GDT: Group B - May 12 - Canada vs Finland

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
So, ratio Finns watching hockey v Eurovision (that's still going on wtf) tonight?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The guy who leads the entire league in take aways? Is that right?

Sounds like the Finnish analyst is as clueless as you are

I like how McElhinney gave them 4 goals on a silver platter yet you spend your time in this thread today just bashing McDavid. Thats weird.
Takeaways are practically meaningless when defining if someone is really good defensively or not. I don’t know why some North Americans think that takeaways tell really much at all about how good a player is defensively. They happen so rarely per game that it tells absolutely nothing of the defensive effort in general and the success in the most important thing, which is preventing the opponent from scoring through the whole game.

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Why all the talk about Finlands bad d-men. Sure, not the best in the world. But look at Canadas, mediocre at most.
Edmundson - sucks, wouldnt even be a top player in any european top league.
Vlasic - Decent defensive d, forget offense
Paryako - Can shoot, and then?
Ekblad - Decent, but most of all a crybaby
Pulock - WHO?!
Nurse - Below average NHL d
Ryan Murray - Who?

Many of these players get some good deals with NHL clubs mainly because they are Canadian. There are so many european players that deserve their spots and contracts.

End of rant.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Amazing game by the Finns, they made Canada this bad. Great strategy, great goaltending and solid defense.

However, I do believe it would have been better for the Finnish team to lose this one. Should they meet again when it really counts, Canada will bring a completely different game. Canada rarely loses to the same team twice during a tournament.

I hope you win vs both Germany and the US so we don’t have to face you in the qf. I’d rather see us playing Denmark or Canada.

Ekblad is such a wanker.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Why all the talk about Finlands bad d-men. Sure, not the best in the world. But look at Canadas, mediocre at most.
Pulock - WHO?!
Ryan Murray - Who?

Many of these players get some good deals with NHL clubs mainly because they are Canadian. There are so many european players that deserve their spots and contracts.

End of rant.
This comment will go over well.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Takeaways are practically meaningless when defining if someone is really good defensively or not. I don’t know why some North Americans think that takeaways tell really much at all about how good a player is defensively. They happen so rarely per game that it tells absolutely nothing of the defensive effort in general and the success in the most important thing, which is preventing the opponent from scoring through the whole game.

It says nothing about the defensive effort? I disagree. McDavid also had 111 takeaways so it happened more often for him than any other player. If you watch him play you would know he's good defensively. He also keeps the puck in the other teams offensive zone the majority of his shifts which makes it impossible for the other team to score.

McDavid is an excellent player on both ends of the ice

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Only 6 % is my best guess... Yet they are no ordinary "minority" but "better folk" with all service and educational institution of their own/in Swedish. Plus best places along the shoreline of Finland. : D - The "coast Swedes" as they are called.
My best friend and my son’s Godfather is a Swedish talking Finn, but he is rare in that, that he speaks good Finnish too and he always says proudly that he is a Finn first of all and never wants to bring up his Swedish talking background. But I have noticed still that he is definitely very happy to speak Swedish with anyone whom can speak it with him. I will not do it with him though, even how good friend he is... :)

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Pulock - WHO?!
Ryan Murray - Who?

End of rant.
:biglaugh:

The Edmundson - Parayko pairing was excellent, not sure what game you watched...

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
McDavid played pretty good no need to bash him. His only fault was stupid penalty. Im nlt so sure abojt that captain thing but definitely best player of team Canada.

Pataatti

Jul 5, 2014
Barzal sure is a very good player. But he is also a very cocky POS! I saw him play in quite many games this season, and every game it was obvious how effin full of himself he really is. But darn good too, can’t deny it for sure!
Yea I'm not saying either is a bad players. Both are awesome as players, but they seems a bit full of themselves like you put it.
Also Ekblads comments after the games makes him look like a very bad loser. Bad quality in any athlete IMO.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
You might be biased

Cumina

Sep 26, 2016
Only 6 % is my best guess... Yet they are no ordinary "minority" but "better folk" with all service and educational institution of their own/in Swedish. Plus best places along the shoreline of Finland. : D - The "coast Swedes" as they are called.

Umm... You're way off there, buddy. Roughly 6 % of Finns are Swedish-speaking Finns, which means they speak Swedish as their first language.

Most of us have nothing to do with Sweden familywise, we are just descendants of Finns who spoke Swedish as their mother tongue, due to Swedish rule in Finland that existed for about 600 years, ending in 1809.

I'm a Swedish-speaking Finn, with roots in Scotland, Poland, Switzerland, Germany and Russia.

I'll take a wild guess and say that probably 90% of Swedish-speaking Finns have nothing to do with Sweden familywise.

But, I still refer to myself as a "hurri", which might piss some other hurris off :)

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
35-65 maybe hockey. I think many are watching both I think.

Mind you, not that I watched ESC but checked out the quick voting part and comparatively Finnish hockey wins by a very large margin. From what I heard - albeit 20 seconds or so, Finland really sucked - and yes, so did Sweden. Actually so did most of them. There was some woman in a gold cat suit and a half vampire man and a very bad James Blunt copy and some others which are too bizarre to be believed.

Reactions: FinPanda

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Seen a couple, enough to give me an an opinion atleast
TBH, it sounds like you have not watched them play very much and have formed a very flawed opinion on both players. How did you think they played in this game?

I thought both Edmundson and especially Parayko made very good reads and were very effective pinching in at the blue line. They kept the play in the offensive zone going several times for Canada, leading to some extended zone time and good offensive pressure. Both were excellent in their own end and on the PK. Parayko wasn't great on the PP, but then again, the entire team Canada PP was pretty awful IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad