GDT: Group B - May 11 - Denmark vs Norway

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
What happened to Norway? They're just not producing young talented players at anywhere near the same rate as Denmark? I still remember when Norway had Espen Knutsen playing in the NHL, it seemed completely unattainable for Danish players. And now we've completely overtaken them. Norway basically only have Zuccharello now, while Denmark has 7.

Looks like they have been caught in the middle of a generational change with their pants down.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Norway should be resting from now on, they're down if they lose to Korea in regulation.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Norway needs something out there..

A fight perhaps....that they'll likely loose too..

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What happened to Norway? They're just not producing young talented players at anywhere near the same rate as Denmark? I still remember when Norway had Espen Knutsen playing in the NHL, it seemed completely unattainable for Danish players. And now we've completely overtaken them. Norway basically only have Zuccharello now, while Denmark has 7.
Denmark and Switzerland have improved dramatically while Norway and Germany stayed the same and Slovakia dropped their level a lot. Here's the quick overview of 7-11 hockey countries in the world. Norway really isn't much worse, they have a team of mostly solid Euro pros but at this point you don't get far without NHL talent at all.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is this just me or does it feel like it's the first tournament Boedker is real impact player for Denmark?

Quonis

Jan 3, 2015
Copenhagen
Denmark and Switzerland have improved dramatically while Norway and Germany stayed the same and Slovakia dropped their level a lot. Here's the quick overview of 7-11 hockey countries in the world. Norway really isn't much worse, they have a team of mostly solid Euro pros but at this point you don't get far without NHL talent at all.

Yeah. I checked the NHL drafts for the last 5 years. Denmark had 7 players drafted (including 3 in 2016 and 2 in 2017). Norway only had 2 players drafted. Meanwhile Switzerland had no less than 15 players drafted. They really have done wonders moving their hockey forward.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Denmark seems to have an emerging hockey culture and efficient junior program (sending kids to play on the other side of the Bridge, but anyways), at least as of now, and many able successful players aboard, also making living in the top flight of the NHL. Meanwhile Norge stays put and their possible development in hockey is nowhere to be seen, not in the short, middle or even long-term. Probably and paradoxically the main reason being that the land of herring, torsk og olje is a winter-sport country with real snowy winters and thus long traditions and huge success in things like skiing (cross country and alpine) and ski-jumping which was BTW born in Telemark, Norge some hundred years (?) ago. So, the nations wide attention is stolen by these big winter sports and they get the most of the public and also private resources securing their absolute or relative top dog positions in them. In Denmark on the other hand there are no real winter sports to compete with hockey, the sports like handball and especially footballa are played over winter but are not winter sports in the same sense. There is some room to hockey to breath and blossom in Denmark, apparently, Not that I am an expert in this particular subject-matter (even though I regard myself as a poor mans polymath) but just some thoughts that crossed my mind while sitting here and writing ideas on virtual paper in this context - to kill some time plus a couple of banana flies along the way. frigging pests, they truly are no pets!

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
gone are the days of vikingstad, myrovold, holtet, bastiansen, tommy jakobsen, trygg, thoresen, skröder.....

olimb brothers and zucarello are the only decent players norway have atm...and they are getting old...

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Quonis

Jan 3, 2015
Copenhagen
Noone is gonna lose to South Korea lol :laugh: they are as good as gone
Indeed. South Korea is just about the worst team to play at the top level for a very long time. With the current format of 2 groups of 8 teams, no team has ever managed to not get a single point in the group phase. I have no idea where South Korea would get that point here. Belarus in group A is also on 0 points, but they at least have a chance against Austria.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah. I checked the NHL drafts for the last 5 years. Denmark had 7 players drafted (including 3 in 2016 and 2 in 2017). Norway only had 2 players drafted. Meanwhile Switzerland had no less than 15 players drafted. They really have done wonders moving their hockey forward.

And the Norwegians drafted has been drafted late. 165 is the highest of those two. The other one was a kid they drafted at 213, and obviously a big gambling (and he spent the season getting scratched in Allsvenskan, so probably a miss by the Caps there, early, but still.)

Hockey is not a priority in Norway, sadly. It's more or less the one big winter-sport Norway don't go hard for. Denmark, however, basically don't do winter-sports, so it must be easier for them to do one of them.

On another note, the Norwegians commentators, as in Espen Knutsen, regards some of the penaltys as cases they should have sent of the Dane for embellishment. Any neutral fans here?

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Norway will be a bottom team in the future. Not expecting them to get relegated, but they'll seriously have to fight for their spot.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
olimb brothers and zucarello are the only decent players norway have atm...and they are getting old...
Both goalies, Holos and Bonsaksen are pretty solid as well. But yeah, combined with their junior teams sucking the future is very blank, Latvia will soon overtake them.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Norway will be a bottom team in the future. Not expecting them to get relegated, but they'll seriously have to fight for their spot.

I must admit I expected the relegation to come already this year. I may still be right, I hope not.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Norway is already on 3 points. There's absolutely no way this team loses to South Korea. Norway may still technically be in danger of being relegated, but it's just not going to happen.

South Korea shouldnt have been promoted in the first place. Pointless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad