GDT: Group B - May 13 - Germany vs Finland

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
6-1 Saksa (Saxons) win

I'm little bit more pessimistic about the result and it actually doesn't make much difference as long as they win this one.

More interesting is that notion of Saxons as a origin of Finnish word for Germany. The name 'Saksa' was already in use in Finnic language before Germanic, Saxon tribes moved westward from those areas that are now called Saksa (= Germany: particularly Lower Saxony, Saxony Anhalt etc.) Saxons still lived in their ancestral lands when the name of the tribe and the land was loaned to Baltic Finnish language(s). There are words in Finnish that tell how and in what kind circumstances the word was originally introduced to Finnish. For example: 'Kauppasaksa' ('travelling trader') and 'kamasaksa' ('merchant of goods').

Old loan it is. From same era when Germanic 'heim' was loaned to Finnish and is used as a Finnish word 'heimo' ('tribe') ever since.

Reactions: Loffer

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Lol you wish. The world cup was such a clear miss tournament if you ever watched ANY NHL.
D consisting of Jokipakka, Lepistö, Lindell, Määttä, Pokka, Ristolainen, Vatanen. And the forwards were Aho, Barkov, Donskoi, Filppula, Granlund, Haula, Jokinen, Koivu, Komarov, Korpikoski, Laine, Lehterä, Teräväinen.
Also, it wasn't like our offense had a tremendous talent like 2018 Rantanen or Aho. Nobody had a fantastic season points-wise. Every other country had a ppg talent* on their roster and hell of a lot better D-men to boot.

That group shouldn't and didn't challenge better teams at all. Sweden breezed past us easily, just as the Russians and the NA team. They simply had better rosters and I wasn't surprised at all that we got dominated as badly as we did.
Many rushes start with the defensemen, and we simply didn't have good ones for that tournament. You also have to remember that this tourney was in 2016, Laine wasn't in the NHL, wasn't ready to these games, we simply had a team of 3-4 liners sprinkled with some 1st line talent. Arguably there were no #1 defensemen on this team either.

There was no offense because the opposition's D was just too good compared to our forward's abilities to do anything against them, which was evident even against the worst D of the group when we played against Russia. End of story. The coach can't do **** in that position.

I never want to hear World Cup again as a narrative against Marjamäki.

*oh.. Well they're certainly PPG talents now. 15-16 was a low scoring year but the firepower for Finland certainly wasn't there compared to pretty much every other team except the Czechs.
Please tell me then, which of world cup roster are these players better; Palola, Manninen, Jormakka, Pesonen, Anttila.

If you truly think this team, has better firepower than Finnish World Cup team... [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm little bit more pessimistic about the result and it actually doesn't make much difference as long as they win this one.

More interesting is that notion of Saxons as a origin of Finnish word for Germany. The name 'Saksa' was already in use in Finnic language before Germanic, Saxon tribes moved westward from those areas that are now called Saksa (= Germany: particularly Lower Saxony, Saxony Anhalt etc.) Saxons still lived in their ancestral lands when the name of the tribe and the land was loaned to Baltic Finnish language(s). There are words in Finnish that tell how and in what kind circumstances the word was originally introduced to Finnish. For example: 'Kauppasaksa' ('travelling trader') and 'kamasaksa' ('merchant of goods').

Old loan it is. From same era when Germanic 'heim' was loaned to Finnish and is used as a Finnish word 'heimo' ('tribe') ever since.

It is funny how everyone have different name for the Germans derived from the name of whichever was the first Germanic tribe their ancestor folks stumbled into back in the day.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Blegh, Germans trying to turtle up and score from turnovers.
Literally the correct type of play when you don't have the material to compete for the puck.
They're doing just fine and they have had their spots in this period, it hasn't been all Finland.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Finland playing completely like garbage at the moment. Lucky to be leading because of Eeli’s fresh legs.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Literally the correct type of play when you don't have the material to compete for the puck.
They're doing just fine and they have had their spots in this period, it hasn't been all Finland.
True, Finland has done it in the past against stronger opponents. I should've toned my expectations down.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not focused and the effort is completely lacking. Finland is looking comical and irritating at the moment.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
He's a bust, 3 games with 0+0 in the big league.

Yeah heh. Lol.

He did successful entry to almost everywhere else than in NHL. Within a year. While being U20 when doing so.

Probably only guy ever in the hockey history who did that. KHL, WJC, Olympics, WHC and NHL during same season.

All games of season 2017-2018 in all above levels combined: 32G+30A=62Pts in 78GP. Established place in the roster of Team Finland.

One of the things I am least concerned in Finnish hockey is that does Eeli make it or not. AINEC.

Reactions: mattihp

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Yeah heh. Lol.

He did successful entry to almost everywhere else than in NHL. Within a year. While being U20 when doing so.

Probably only guy ever in the hockey history who did that. KHL, WJC, Olympics, WHC and NHL during same season.

All games of season 2017-2018 in all above levels combined: 32G+30A=62Pts in 78GP. Established place in the roster of Team Finland.

One of the things I am least concerned in Finnish hockey is that does Eeli make it or not. AINEC.
You missed the 'Enter Eeli Tolvanen' thread. It was a sight to behold.

'The next great goal scorer is about to enter the league.

In this thread we follow his path on taking Preds to the cup.' - @Kuhta
Needless to say I'm joking with that comment.

Reactions: Se829ne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad