GDT: Group B - February 16 - Russia (8) vs Slovenia (2)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
2018 Olympic Tournament
Group B

February 16
2:40 AM ET • 8:40 AM CET

russia_64.png
slovenia_64.png

Russia
Confirmed lineup

Goaltenders:
30 Ilya Sorokin
83 Vasily Koshechkin

Defensemen:
4 Vladislav Gavrikov - 26 Vyacheslav Voynov
55 Bogdan Kiselevich - 89 Nikita Nesterov
2 Artyom Zub - 28 Andrei Zubarev
44 Yegor Yakolev

Forwards:
21 Sergei Kalinin - 11 Sergei Andronov "A" - 71 Ilya Kovalchuk "A"
77 Kirill Kaprizov - 13 Pavel Datsyuk "C" - 97 Nikita Gusev
52 Sergei Shirokov - 74 Nikolai Prokhorkin - 94 Alexander Barabanov
10 Sergei Mozyakin - 25 Mikhail Grigorenko - 7 Ivan Telegin
29 Ilya Kablukov

Scratched:
G 31 Igor Shestyorkin
D 53 Alexei Marchenko
F 87 Vadim Shipachyov

Slovenia
Confirmed lineup

Goaltenders:
32 Gašper Krošelj
40 Luka Gracnar

Defensemen:
15 Blaž Gregorc - 51 Mitja Robar "A"
14 Matic Podlipnik - 86 Sabahudin Kovacevic
23 Luka Vidmar - 61 Jurij Repe
17 Žiga Pavlin

Forwards:
26 Jan Urbas - 39 Jan Muršak "C" - 91 Miha Verlic
8 Žiga Jeglic - 24 Rok Ticar "A" - 55 Robert Sabolic
19 Žiga Pance - 22 Marcel Rodman - 71 Boštjan Golicic
18 Ken Ograjenšek - 16 Aleš Mušic - 92 Anže Kuralt
84 Andrej Hebar

Scratched:
G 69 Matija Pintaric
D 28 Aleš Kranjc
F 12 David Rodman

Last edited:

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
Russia comes out much more ready because of loss to Slovakia, Slovenija likely won't be ale to handle their big guys. Ideally Russia would've coasted to a win against Slovakia and Slovenia takes them by surprise.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
That's the issue with taking so many grinders. One key injury (Shipachyov) and you're down to only one pure scoring line.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Slovenia was so close to being out of that period tied and at worst down one goal.

Tough to give up that second one.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Just knew the skill would overtake eventually. Slovenia just can't keep up. Been chasing the whole game, hence all the penalties on their side.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
Is he injured? At least he practised yesterday.

I think so. But say for example he's not playing well, and u wanna try a different look. If you have more skilled players you can plug a Khokhlachev or Tkachyov in there. Instead you have a bunch of role players in there who are good at what they do but shouldn't really be in the top 6. Russia's big advantage coming into this tournament should have been scoring depth, instead they chose to give that up by selecting players from only two teams.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Mike Milbury makes these games impossible to enjoy. He's like that guy that sits next to you at the game and he's completely sloshed halfway through the first and he won't stfu about whatever tangent he's on. We get it Mike. You think the OAR thing is a joke. Move on please.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
OAR is doing what they should be doing... The KHL has the best players outside of the AHL and NHL, which have pretty much zero representation here. If OAR doesn't win the gold here...well...they are never winning it.

Datsyuk and Kovalchuk....lmao. These guys are still be top six players in the NHL.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Okay, I'm generally a fan of rules being called to the letter, but calling Slovenia for a double faceoff violation in an 8-1 game with 5 minutes left... why?

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
Good bounce back game. Consistent effort, and a bit more movement on the PP. I also like breaking up the Kovy-Dats-Mozyakin line, not enough active legs with 3 older players on one line. I Just wish we had more skilled players to have some more available combinations.

It's not indicative of anything because it's Slovenia. But psychologically speaking its a good start to the tourney. A close loss to show that you can't take other teams for granted, and a bit of beating in the second game to get some confidence going.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Olympic hockey for ya...they follow the rules until the final buzzer goes.

And what's wrong with following rules?
Maybe they have to call like in the NHL? And don't call the elbows to the head at the end of the game (like in Minnesota tonight) because the winning team is already up by 2?

Reactions: 4th Line Beast

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nothing wrong with losing in the round robin portion.

Ultimately, Russia was never going to prove anything one way or another before the knock out games.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
And what's wrong with following rules?
Maybe they have to call like in the NHL? And don't call the elbows to the head at the end of the game (like in Minnesota tonight) because the winning team is already up by 2?

Yes because calling a faceoff violation when a team who is already head over shoulders above their opponent, while also being up 7 goals is EXACTLY the same as two NHL teams and one being up two goals and getting called for ELBOWING.

Like...what the hell? I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, they obviously broke a rule, but it’s also an 8-1 game so I don’t really care for a faceoff violation penalty at that point.

I don’t remember saying I have a huge issue with it...it’s literally fact, that’s how Olympic Hockey is, they call it strict until the final whistle unlike the NHL where a faceoff violation wouldn’t be called in an 8-1 game.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Much better effort today, with a number of needed guns firing. If they play with the drive and intensity they showed today, along with the skill that is evident, they will be hard to beat.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Olympic hockey for ya...they follow the rules until the final buzzer goes.

That's the way it should be. The whole "the worst lead in hockey is a 2 goal lead"...wonder why? Ref game management, because if you have the lead you can expect some softy penalties being called against you and the other team generally getting away with murder.

I don't care if its 10-0, if there's a penalty you call it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad