GDT: Group A - May 15 - Russia vs Sweden

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Canada is likely done in the QF, its one of our most underwhelming Canadian entries I've ever seen at this tournament thus far. Such a drastic change from the past 3 years. Enjoy the semifinal Russia.
But canada has the best player in the world

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Great game but they should have ended it earlier. This Russian team is the worst I've seen for years. The last 10 min was a bit nerve wrecking.

Anyway, I'm just glad we got the win and the easy route in the QFs.

Just stay the f*** out of the penalty box and we are pretty much already in the finals.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Great game but they should have ended it earlier. This Russian team is the worst I've seen for years. The last 10 min was a bit nerve wrecking.

Just stay the **** out of the penalty box and we are pretty much already in the finals.
Please for gods sake don’t say easy.

SeattleSportsFan

May 1, 2018
Canada is likely done in the QF, its one of our most underwhelming Canadian entries I've ever seen at this tournament thus far. Such a drastic change from the past 3 years. Enjoy the semifinal Russia.

Your not even going to give Canada a chance? They might prove you wrong. Canada always ups their game against Russia.

Reactions: Jablkon

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Your not even going to give Canada a chance? They might prove you wrong. Canada always ups their game against Russia.

I beg to differ, Russia's record vs. Canada has been very bad in the last years. I think Russia sort of sealed its fate with the loss vs. Sweden today.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU

You might have jinxed it. ;)

Latvia has a spirited team, now with absolutely nothing to lose vs swedish nhl-ers who might underestimate the Latvians

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Canada will bring their A game versus Russia and McDavid will show why is the best hockey player in the world :D

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You might have jinxed it. ;)

Latvia has a spirited team, now with absolutely nothing to lose vs swedish nhl-ers who might underestimate the Latvians
Underestimate? It won't ever happen again. That 3-4 loss against Belarus will never happen again. That's deep within the Swedish hockey soul, I promise you. Never again. That cut a piece of my heart out, especially as the Swedish hockey team was stacked, while also the football team simultaneously lost against Senegal on a golden goal in the World Cup QF in Japan/ South Korea, where Sweden pressured impressively, but Senegal won a lucky "strumprullare" with a bullshit rule that killed the entire overtime. If I would describe the feeling I had in 2002, it would be: "Gaaaaaah!"

And then, if Sweden would've beaten goddamn Senegal, it would've been a spring break , considering the ease of the way towards the gold medal game. I mean Turkey won the bronze and we absolutely would've beat them. The spring/ summer of 2002 were the worst months EVER as a Swedish sports fan.

If Latvia wants to win, they simply have to be better for 60 minutes. It will never be because Sweden ever underestimates a hockey team again in an important game. That's what I feel as a hockey fan, spontaneously. What management will say is: "Remember Belarus. REMEMBER BELARUS! GO! GO! GO!". Anything else and I will be thoroughly disappointed. Never forget Belarus.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFG

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Sweden 3- 4 Germany

Sorry, I had to :sarcasm:
In a clown tournament, whatever. They weren't better than that, the SHL has shrunk from the vaccuming of the NHL, KHL and Swiss Hockey League (whatever initials they use), to a pulp of what it has formerly been. Before, there were still eligible players in SHL still playing, like Kenny Jönsson, etc. Nowadays? The incredible loss of players every year, cannot be upheld by the growth of talent from the Swedish hockey system. It's the same incredible, yearly drain as everywhere worth poaching. The moment you have any shred of incredible talent or a gold medal team, buh-bye to that throng of players, annually. Just great. Swedish hockey is what a third world country would feel like, trying to do something about their situation in a capitalistic system. You're just f***ed whatever you do. The suffering will be all yours if you want to improve the situation. Good luck starving.

The economical poaching of quality players is immense and the hockey world doesn't care that any league but the NHL and the KHL grow. Any other league shrinks, badly. So the hot shot leagues play communism, while it's a "fair" competition "by drafting" to anyone else. Really fair, conscripts from foreign countries with a golden contract, I mean, at least the club getting poached by the poaching retrieves money to fill the vending machine for a year if they lose a world star. They really give their thumbs up to that deal.

This is basically hockey imperialism, so if I care about the olympic joke of a tournament without the capitalist/ communist, imperialist entertainment business cartel joining, no. Sweden were locked out of 3+ hockey teams. The D team losing is irrelevant.

What chances do grassroot sports clubs have against ruthless insanity? None. So no, no one cares.

What is the difference between the Red Army hockey team, formed by officers of the Soviet Union who could play hockey, and the NHL? None. It's in the name FFS. "DRAFT". Pure communism, as long as it benefits the benevolent leaders. So cheers to you, f***ing NHL, the communist/ capitalist/ imperalist entertainment cartel business. You want to kill hockey. You don't care, the sport is the nieche of the profitable business (somehow considered legal in its incredibly predotary form), until all the buffalos are dead. Then the owners head on to something else to suck dry.

TL;DR Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. Screw a predatory entertainment system preying on public sport outside their disgusting borders. Globalism is great, yeah, sure.

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Janmarks keep in was awesome!

Yes, Janmark + seconds before that Adam Larsson keeping the puck in the offensive zone was instrumental for the 2nd goal.
Team Sweden battled their way back into this game due to the Zibanejad-line striking again-again. :popcorn:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I have to give the guys great credit for fighting hard and stretching Sweden all the way to the final whistle. There aren't enough good players to win games against that level of competition this year, but they made a game of it and came close to taking it to overtime. Sweden looked really impressive, and it is hard to imagine them losing. Could be a big matchup with Finland in the finals.

I would like to see a goaltender change. Not that Koshechkin has given up a lot of goals, he hasn't. But he has big problems with pucks at his feet, and he is too slow in the net to fight off second chances. On Sweden's second goal, it was a matter of him not moving quickly enough on a wraparound to handle a very stoppable shot. That really hurt. I would like to see Shestyorkin, who has 2 shutouts in 2 games, make his encore.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I have to give the guys great credit for fighting hard and stretching Sweden all the way to the final whistle. There aren't enough good players to win games against that level of competition this year, but they made a game of it and came close to taking it to overtime. Sweden looked really impressive, and it is hard to imagine them losing. Could be a big matchup with Finland in the finals.

I would like to see a goaltender change. Not that Koshechkin has given up a lot of goals, he hasn't. But he has big problems with pucks at his feet, and he is too slow in the net to fight off second chances. On Sweden's second goal, it was a matter of him not moving quickly enough on a wraparound to handle a very stoppable shot. That really hurt. I would like to see Shestyorkin, who has 2 shutouts in 2 games, make his encore.

I watched Koshechkin closely, and thought he had a pretty good day. He played really well particularly in the 1st period, when he didn't give up a single rebound, driving the Swedish offense nuts. Maybe he could have been quicker on that go-ahead goal, but I can't fault him with Zibanjad's equalizer... that was just a great shot executed on a perfect screen by Rakell. :thumbu:
A propos Russian goaltenders, I really don't get why we haven't seen CSKA's fantastic Ilya Sorokin playing a single match - how come Vorobyev doesn't like him? :huh:

Last edited:

jimstark

May 22, 2014

I agree on Koshechkin i hope they go for Shestyorkin against Canada. On the second goal i dont think i have seen a slower goaltender. Even my grandfather would have time to skate around like that and score.

I think Russia played very well and had several amazing chances they could easily been up 3-0 during the second periode. Dadonov looks a litle hurt/tired but then explode from time to time and Gusev was a litle off (not on the first goal ofcourse) but his shoot was way off in this game.

Yes its a B/C Russian team this year because of injuries etc but dont count them out if they play like this with a litle bit more accuracy they can win it all. I love the spirit in this team and they play hard. Their D is good but why oh why does they not shoot more?? Every year its the same they dont shoot unless they have one min to do it. Get pucks on the net and get the garbage goal thats part of the modern hockey. They will beat Canada :)

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Wouldnt happen with Pettersson!

And well...now we know what Germany is with NHL (some of them), involved.

No, you don't. :sarcasm: Have a a closer look at our roster - we've been playing without 15 of our 25 silver medal winners.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
No, you don't. :sarcasm: Have a a closer look at our roster - we've been playing without 15 of our 25 silver medal winners.

Well its just hard to compare with the reality us hockey fans have to live with. And Sweden was still favs against Germany in the Olympics too if course, the Germans played very well.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Please for gods sake don’t say easy.
Now we now who to blame .
The man with no name.

Sounds like a Bob Dyland song or something.

Yeah we should not take the task of winning over Lettland lightly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->