Gretzky For Commissioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
I beleive the NHL should let go of Gary Bettman and bring in Wayne Gretzky. Wayne is the biggest hockey guy in the world. I beleive everyone will listen to what Wayne has to say, he is the most respected person in the hockey business. He has played the game, was the best player to play the game and is a very smart, knowledgeable person. If Wayne took over, this problem would be resolved in no time. What are your thoughts?

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
Gretzky is not tough enough. He will be eaten alive in active negotiations. When it comes down to it... do you really think the NHLPA gives a damn who the commish is? they will lay the boots down regardless because its business not personal.

The best ideal person would be Burke. He can stand toe to toe with any hardnose moron. He has the emotion and smarts and he is a deal maker and not a "me me" boot licker like Bettman.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I agree Bettman should get shot out of a canon, but I can't see Gretz replacing him.

His management leaves alot to be desired and he has the personality of a coma patient.

Maybe David Stern is sick of the NBA?

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
tuckerdomi said:
What are your thoughts?

...That you are about to become a punching bag for a bunch of raging fans going through a bad case of withdrawal.

He is a (co)owner, which may impede that scenario from developing.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I'd like Brian Burke as commish with Bobby Orr as his right hand man. The only problem with that is that Burke is for the instigator rule and he likes the current off side rules. At least he said so on cknw once..

Lanny MacDonald*

tuckerdomi said:
Cant see why its stupid, Gretzky is the most respected person in the business of hockey :teach:

Good, this isn't about hockey. This is about the business of hockey, a subject well beyond Gretzky at this point. Gretzky and his partners can barely run a team in Phoenix, I shudder to think what damage he could do while trying to negotiate a CBA or TV deal. Just because a guy is a well known hockey personality does not mean he is going to be a good fit for a business position. Unfortunately you need someone who understands business and law in the position. That rules out Gretzky.

:teach: :teach: :teach:

Wetcoaster

hackey said:
Gretzky is not tough enough. He will be eaten alive in active negotiations. When it comes down to it... do you really think the NHLPA gives a damn who the commish is? they will lay the boots down regardless because its business not personal.

The best ideal person would be Burke. He can stand toe to toe with any hardnose moron. He has the emotion and smarts and he is a deal maker and not a "me me" boot licker like Bettman.
Yes, he did such a great job as the chief negotiator in the 1994 deal for the NHL. :lol

Burke has to be one of the worst negotiators ever seen if you look at his history and how contract negotiations blew up whenever he became involved. Being stubborn and opinionated is not enough, you have to have some skills and he does not.

Wetcoaster

WrightOn said:
...That you are about to become a punching bag for a bunch of raging fans going through a bad case of withdrawal.

He is a (co)owner, which may impede that scenario from developing.
Like Bud Selig???

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
if you want an nhl where the pendulum swings towards the owners then there's one choice i would not disagree with.

and that's bob goodenow. we all know what he's done for the players. imagine if he was working for the owners.

just my two cents

Wetcoaster

hawker14 said:
if you want an nhl where the pendulum swings towards the owners then there's one choice i would not disagree with.

and that's bob goodenow. we all know what he's done for the players. imagine if he was working for the owners.

just my two cents
He started out his career as management labour law counsel with Unisys. He went toe to toe with the Teamsters and won.

I think the NHL hired the wrong guy.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Gretzky is too thin and not tough enough. He will never make it in the business world. Maybe he could run a Junior League but the NHL is just too tough. :)

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
He started out his career as management labour law counsel with Unisys. He went toe to toe with the Teamsters and won.

I think the NHL hired the wrong guy.

yep, and then a partner with brian burke in a player management agency.

who knows what the nhl would be like if brian burke took goodenows path into the nhlpa, and goodenow took burke's into the nhl.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
tuckerdomi said:
I beleive the NHL should let go of Gary Bettman and bring in Wayne Gretzky. Wayne is the biggest hockey guy in the world. I beleive everyone will listen to what Wayne has to say, he is the most respected person in the hockey business. He has played the game, was the best player to play the game and is a very smart, knowledgeable person. If Wayne took over, this problem would be resolved in no time. What are your thoughts?

Respected? Wayne is a whiney little twerp he whores around selling his name shilling for anyone who offers him a few bucks. How could anyone respect him.

Not only that, but his bloodsucker father is even more replusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad