GDT: Group B - May 13 - Germany vs Finland

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Not really disappointed because of the loss. They got a point which was very important. Nice for Germans to get a win. They have only beaten us once before. We were terrible in this game, very deserved loss.

I'm not the opinion that Finland played that bad. We have to admit that the Germans defended very well and had a good goalie.
And if you look at the shot statistic Finland clearly shot out the Germans with 38 against 15 shots. Of course this of no interest because at the end only the result counts. But Germans could block a lot of shots and defended very disciplined and effective against the Finns. The Germans protected also the goal very well it was really difficult for the Finns to find a way through all the sticks and legs and the German goalie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mestaruus

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Lol it is not like we haven't played terribly against small nations before, no matter who the coach is. 2011 it went to shootout against Germany, we won that game, but I could've end either way. 2015 we went to shootout against Belarus etc.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not the opinion that Finland played that bad. We have to admit that the Germans defended very well and had a good goalie.
And if you look at the shot statistic Finland clearly shot out the Germans with 38 against 15 shots. Of course this of no interest because at the end only the results counts. But Germans could block a lot of shots and defended very disciplined and effective against the Finns. The Germans protected also the goal very well it was really difficult for the Finns to find a way through all the sticks and legs and the German goalie.

The bounces didn't go in our favor today. Same happened in Finland's favor against Canada, so I'm not going to complain.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe Finns should try a North American as a coach? Or does national pride doesnt allow that?
Not an issue after Curt Lindström.

mm95_etu150511STL_jm.jpg

Reactions: FinRanger

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Too bad germans still won't give a **** about this sport. Having German players in the NHL would be great for the sport, 90 million people is no joke.
More like 80 million, but you're right, we won't give a f***. It's fine tho, I'm good with the Czechs, Finns or Swedes winning in hockey instead of us. It's good when countries are good at sports that they like.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
And if you look at the shot statistic Finland clearly shot out the Germans with 38 against 15 shots. Of course this of no interest because at the end only the results counts. But Germans could block a lot of shots and defended very disciplined and effective against the Finns. The Germans protected also the goal very well it was really difficult for the Finns to find a way through all the sticks and legs and the German goalie.
We were good only in the third period and at beginnin of the game. We played terribly after we scored the first goal.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Rantanens low iq leading in last goal. Reads bounce wrong and takes risk dive in same corner with kapanen
I don’t in fact like too much Rantanen’s defensive play in general. But he is in general a great player nowadays definitely. I just don’t like how he often reads positional play with defending, but he makes up very much with his excellent offensive play. And even if he is not the best defensively, he is not at least piss poor with that. With the right kind of linemates and defensive pairs he is nowadays an absolutely wonderful player.

I have learned to enjoy watching him play, although two years ago he looked still way too passive and lethargic to me. Usually it’s difficult to change those traits as a player, but it seems to me that he has managed to do that pretty well after all. I really like him a lot nowadays, although he is not really that good defensively. But to me it’s still better to be an absolute offensive powerhouse than a very defensive player, if you play in the top two lines.

Well, ok one player in a top line can be even a defensive guru, but not all have to still be that. But if all three are offensively talented enough, even that might not be needed.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
More like 80 million, but you're right, we won't give a ****. It's fine tho, I'm good with the Czechs, Finns or Swedes winning in hockey instead of us. It's good when countries are good at sports that they like.

I guess it comes down to what sport came first. Once a sport has established itself for certain amount of time, its almost impossible to change the dynamic.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Berry Hill is some strange leisure suit Larry, such a soft, indifferent and gentle impression he gives in interviews. Sure, it is his controlled public image but man, anyway, does he take some medication or what -to always have that same expressionless face and voice, monotonous, autistic, lethargic - I dunno if he has the fire hidden somewhere so deep inside him it has already faded away or if it ever even was there - does he as if "shout" in the locker room if need be, is it an affected awkward display giving only his passionless, tiring character with no leadership nor charisma away. Sleeping pill? I will give you Mr. Larry Berry Hill. A walking sleeping pill in his non-stop sleep paralysis.

The biggest problem with this "used to be the next big name in hockey coaching Finlandese" is his flat out flat and uninspiring persona.

You cannot expect this kind of a public servant type grey and retiring guy to get a group of people energized and inspired to get a job done if the job in itself is not the most lucrative, inspiring or energizing one. And then this is what you'll get, a flat egg. In a short hectic tournament where the needed substance is mostly personality based competence.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I guess it comes down to what sport came first. Once a sport has established itself for certain amount of time, its almost impossible to change the dynamic.
Hard to train football for kids when weather is horrible and just non playable for 8-9 months per year. You always give huge training edge for south countries. The global warming has helped south finland bit in that though. Most finland even helsinki still alot minus celsius and lot of snow, where would our kids train? Most do not train alot then which shows

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Hard to train football for kids when weather is horrible and just non playable for 8-9 months per year. You always give huge training edge for south countries. The global warming hbs helped south finland bit in that thouht

Well Germany cant really be classified as a Southern country. Neither can Denmark and yet football is #2, same in Sweden.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Well Germany cant really be classified as a Southern country. Neither can Denmark and yet football is #2, same in Sweden.
Denmark and south sweden dont have real winter - football almost always playable. No 3ft snow which simply makes fields unplayable and ground too slippery. And to play in winter jacket? Forget and start hockey

Reactions: Ippenator

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Denmark and south sweden dont have real winter - football almost always playable. No 3ft snow which simply makes fields unplayable and ground too slippery. And to play in winter jacket? Forget and start hockey

Thats weird. We are about as North as Denmark and this years winter was absolutley brutal.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Well, one of the northernmost teams (RoPS) is currently leading the Finnish soccer league :)

It's not that easy to have a very good soccer team for a country with lower population too. Only the Netherlands managed to have a very good Team year after year.
Anyway Finland had some very good players. Litmanen for example.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Berry Hill is some strange leisure suit Larry, so soft, indifferent and gentle impression he gives in interviews. Sure, it is his controlled public image but man, anyway, does he take some medication or what -to always have that same expressionless face and voice, monotonous, autistic, lethargic - I dunno if he has the fire hidden somewhere so deep inside him it has already faded away or if it ever even was there - does he as if "shout" in the locker room if need be, is it an affected awkward display giving only his passionless, tiring character with no leadership nor charisma away. Sleeping pill? I will give you Mr. Larry Berry Hill. Walking sleeping pill in his non-stop sleep paralysis.

fLBWdaK.jpg

He is Eugene from the Walking Dead. I'm guessing some people here have watched that. He looks like him and he kinda does some things similar to Eugene in the series, just too many similarities if you start digging into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad