Gretzky 'is crazy'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
John Flyers Fan said:
He;s a hell of a lot more than an "energy" player. He's the best player on one of the best teams in hockey.

Who go the better of the Primeau-Brind'amour deal ???

99-00 - Flyers
00-01 - Flyers
01-02 - Canes
02-03 - Flyers
03-04 - Flyers
yeah, if you take Brind'Amour away from the canes and Primeau away from the Flyers, the two teams are equal. Wow. Ridiculous.

Brind'Amour has a lot less to work with.

Brind'Amour put up some good numbers with the Flyers. He has always been a top-level hard-nosed player with better than average skill.

Primeau has only been praised as such...never showing it on the ice with any consistency. So yeah exalt him now while you can because he will disappear next season at some point...or the next one.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AGraveOne said:
yeah, if you take Brind'Amour away from the canes and Primeau away from the Flyers, the two teams are equal. Wow. Ridiculous.

Brind'Amour has a lot less to work with.

Brind'Amour put up some good numbers with the Flyers. He has always been a top-level hard-nosed player with better than average skill.

Primeau has only been praised as such...never showing it on the ice with any consistency. So yeah exalt him now while you can because he will disappear next season at some point...or the next one.

Yes, Brind'amour was a very very good Flyer, one my my favorites, but he's not that player anymore.

He's gone from being a consistant 75 points scorer, to a 50 point scorer.

Don't try and say it's because he doesn't have the teammates, because while playing in Philly, Brindy never had great linemates to play with either. We were a one line team --- Brind'amour essentially WAS our 2nd line.

It's been 4 & 1/2 years since the trade and Primeau has been the better player in all but one season.

nordique

Hemsky83 said:
It's funny there wasn't this much talk about who made the team and who didn't when Bobby Clarke and Co. picked the team for the 1998 Olympics. Why does ever pick that Gretzky and Co. make get criticized.

Oh yeah? What about these names:

MARK MESSIER

and

ROB ZAMUNER

Ring any bells?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
AGraveOne said:
Primeau is playing a huge role ont he Flyers, so i can understand your commitment to him. But if you think he has great vision and great hands and decent skating, look no further than ...

Primeau goes in on Khabibulin, it's a 3 on none, he makes a move...um..er..stumbles and falls forwards into Khabibulin. The puck slides out to Kapanen(??maybe) who put it in. The play is negated because of goalie intereference and Primeau goes to the box.

That is the most clod-like play i have ever seen. NO ONE touched him....

IIRC Igilna fell over while try to take a penalty shot. No one touched him either. Doesn't mean he can't skate.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
boxall9 said:
I am looking forward to hearing who Roenick says should have been left off of Team USA for LeClair. Does he have the guts?
He won't say anything because John didn't deserve to be on the team. Did you happen to catch the flyers game tonight? Well Primeau's performance tonight was pretty similar to the performance he's given in every playoff game this year. He produced more tonight (on the scoreboard), but the level of play was not above the way he's been playing.

The fact of the matter is this. If team Canada is up a goal and Sweden sends out Sundin at center and Forsberg at wing, who do you want against Sundin? Can you honestly say that you believe Draper can handle the size and power of Sundin? How about if team U.S.A. sends out Keith Tzachuk, do you think Draper could handle him? How about if Jagr's on the ice. Primeau deserves to be there because of his play and Primeau should be there because of matchups.

Whitenoise

Sep 27, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, it's okay for JR to stand up for a teammate but to name other players that he thinks Primeau should be ahead of is crap, especially when he leaves his teammate Gagne off that list. I know you Flyers fans can justify Gagne's inclusion, but you can justify guys like Richards and Smyth just as well and it sucks that they're called out in public. He's trying to be a straight shooter but good old JR really comes off as a hypocrite on this one and should shut his mouth in the future.

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
I'm kind of surprised at all of the people here that are basing selections to this roster on points.. Obviously points aren't the factor you base a selection on. Let's just look at Kevin Stevens, he was a 50 goal scorer, so wow I guess he's a future hall of famer.. Wrong... he scored his 50 goals playing with Mario Lemieux.. This team was selected to be the best all-around team Canada can offer and comparing players like Gagne to Draper and Maltby is ridiculous. The role of Draper and Maltby is to kill penalties and shut down the opposing teams top line. Draper and Maltby are the best duo in NHL on the PK, so it's only obvious they would be choosen. Add to the fact that the Doan-Draper-Maltby line practically won Canada the World Championship in 2002 and they are definate mainstays on this Team Canada squad. A player like Gagne has speed on the wing, but he doesn't seem to be producing the way he should and often seems lost on the ice. Although you would have an argument that Primeau would be a great addition to team Canada's checking line, with Gretz and co. looking to keep the chemistry of the Doan-Draper-Maltby line, there would be no room for Primeau on the roster.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
KariyaIsGod said:
People need to let this go. Kieth Primeau is not a superstar. Barry Melrose actually compared him to Jerome Iginla the other day. I nearly crapped my pants when I heard that.

Hell, Gary Thorne last night was wondering out loud if anyone had ever won the Conn Smythe and not advanced to the Finals and basically said Primeau could be that man. How freaking ridiculous is that? At the very least has he not heard of the job Jerome Iginla is doing in Calgary? Anyone in the NHL could have scored the tying goal in last night's game, which also featured 57 minutes of boring hockey and crappy goaltending.

This just goes to show you the ESPN-led hype surrounding the Flyers and how desperately ESPN wants a big market team in the finals. The folks at ESPN still think big market = big ratings.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Zhackpot said:
Hell, Gary Thorne last night was wondering out loud if anyone had ever won the Conn Smythe and not advanced to the Finals and basically said Primeau could be that man. How freaking ridiculous is that? At the very least has he not heard of the job Jerome Iginla is doing in Calgary? Anyone in the NHL could have scored the tying goal in last night's game, which also featured 57 minutes of boring hockey and crappy goaltending.

This just goes to show you the ESPN-led hype surrounding the Flyers and how desperately ESPN wants a big market team in the finals. The folks at ESPN still think big market = big ratings.
Surely it wouldn't have had anything to do with the fact Clement, Clement Head of Cement happened to be Thorne's broadcast partner would it?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zhackpot said:
Anyone in the NHL could have scored the tying goal in last night's game, which also featured 57 minutes of boring hockey and crappy goaltending.

#1. If you thought that was a crappy hockey game, i suggest you fins another sport to watch.

#2. You do realize he kicked th epuck from one side of the net, then went around the net and stuffed it in.

#3. He also scored the 2nd goal of the night, assisted on the first, and then another assist on the game winner in OT.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
#1. If you thought that was a crappy hockey game, i suggest you fins another sport to watch.

#2. You do realize he kicked th epuck from one side of the net, then went around the net and stuffed it in.

#3. He also scored the 2nd goal of the night, assisted on the first, and then another assist on the game winner in OT.

I said it was 57 minutes of boring hockey, with 3 exciting minutes at the end of regulation and an exciting overtime. The goaltending was crappy during regulation.
Just watch the goals again to see I'm right.

Lecavalier's second goal a hard slapper that should be stopped at the NHL level.
Kapanen's goal was weak.
Fedotenko's first one wasn't great.

As for Primeau's game tying goal, he may have kicked it but I seriously doubt he actually meant to pass it to himself. He was hoping to put it out front and played percentages that it would come out the opposite side from where it came from.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zhackpot said:
I said it was 57 minutes of boring hockey, with 3 exciting minutes at the end of regulation and an exciting overtime. The goaltending was crappy during regulation.
Just watch the goals again to see I'm right.

Lecavalier's second goal a hard slapper that should be stopped at the NHL level.
Kapanen's goal was weak.
Fedotenko's first one wasn't great.

As for Primeau's game tying goal, he may have kicked it but I seriously doubt he actually meant to pass it to himself. He was hoping to put it out front and played percentages that it would come out the opposite side from where it came from.

I'll give you that the goaltending wasn't great last night, but the game was tremndously exciting the entire way. Far better than the sit-back, sit-back, counter attack style we see far too often in todays NHL.

Each goalie gave up a weak goal (LeCavalier's 2nd and Kapanen's).

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Bottom line is everyone has their opinions. It's not a secret that primeau is getting a lot attention because of his unbelievable play this whole season. Are you guys telling me there has been anyone more dominant than Preems and Iggy in these playoffs? The media needs to highlight individuals to talk about, usually it'll be the goaltenders but this year certain players have stepped up and dictated games and series'. It's a given that goaltenders have come along way, but enjoy the fact that the focal point right now is on the players.

Go Flyers! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->