Confirmed with Link: Griffin Reinhart Selected By the Las Vegas Golden Knights in NHL Expansion Draft

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Cant believe some will miss him. He hardly played for us and I feel like hell be a bottom pair D at best. Not a big loss.

yeah. I wouldn't care at all, except what the oilers paid to get the kid still bugs me a little bit.
Glad the oilers didn't throw good money after bad and give up anything to save him.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
It's not back breaking or anything but I thought he was starting to find his game a little bit.

Would have liked to keep him but I guess that's the nature of the expansion draft.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers had to lose somebody. Losing Reinhart is getting off pretty easy. Even considering what the Oilers traded to get him. The Oilers didn't have to send Vegas anything else to protect other players from the draft.

I suspect the Oilers will look back fondly to only losing Reinhart when the expansion draft for the Seattle 420s takes place. :)

If Letestu can step up to the third line the Oilers could be set at C this season.

McD/Drai or Nuge/Letestu/Khaira

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
this might be a saving grace for Chiarelli.. Now he can say that he didnt waste a 1st and a 2nd on a dud. The guy was so valuable that LV just couldnt pass up on him. ;)

Just imagine if the draft was next year... Nurse, McDavid, Caggiula and Benning would also be needing protection.

Count your lucky stars and move on. Reinhart is a dime a dozen player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The key is getting past what we paid for Reinhart. Yes, it was a lot. It's unfortunate. But we can't get it back, so now all we had was a player that struggled and had skating issues. If you can get over what was paid for him, and bank it in the past of a mistake, it's not so bad losing him.

Kind of like Yak. His pedigree says we should have gotten a ton for him. But his performance said a 3rd rounder was fair value.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
yeah. I wouldn't care at all, except what the oilers paid to get the kid still bugs me a little bit.
Glad the oilers didn't throw good money after bad and give up anything to save him.

Absolutely.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Horrid moves like this one do hurt bad though. We have a lot of talk about the need for a Dman, and trading Eberle or RNH. Losing those two valuable resources from that deep draft means we have no potential ready replacements or top notch assets to get a missing piece.

The utter lack of accountability in this org is also still a problem. (As in if Chia bowed to hard and fast recommendations from the existing regime those guys should be down the road.)

Dreadful pity.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Everyone crying that we should have kept Davidson so they wouldn't take Reinhardt hope noticed that he wasn't even picked.

That couldn't be more irrelevant... the context of who is picked depends on who else is available from the team. Even if Reinhart was picked from Edmonton still, we would have Davidson who is a great depth defenceman, or vice versa. The #1 principal at play in this draft is Vegas only takes one guy, so when you have 2 half decent defensemen, there's no point in dumping just one of them for a ****** rental.

We had good defensive depth on this team for a moment, but losing both Davidson and Reinhart within 3 months now creates somewhat of a gap in depth.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Horrid moves like this one do hurt bad though. We have a lot of talk about the need for a Dman, and trading Eberle or RNH. Losing those two valuable resources from that deep draft means we have no potential ready replacements or top notch assets to get a missing piece.

The utter lack of accountability in this org is also still a problem. (As in if Chia bowed to hard and fast recommendations from the existing regime those guys should be down the road.)

Dreadful pity.

Is Anaheim dreadful management for losing Theodore? The parameters of this draft were unknown at the time of the trade. Reinhart could still end up worth the value of those picks.

And you speak of accountability, and yes final results are what really matters. However, it goes both ways. Chia gets bad marks for that trade and good marks for other moves. If all he did was the Reinhart trade then of course everyone would be against him

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I still think we should've thrown a third round pick or something so they'd take poo

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still think we should've thrown a third round pick or something so they'd take poo

Imo, Vegas really wanted Reinhart, and wasn't looking for cap dumps for anything less than a 1st. Reinhart gets way too bashed here anyway. Vegas coveted Theodore because he is a young Dmen with many years of control to try and develop. That's Reinhart too. Maybe if Theodore were pushed into an NHL role as quickly as Reinhart was, he'd have a bad rep too.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Maybe if Theodore were pushed into an NHL role as quickly as Reinhart was, he'd have a bad rep too.

Theodore has more games played and is younger. Reinhart played just 8 games as a 20 year old, hardly "pushed". Reinhart is just a bust.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
8 Players Pierre McGuire Was Wrong About And 7 He Actually Got Right

"A huge defenseman (6'4", 200) whose father, Paul, played in the NHL for 11 years, Reinhart can shoot the puck and handle big minutes. He could eventually become a Norris Trophy nominee, much like Nashville's Shea Weber."

A friend of mine who played in the minors and had a couple of ex-teammates on Bridgeport said they couldn't believe how highly touted Reinhart was. At that time (Isles farm team), he was barely able to make Bridgeport. Yet we traded for him.

Anyone hear anything about the year he had with Chicago Wolves?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
"...Reinhart can shoot the puck and handle big minutes. He could eventually become a Norris Trophy nominee, much like Nashville's Shea Weber."
LOL!

If I wasn't lazy I'd put that into huge letters and some pretty colours 'cause it's so funny.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

"A huge defenseman (6'4", 200) whose father, Paul, played in the NHL for 11 years, Reinhart can shoot the puck and handle big minutes. He could eventually become a Norris Trophy nominee, much like Nashville's Shea Weber."

A friend of mine who played in the minors and had a couple of ex-teammates on Bridgeport said they couldn't believe how highly touted Reinhart was. At that time (Isles farm team), he was barely able to make Bridgeport. Yet we traded for him.

Stats wise: 60 GP 2-10-12 +20 30 PIM

TheAHL.com

+/- was second highest on the team. No TOI stats. Maybe someone who watches the Wolves can tell us how he looked on the ice.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Woof to that article, he gets credit for being right about Matthews and Eichel? Well that's just stupid.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

One I will never forget is that he said that the Oilers made a mistake by drafting Dubnyk instead of Schwarz in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad