Confirmed with Link: Griffin Reinhart Selected By the Las Vegas Golden Knights in NHL Expansion Draft

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Well, there's the idea that all of them are cheap. All of them are likely no worse options than the seven AHL signings we saw on July 1st last season. And with two of the three, they're still in their mid 20s, so they likely haven't peaked physically either. The idea behind Hemsky or Yakupov is to find secondary scoring. How are they any different than Ty Rattie or Pontus Aberg? They 'suck' too.

Like I said, Reinhart has been a good AHLer who trended well in his final season here. I'd prefer him over bringing back either of Lowe or Simpson. Worst case next fall is someone claims him off of waivers and we have a free roster spot.

but the point is to also find cheap players that can play in the NHL.
Hemsky has been done for several years. If Yak had anything he would have shown it this year, and Reinhart just isn't good enough to be an NHL player.
if you perhaps picked players that have any chance of helping the oilers, you might have more support for your suggestions.
your ideas so far will make the team worse.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
These forums are usually BETTER at scouting.

It's pretty sad but this is honestly true. As someone who's become an avid-draft watcher, I can confidently say that I would much prefer a team of our top draft-watching posters to the Oilers drafting ability over the past 12 or so years. With Chia's picks pending as I do think a bunch of them seem pretty good, but we'll see what happens.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
I'm sure I'm reading this wrong but do you not think there is a serious issue with the Oilers drafting and development? Yes every team has misses but every team also has better hits than this one.

Tampa turned a third round pick into Brayden Point and just check out their 2011 draft:

View attachment 114919

Meanwhile, in Edmonton...

View attachment 114921

If the Oilers are ever going to be successful they're going to need to unearth gems like Kucherov or Subban every so often. Just looking at those stat lines is embarrassing.

What's worse is that 2011 was a pretty solid draft year for the Oilers..........

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It's pretty sad but this is honestly true. As someone who's become an avid-draft watcher, I can confidently say that I would much prefer a team of our top draft-watching posters to the Oilers drafting ability over the past 12 or so years. With Chia's picks pending as I do think a bunch of them seem pretty good, but we'll see what happens.
Actually, if they had went by Central scouting's list for the last 7 or 8 year's they would have faired better.!

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Actually, if they had went by Central scouting's list for the last 7 or 8 year's they would have faired better.!
Any notable passes from Central Scouting?

Obviously those nepotism picks were wasted. But if we followed CS to the letter who would we have ended up with?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Central Scouting maybe but I seriously doubt that a group of fans would out draft our staff. It'd be a very interesting exercise although it's the four or five years to make a determination. We should do it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Central Scouting maybe but I seriously doubt that a group of fans would out draft our staff. It'd be a very interesting exercise although it's the four or five years to make a determination. We should do it.

There's a guy on HF Vancouver who's been doing it since 2014 or so I think, and so far his drafting looks WAY better than Vancouver's. I'll try to find a link.

edit: I'd actually love to see this project happen, but tbh I only know enough to confidently do first round picks usually. I don't know if our stars like @McMozesmadness and @Zaddy , among others, have the time and energy to do a full draft.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
but the point is to also find cheap players that can play in the NHL.
Hemsky has been done for several years. If Yak had anything he would have shown it this year, and Reinhart just isn't good enough to be an NHL player.
if you perhaps picked players that have any chance of helping the oilers, you might have more support for your suggestions.
your ideas so far will make the team worse.
The point is to actually find production from the pieces you acquire in the off season. I don't disagree Hemsky may be done at this point. He's missed the majority of the past two seasons with two completely different significant injuries. It's the very reason why you could probably get him on a PTO and get him for under a million for a year. It's called a low-risk move. No cap, no commitment.

I'd finish my thought but this site is a f***ing nightmare on mobile right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad