GDT: Group A - May 12 - Slovakia vs Sweden

maximafinogenov7

May 10, 2018
Great performance by Slovaks. They have more shots in second and third period than Sweden. Although, they lost it. Never mind, game with Russia will be exciting.

Reactions: Index

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Janmark is probably getting demoted. We’ll see how they choose to use Arvy and Forsberg either next to Kempe or Backlund. And then there is the whole thing with finding a good spot for Hörnqvist.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Janmark is probably getting demoted. We’ll see how they choose to use Arvy and Forsberg either next to Kempe or Backlund. And then there is the whole thing with finding a good spot for Hörnqvist.

Janmark is playing way too much on the perimeter. Looks pretty against the weaker teams but Kempe should get a longer look on that line.

Reactions: EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Janmark is playing way too much on the perimeter. Looks pretty against the weaker teams but Kempe should get a longer look on that line.
I want Kempe to center though, as we only have two good and natural centers.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Even tho ep had a goal and assist last game, i thought he easily had his best game of the tourny this morning.

Reactions: DDRhockey

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I'll say I've been specifically paying attention to Pettersson. And he still hasn't proven me that he's managed to address the concerns I had about him before this season. In fact, the same issues are there.

To be honest, these frequent comments about how insane he is - I really haven't seen it despite having been watching the entire time. Look at what he does, not how.
Care to elaborate what those concerns would be? The only thing i see is that he's a little light - which makes him fall down at times when players gets physical towards him when he's protecting the puck. Other than that, he sees the ice extremely well and you can tell that there's a lot of talent there. Don't think there's a single player on the current swedish team who has a higher hockey IQ than him, which says something. He has shown flashes of his brilliance throughout the tournament. He's the type of guy who can drive a line by his own, even though he's not a center. His line with Backlund and Nyquist has been pretty underwhelming so far which doesn't help him either. Still think he has been the best player out of that line though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Care to elaborate what those concerns would be?
1. He easily gets pushed off the puck.
2. He seems to try overly risky and difficult plays without great success or doesn't seem to understand that they really don't have very much point to them.
3. He seems to have difficulties with quick decision-making and letting go of the puck in a manner that progresses the game.

As a result, he's often getting pushed around and often puts himself into situations to get pushed around. He makes plays that are pretty but on closer look aren't very effective and a better decision could have been made. Take the "highlight goal attempt" through his legs stuff. Was it a tough one for the goalie? Didn't really seem like it, he was with it the entire time and had no real issues making the save. Would something else have been smarter to try? Or some dangle along the boards where he dangles for a while, gets pushed over and the puck taken away from him. I could only think: "Now what was the point of that?", although I'm sure some others appreciated the quick hands.

Another one is that his movement without the puck is strange, especially on the forecheck. But that might be a system thing, I'm not sure. I found him to be rather lost a lot of the time. Many, many shifts went by where he never was in a good position to receive the puck in the first place.

I'll also contrast with Mittelstadt here. Both are highly skilled players but Mittelstadt seems to have more "meaning" to his nifty plays. Didn't really see that thing by Pettersson in this tournament...

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
1. He easily gets pushed off the puck.
2. He seems to try overly risky and difficult plays without great success or doesn't seem to understand that they really don't have very much point to them.
3. He seems to have difficulties with quick decision-making and letting go of the puck in a manner that progresses the game.

As a result, he's often getting pushed around and often puts himself into situations to get pushed around. He makes plays that are pretty but on closer look aren't very effective and a better decision could have been made. Take the "highlight goal attempt" through his legs stuff. Was it a tough one for the goalie? Didn't really seem like it, he was with it the entire time and had no real issues making the save. Would something else have been smarter to try? Or some dangle along the boards where he dangles for a while, gets pushed over and the puck taken away from him. I could only think: "Now what was the point of that?", although I'm sure some others appreciated the quick hands.

Another one is that his movement without the puck is strange, especially on the forecheck. But that might be a system thing, I'm not sure. I found him to be rather lost a lot of the time. Many, many shifts went by where he never was in a good position to receive the puck in the first place.

I'll also contrast with Mittelstadt here. Both are highly skilled players but Mittelstadt seems to have more "meaning" to his nifty plays. Didn't really see that thing by Pettersson in this tournament...
Other than 1, which is pretty much the same thing as what i mentioned, i don't really see any of your other points in his game. He thinks the game a few steps ahead and i haven't really thought about him ever holding onto the puck for too long. Rather, he's a guy who knows when he should hold onto the puck, freezing his opponents.

I agree that the through the legs move wasn't really "close" to being a goal. Don't think it was a bad attempt or a stupid attempt though. He didn't do it just for the sake of showing off. That's not the type of player he is.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
You can all speculate until Trump outsmart his hair. But its only when Pettersson is playing in Nhl we will realy know how good he is. Great that he tries to play his game. And great that he got to play. This will teach him wich level he has to aim for. Maby not this game... Swedens focus couldent have been blurrier. Did they get peppersprayed in the eyes before getting on ice?

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I didn't get to watch this as I had other things to do, but looking at the stats... Holy hell wtf happened to Sweden after the 1st? 21-8 SOG in the 1st and the final SOG count is 33-28.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I didn't get to watch this as I had other things to do, but looking at the stats... Holy hell wtf happened to Sweden after the 1st? 21-8 SOG in the 1st and the final SOG count is 33-28.

Slovakia started taking shots every opportunity they got, most of them weren't results of sustained zone pressure. Still, Sweden basically stopped playing in the third for whatever reason.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
He has shown flashes of his brilliance throughout the tournament. He's the type of guy who can drive a line by his own, even though he's not a center. His line with Backlund and Nyquist has been pretty underwhelming so far which doesn't help him either. Still think he has been the best player out of that line though.

None of this has been true in the tournament though.

I don't doubt he'll have a great NHL career, but claiming he's been the best in his line and blaming his line being underwhelming on everyone but him is just vain.

He's young so obviously he'll get there, but pretending hes already there is ridicolous.

Reactions: theslatcher

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I agree that the through the legs move wasn't really "close" to being a goal. Don't think it was a bad attempt or a stupid attempt though. He didn't do it just for the sake of showing off. That's not the type of player he is.

Yea there's no reason to hate on that attempt, it was a good attempt to catch the goalie off guard and it sometimes works sometimes doesn't, was worth a try

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Slovakia started taking shots every opportunity they got, most of them weren't results of sustained zone pressure. Still, Sweden basically stopped playing in the third for whatever reason.
Just looking at the stats: Slovakia didn't generate more SOG really(8-6-11), but Sweden came to a halt after the 1st (21-5-4)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He's been good in every game.

Good to hear. I'm expecting big things from him next year for the Oilers, I think he just had a bit of a down year.

From the previous game I saw he looked really good and poised.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
None of this has been true in the tournament though.

I don't doubt he'll have a great NHL career, but claiming he's been the best in his line and blaming his line being underwhelming on everyone but him is just vain.

He's young so obviously he'll get there, but pretending hes already there is ridicolous.
Acting like i wrote something i did not now are we? What isn't true? I did say that his line has been underwhelming, which would include him as someone being underwhelming since he's a part of that line. It's relevant to the case that his whole line hasn't been good. Never said that he himself dominated and is being let down only by his line. And if he hasn't been the best one out of his line, then who has? Backlund has looked slow and uninvolved so far, Nyquist hasn't really done anything special.

Looking at Pettersson, i often see him trying to be a difference maker on the ice, you always see him pretty much driving his PP unit which is filled with NHLers. I really don't know how you can think that it's outrageous that someone thinks he has been better than the other 2. It would be outrageous however to think that any of those 2 have played on a higher level than Pettersson so far in the tournament. They're all pretty equal but i'd say that Pettersson has been the better of the 3 so far.

Reactions: EK47

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I haven't seen Slovakia play this creative in a long time. For once their forwards didn't fumble with the puck all the time and could make tape-to-tape passes. Was happy to see it.

Reactions: PapaQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad