Confirmed with Link: Griffin Reinhart Selected By the Las Vegas Golden Knights in NHL Expansion Draft

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Nothing-to-See-15a34a2fc727c8.jpg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The fact that we could spend all day talking about poor draft choices just speaks volumes.
It absolutely doesn't because every ****ing team can do this.

How about the worst miss? 1990 Draft, the Oilers miss on Scott Allison...however the Flames looking for Goalie take Trevor Kidd 11th overall, the Devils take Martin Brodeur 20th overall.

There are misses and then there are misses. Like again, every ****ing team can do this.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It absolutely doesn't because every ****ing team can do this.

How about the worst miss? 1990 Draft, the Oilers miss on Scott Allison...however the Flames looking for Goalie take Trevor Kidd 11th overall, the Devils take Martin Brodeur 20th overall.

There are misses and then there are misses. Like again, every ****ing team can do this.
Of course but when the best player you've drafted outside the first round since 2000 is Jeff Petry you probably have an issue.

Even outside the top 10 it's not all that impressive.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
:facepalm: Ok then Keith.
I'm sure I'm reading this wrong but do you not think there is a serious issue with the Oilers drafting and development? Yes every team has misses but every team also has better hits than this one.

Tampa turned a third round pick into Brayden Point and just check out their 2011 draft:

upload_2018-4-18_13-47-34.png

Meanwhile, in Edmonton...

upload_2018-4-18_13-48-16.png

If the Oilers are ever going to be successful they're going to need to unearth gems like Kucherov or Subban every so often. Just looking at those stat lines is embarrassing.

Reactions: Aerrol

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm sure I'm reading this wrong but do you not think there is a serious issue with the Oilers drafting and development? Yes every team has misses but every team also has better hits than this one.

Tampa turned a third round pick into Brayden Point and just check out their 2011 draft:

View attachment 114919

View attachment 114921

If the Oilers are ever going to be successful they're going to need to unearth gems like Kucherov or Subban every so often. Just looking at those stat lines is embarrassing.

The Oilers drafting and player development is horrid. If they ever want to be a contender, they've got to improve dramatically in those areas.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

View attachment 114919

View attachment 114921

might I suggest you look at nearly every topic where we trade a 3rd or 4th round pick, I get annoyed and posters tell me only 8% of 3rd or 4th rounders make the nhl and I have post stats again that it is 20 to 30% that make the nhl--most at 3rd liners.

Many on this board down play any pick after the 2nd round

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
might I suggest you look at nearly every topic where we trade a 3rd or 4th round pick, I get annoyed and posters tell me only 8% of 3rd or 4th rounders make the nhl and I have post stats again that it is 20 to 30% that make the nhl--most at 3rd liners.

Many on this board down play any pick after the 2nd round

Looking at our drafting record, we probably are better off trading those picks away.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
The problem with the Oilers is that we spend our picks terribly regardless if they're traded or not.

Typically, we can at least get an NHL player if we trade our picks away, which is more than can be said for our 2nd rounder + picks. Although we had to give a 2nd and a 3rd for Chia and Todd, LOL.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Typically, we can at least get an NHL player if we trade our picks away, which is more than can be said for our 2nd rounder + picks. Although we had to give a 2nd and a 3rd for Chia and Todd, LOL.
Well, an NHL player by Oilers standards... But you are right. It's something that needs to change for sure.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi

View attachment 114919

View attachment 114921

Reider was a great pick in the 4th round. Oh.. wait...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Good thing he was selected and not Khaira.

I'd like to bring Griffin back but right now we need OFD. Maybe if we find a way to trade out Russell, trying Reinhart again would make sense.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Does he claim Schenn is actually a bust? Wow, I mean I've never been a fan of the hype, but he's a solid player.

He basically says Pierre was wrong about calling Schenn an impact player, and that he wasn’t able to contribute in LA, and had to be dealt for a fresh start. Basically nothing close to the truth

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

View attachment 114919

View attachment 114921

Bang on. Sometimes I get the feeling the Oiler scouting dept is on these forums.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Good thing he was selected and not Khaira.

I'd like to bring Griffin back but right now we need OFD. Maybe if we find a way to trade out Russell, trying Reinhart again would make sense.
I would as well. The Knights have an influx of LHD coming in next season so I wouldn't be opposed to an AHL swap in the off-season--someone like Malone, Callahan or Gambardella. I know there's a stigma attached to the guy, but he's been a good soldier in the AHL the past two seasons and he was making good strides in Bakersfield. I would definitely prefer his upside to Simpson or Lowe's kids.

Reactions: MordredGK

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would as well. The Knights have an influx of LHD coming in next season so I wouldn't be opposed to an AHL swap in the off-season--someone like Malone, Callahan or Gambardella. I know there's a stigma attached to the guy, but he's been a good soldier in the AHL the past two seasons and he was making good strides in Bakersfield. I would definitely prefer his upside to Simpson or Lowe's kids.
I would prefer him over those D aswell, he was a +20 on the wolves this year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

So far since the season ended I believe you've argued to bring back Hemsky, Yakupov and now Reinhart? What's with the hard on for former Oilers who aren't NHLers anymore (or in Reinhart's case has never been an NHLer).

Why don't we go pull Brad Winchester out of retirement while we're at it?

Hell, if we're arguing to bring back former Oilers who are good in the AHL but can't hack it in the NHL, we should probably pick up Martin Marincin instead of Reinhart. He was a better player before the trade, the day of the trade and in the years since the trade. Both in the NHL and now in the AHL.

There's no "stigma" attached to Reinhart. He just sucks.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So far since the season ended I believe you've argued to bring back Hemsky, Yakupov and now Reinhart? What's with the hard on for former Oilers who aren't NHLers anymore (or in Reinhart's case has never been an NHLer).

Why don't we go pull Brad Winchester out of retirement while we're at it?

Hell, if we're arguing to bring back former Oilers who are good in the AHL but can't hack it in the NHL, we should probably pick up Martin Marincin instead of Reinhart. He was a better player before the trade, the day of the trade and in the years since the trade. Both in the NHL and now in the AHL.

There's no "stigma" attached to Reinhart. He just sucks.
Well, there's the idea that all of them are cheap. All of them are likely no worse options than the seven AHL signings we saw on July 1st last season. And with two of the three, they're still in their mid 20s, so they likely haven't peaked physically either. The idea behind Hemsky or Yakupov is to find secondary scoring. How are they any different than Ty Rattie or Pontus Aberg? They 'suck' too.

Like I said, Reinhart has been a good AHLer who trended well in his final season here. I'd prefer him over bringing back either of Lowe or Simpson. Worst case next fall is someone claims him off of waivers and we have a free roster spot.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->