Gretzky/Phoenix/Winnpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Ever since he bought the team I always thought that secretly he would want to move them back to winnipeg. I've been thinking about it more and more lately and now that there are rumous that Hartford might be getting a new arena they might get an Nhl team back...it would be nice to see these teams back.....my question to coyotes fans are how good is the market for the team there and is it in trouble of losing its team? Also which city is more likely to get an NHL franchise first Winnipeg or Hartford?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Thank God we finally have a thread dedicated to the return of Hartford and Winnipeg.

GWhale*

I'm from Hartford, but I think Winnipeg deserves a team first. Nobody here knows, despite what they will say, what could happen. The best thing for the league would be to have both clubs back as soon as possible.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
Ever since he bought the team I always thought that secretly he would want to move them back to winnipeg. I've been thinking about it more and more lately and now that there are rumous that Hartford might be getting a new arena they might get an Nhl team back...it would be nice to see these teams back.....my question to coyotes fans are how good is the market for the team there and is it in trouble of losing its team? Also which city is more likely to get an NHL franchise first Winnipeg or Hartford?

Gretzky purchased an interest in the Coyotes in an effort to KEEP THE TEAM IN PHOENIX. At the time there was talk that a new owner might purchase the Coyotes and relocate them to another city (and no, not Winnipeg or Hartford). Since Gretzky & Co. purchased the Coyotes they built the Glendale Arena, and that’s an extremely expensive diversion technique to fool the Phoenix fans while secretly moving the team to another city.

Sorry, no dice.

The Chicago Blackhawks are quickly loosing support, maybe they’ll come available.
:sarcasm: :deadhorse

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
MuzikMachine said:
Gretzky purchased an interest in the Coyotes in an effort to KEEP THE TEAM IN PHOENIX. At the time there was talk that a new owner might purchase the Coyotes and relocate them to another city (and no, not Winnipeg or Hartford). Since Gretzky & Co. purchased the Coyotes they built the Glendale Arena, and that’s an extremely expensive diversion technique to fool the Phoenix fans while secretly moving the team to another city.

Sorry, no dice.

The Chicago Blackhawks are quickly loosing support, maybe they’ll come available.
:sarcasm: :deadhorse

I agree, no chance. You don't build a brand new building and cut and run after not even a full season there.

The thread title reminded me of my joke when Gretzky first bought the team: "He owned them when they in Winnipeg, too"

Nyuk, nyuk.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:

Gretzky didn't buy anything. He was given a percentage of the team and is being paid a salary to run the Hockey Operations. The Coyotes and the new Glendale Arena (which is one of the nicest hockey facilities in the NHL) are a small part of a real estate deal that includes the New Cardinals stadium, shopping mall, hotels, etc. The chances of them moving are slim.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
rwilson99 said:
I'm sure 99's wife and kids would just LOVE Manitoba.... :biglaugh:

Wasn't there a conspiracy theory that the reason 99 was traded out of Edmonton was the new Mrs. 99 wanted to live in LA? :dunno:

It maybe didn't hold any water, but i dunno, which is better, southern CA or Manitoba?? :banghead: :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad