Gretzky sums it up perfectly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiavsfan

"Besides, the idea the two sides could just split the difference--between a salary cap of $49 million and $42 [million]--it never even got to that because there are so many other issues that need to be solved before you settle on a number. And this idea that a few teams like Detroit and Toronto want to play? We all want to play. We lost $21 million in Phoenix last year, and we want to play."

Gretzky hears threats about alternate destinations, laughs, then purses his lips.

"Guys are talking now about starting up the World Hockey Association again?" he says. "That's the same WHA with the $10 million salary cap? And some players took jobs in the Eastern League, with a cap of $500 a week? But they don't want one in the NHL? Boggles my mind. If you believe in no cap, then how can you play in a league that has one? Besides, the union already has said it will accept a cap."

Chicago Tribune (Subscription)

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
This coming from the guy who in his day, his salary was out of control to compared to everyone elses. It doesn't matter what kind of player he was, the fact is that in his rookie season he made $1.7M (1989) and after that never made less than $3M. He accumulated over $43M during his career and now he's telling the players to take a salary cap. Sorry but that just the pot calling the kettle black.

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
Icey said:
This coming from the guy who in his day, his salary was out of control to compared to everyone elses. It doesn't matter what kind of player he was, the fact is that in his rookie season he made $1.7M (1989) and after that never made less than $3M. He accumulated over $43M during his career and now he's telling the players to take a salary cap. Sorry but that just the pot calling the kettle black.
Hasn't Bobbly Holik made that amount in just the last few season. :dunno:

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Icey said:

The fact is he along with a select few are the only people that deserve that money. Gretzky and others like Mario have done so much for the game whether attracting more viewrs or helping discouraged franchises have done everything to the game and deserve their paychecks. The problem comes when you have guys like Holik and Jagr getting 9-12 million a year for mediocre performances.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Icey said:

Gretzky was the salary cap in his day... nobody would dare request to make more than him... and your facts are not right

Jan. 27, 1979 - 18-year-old Gretzky signs a 21-year, $5 million personal services contract with the Oilers, the longest contract in sports history at that time.
Jan. 20, 1982 - Gretzky signs 21-year deal that would pay him $20 million in 15 years. Deal includes an Edmonton shopping mall

http://slam.canoe.ca/Gretzky/gretzlist.html
http://slam.canoe.ca/GretzkyHall/nov22_zeisberger.html

why is it the pot calling the kettle black?

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Icey said:

That thread wins DUMBEST POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

He only made $43m over 20 years, while Holik, Sundin, Jagr, Sakic and many others will make that in less than 10 years while not doing even 1/10 for the league what Wayne did.

Do you know how much MJ made in Chicago? Somewhere around $35-$40m/year for a few years.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think if the elite of the league were only making 3-4 million $ there would be absolutely no problem....so what's wrong with Wayne making 3$ a year when he is basically the best player of the sport and the best advertiser of the sport...ever??

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
trahans99 said:
That thread wins DUMBEST POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I could not agree more. Even if the numbers had been correct, the logic of the post is completely lacking.
icey said:
the fact is that in his rookie season he made $1.7M (1989)
Icey has not even been following hockey too closely. He cited Gretzky's rookie season as being 1989-90, meanwhile it was 1979-1980... but he was only off by 10 years. 10 years during which Gretzky score 1837 points. Having averaged 183.7 points per season over 10 seasons Gretzky only received a contract of $1.7M for his 11th season, not his rookie season.
icey said:
Sorry but that just the pot calling the kettle black.
Neither the NHL or Gretzky have stated that there will be a player specific salary cap. Even if Gretzky were playing under the next CBA the NHL is trying to implement, he would still be making the same money.

One other point the pro-NHLPA has not made in any of the threads I have read is the fact that truly great players such as Gretzky, Lemieux, etc. can make even more than their anual salaries in endorsements. The pro-NHLPA posters have been arguing about calling everything even remotely related to being earned by an NHL club as hockey revenue, then fair is fair, the NHL players should give up all endorsement contracts and have that thrown into the same pool.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Luc Labelle said:
The pro-NHLPA posters have been arguing about calling everything even remotely related to being earned by an NHL club as hockey revenue, then fair is fair, the NHL players should give up all endorsement contracts and have that thrown into the same pool.

I know i have talked with others about this a long time ago... you are right... the players should have to revenue share some of their endoresement deals with their teams as this is hockey related revenue...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Come on, when has Gretzky ever been all about the money? That is just a stupid thing to say. His first contract in LA had a portion of his salary taken directly off his cheque and distributed to the rest of the team as a bonus.

Yeah what a dick...

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
s7ark said:
Come on, when has Gretzky ever been all about the money? That is just a stupid thing to say. His first contract in LA had a portion of his salary taken directly off his cheque and distributed to the rest of the team as a bonus.

Yeah what a dick...

Gretzky has always been all about the paycheck just like Mario. I have more respect for someone like Paul Kariya who took a huge paycut to win.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
ScottyBowman said:
Gretzky has always been all about the paycheck just like Mario. I have more respect for someone like Paul Kariya who took a huge paycut to win.

HAHAHAHAHAHA that was funny. Kariya took a huge paycut to go under the league average so he could be an UFA earlier than normal.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
You beat me to it.. That was post was good for a laugh.

I agree with that about Kariya. However, you do have to admit it was a gutsy move, that hardly anyone will ever do, in any sport.

It probably will have cost him, so I definitely do respect him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
I agree with that about Kariya. However, you do have to admit it was a gutsy move, that hardly anyone will ever do, in any sport.

It probably will have cost him, so I definitely do respect him.

So...because he gambled on trying to get a huge post season payday and appears to have lost, you respect him? :huh:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Icey said:

Are you saying that you don't see the illogic in NHL players willingness to play under a salary cap in any league except the NHL? I surely don't. IF they are against a salary cap they should be against a salary cap. But as it stands they are willing to play under a salary cap at 10cents on the dollar. That makes all the sense in the world to me....LOL

oh...are you somehow saying that Gretzky was overpaid????? I can think of a lot of wildly overpaid NHL players, Yaskin, Turgeon, Holik, Martin Lapointe, etc, but I never thought of Gretzky as overpaid or out of control.

YellHockey*

s7ark said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA that was funny. Kariya took a huge paycut to go under the league average so he could be an UFA earlier than normal.

Kariya was already an UFA when he took the paycut.

Gretzky's been bought by the NHL owners. He's selling the lockout just like he sells the crappy Ford cars that he pimps in commercials.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
BlackRedGold said:
Kariya was already an UFA when he took the paycut.

Gretzky's been bought by the NHL owners. He's selling the lockout just like he sells the crappy Ford cars that he pimps in commercials.

Yes, he was a UFA then, but as soon as he signed his contract he would have become an RFA again - he was younger than UFA age and was only a UFA because he wasn't qualified.

He saw that he was perceived as damaged goods and couldn't get the big UFA offer he was looking for, so he deferred his UFA payday by a year, took the lower offer to become a Group V UFA after that year, picked a situation he thought would pad his stats and increase his profile, and hoped to have a good year to build up his next UFA offer. Don't think that taking the paycut was anything but a business decision.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
dakota said:
Gretzky was the salary cap in his day... nobody would dare request to make more than him... and your facts are not right

Jan. 27, 1979 - 18-year-old Gretzky signs a 21-year, $5 million personal services contract with the Oilers, the longest contract in sports history at that time.
Jan. 20, 1982 - Gretzky signs 21-year deal that would pay him $20 million in 15 years. Deal includes an Edmonton shopping mall

You forgot his 25 million 3 year contract he signed in 1993 with the Kings

http://www.dailycelebrations.com/092100.htm

You also forgot his contract with St Louis and NY

Forbes estimates that Gretzky made 93.8 million dollars from a variety of sources related to his career.

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00229711.html

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
why lose sleep over this .

mario and wayne are owners now , so its pretty obvious they will look to stay on the fence as much as possible so as not to bite the hand that once fed them .

however they will undoubtedly look out for their best interests .

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
vanlady said:
You forgot his 25 million 3 year contract he signed in 1993 with the Kings

http://www.dailycelebrations.com/092100.htm

You also forgot his contract with St Louis and NY

Forbes estimates that Gretzky made 93.8 million dollars from a variety of sources related to his career.

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00229711.html

no i did not forget... i was just commenting on his error about his rookie contract and year of course Gretzky made good money he should have as well... to say the players are not making their fair share now is arguable as well...

CMUMike

Feb 13, 2005
Boys, it's all about drawing money. Guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, LaFontaine, Yzerman drew fans. They made hockey fans out of sports fans. Your salary should be correlated to the amount of revenue you produce. With that group, they deserved what they got. What really bugs me is when you see the Bill Guerins and Trevor Lindens of the world, who never drew $1 or added anything to the fanbase, hitting the jackpot.

BTW, all you need to know about the PA is that most of their supporters on this board have resorted to criticizing Lemieux and Gretzky.

Brindfan

Sep 20, 2004
Front Range of CO
CMUMike said:
Boys, it's all about drawing money. Guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, LaFontaine, Yzerman drew fans. They made hockey fans out of sports fans. Your salary should be correlated to the amount of revenue you produce. With that group, they deserved what they got. What really bugs me is when you see the Bill Guerins and Trevor Lindens of the world, who never drew $1 or added anything to the fanbase, hitting the jackpot.

BTW, all you need to know about the PA is that most of their supporters on this board have resorted to criticizing Lemieux and Gretzky.

:bow:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
dakota said:

Sorry, obviously the place I got my information from didn't include his entire career.

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/searc...ies-test.txt&key2=1363&action=searchdbdisplay

GRETZKY, WAYNE

Season Salary ($US) $ Increase % Inc.

1989-90 1,720,000 $
1990-91 3,000,000 $ 1,280,000 74%

1991-92 3,000,000 $ - $
1992-93 3,000,000 $ - $
1993-94 3,000,000 $ - $
1994-95 6,540,028 $ 3,540,028 $ 118% Players' Strike: 48 out of 84 games played. Most players only received +/- 58% of the amount listed.
1995-96 6,545,400 $ 5,372 $ 0%
1996-97 3,963,000 $ (2,582,400) $ -39%
1997-98 6,500,000 $ 2,537,000 $ 64%
1998-99 6,000,000 $ (500,000) $ -8%
1999-00 - $ - $

2000-01 - $ - $

2001-02 - $ - $
2002-03 - $ - $
2003-04 - $ - $
Total
1989-2004 43,268,428 $ Total fortune accumulated from 1989 to 2004

So you add another $20M to the fortune. And my point was that he was one of the hightest paid players in the league at the time and never seemed to mind taking the huge pay increases. Wayne has always and always will be about making money, but now that he's an owner all the sudden the players are paid too much. Yet in his last season '99 he was paid $6M when the high average team payroll was in the $40M range.

Yet you guys complain that a player like Chris Pronger who makes $10M isn't worth half of that or a player like Eddie Belfour is overpaid , even though he backstopped the Stars to a Stanley Cup in '99 and has stood on his head in Toronto, has won 2 Vezina's, 4 Jennings, 1 calder and 1 Crozier award, or a player like Sakic, Iginla or Thorton are all just greety little bastards and don't play for the love of the game anymore. I don't recall Wayne playing for the love of the game either, he played for his $6M paycheck.

Paying that kind of money was fine for Wayne when he was the reapping the benefits, but now that he is the one signing the checks he looks at it a little different and thats why its the pot calling the kettle black.

Same with Mario. Even though his Penguins have no money and have had to trade players away season after season as a salary dump, he continues to draw his $5.25M salary and then plays only a handful of games. If Mario was so concerned about a salary cap why is drawing that kind of salary and not a $1M salary?

Don't give me that crap about how Mario and Wayne are great players. There are a lot of great players out there and if its wrong for them to make that kind of money because according to all of you, they are greedy, then why is it okay for Mario and Wayne to do it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->