Gretzky as a Ranger

Randall Graves*

I've seen his stint with the Rangers labled as a disappointment many times.

How would you classify it?

Looking at the numbers he still put up outstanding numbers, 249 points in 3 seasons. including years of 97 and 90..while in part of the dead puck era.

He could have probably played a few more years at a high level.

thoughts?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure what kind of expectations people had for a Gretzky in his late 30s, but I thought his time in New York was basically appropriate for his age an natural deterioration. He wasn't the kind of gambreaker he was in his younger days, but he still produced very well, aside from his last season where he was slightly under a point a game.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Thats kind of disappointing to hear people label it like that. Considering his age and the team he had to work with, he was outstanding. He also had an inspiring playoff in '97.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Alot of the disapointment stems from it was supposed to be a grand reunion of Gretz and Mess and Messier ended up in Vancouver after one season.

This was when the Rangers started throwing their cash around.

Ogopogo*

Gretzky was very good as a Ranger. Twice he led the NHL in assists and he had a 3rd place finish in the scoring race as a 37 year old.

Anyone that called it a disappointment was too used to Wayne putting up 200 point seasons. For a player in his late 30s he was very good.

Nifty=HHOF

Jul 8, 2004
Depressed Yankee Land
Jon Prescription said:
It was awesome to see him play live a bunch of times as well.

It was the only time I got to see him play live, he was one of a kind even at that age.

The only way I think people might consider it a disappointment (playing devils advocate) is because he didn't bring a cup to NY . Remember this is NY where fan expectations are not always in the same area code as realism.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Niftyone said:
It was the only time I got to see him play live, he was one of a kind even at that age.

The only way I think people might consider it a disappointment (playing devils advocate) is because he didn't bring a cup to NY . Remember this is NY where fan expectations are not always in the same area code as realism.

Agreed completely.

chooch*

I dont believe what they say on the Net that he retired once he realized his dream of playing alongside Jeff Kugel wouldnt some true. I wont dignify that. I do know that like the Blues and Kings, Rangers management cut him loose and told him to retire. I know he wouldnt invest in the OIlers or live in Canada or marry a Canadian and he is a US citizen and only played the first 8 years of a 19 year career in Canada but they shouldnt have treated an icon like that.

Despite his pathetic +/- with the Rangers and his selfish 5 minute standing at centre shifts, he was still a shining star with all those points. He deserved more Byng trophies than they gave him.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
Niftyone said:

Umm...what happened in 94?

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
That playoff game against the Panthers showed me all I wanted to see.
He was great with the Rangers, his numbers dont lie either

234Games = 249 points
THE GREAT ONE!!! :clap:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Greek_physique69 said:
He was great with the Rangers, his numbers dont lie either

234Games = 249 points
THE GREAT ONE!!! :clap:
and yet he was a shadow of his former self. he had been that great before that.

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
He did do pretty darn good for being in his late 30's. Two seasons over 90pts and in his final season 60-ish points in 70 games - nothing to sneeze at. It was tough watching him that last season though because you could really see that he had lost a step.

I was at the game where he scored his final career goal (vs. the Islanders). While at the time obviously nobody knew it would be his last, it was a significant goal because it gave him one more goal in his career (1072) than Gordie Howe if you included the WHA totals as well.

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Evil Genius said:
He did do pretty darn good for being in his late 30's. Two seasons over 90pts and in his final season 60-ish points in 70 games - nothing to sneeze at. It was tough watching him that last season though because you could really see that he had lost a step.

I was at the game where he scored his final career goal (vs. the Islanders). While at the time obviously nobody knew it would be his last, it was a significant goal because it gave him one more goal in his career (1072) than Gordie Howe if you included the WHA totals as well.

Are you counting playoffs, because Wayne didn't break 1000 in the regular season even with the 46 in his one WHA season. The only disappoitment I can see is his goal scoring decline. His assists were still there and probably could have been higher if they gave him a winger who could finish. His goals dropped greatly, though. I think he scored 9 in his last year, which was a vast shadow of his former self.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I still remember his hattrick vs. the Panthers in the post-season very well. Gretzky's slapper was so accurate.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
JWINK19 said:
Are you counting playoffs, because Wayne didn't break 1000 in the regular season even with the 46 in his one WHA season. The only disappoitment I can see is his goal scoring decline. His assists were still there and probably could have been higher if they gave him a winger who could finish. His goals dropped greatly, though. I think he scored 9 in his last year, which was a vast shadow of his former self.

All time goals in the WHA and NHL playoffs and regular season Gretzky scored one more than Howe. Only one more. And that record, I think, is the one Gretzky cherishes the most of all his personal records. It isn't as well known as his other records but it is the biggest career mark for Gretzky.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Masao Kishin said:
People also seem to forget that he led his team in scoring in his last season as well
And look what he did for his line-mates. Adam Graves scored 38 goals that year. That season was sandwiched between two 23-goal seasons. It was Graves' second 30-goal season since his 52-goal breakout in 1993-94. Gretzky's right wing for much of that year? Todd Harvey. As much as I like Harvey, he may be the worst right wing to ever take a regular shift with Gretzky. Gretzky, at age 38, with a very wonky back, years of wear and tear (never underestimate the toll of an extended playoff run, let alone six), and Todd Harvey on his right wing, still managed a pretty darn good season.

He was terrific his first two years with the Rangers. 97 points in 1996-97, and vintage playoff magic. Carried that Rangers team on his back for extended periods of time. Followed that up with a 90-point campaign in 1997-98, tore the league apart after the Olympic break (I believe he was second in league scoring after the Olys) and was named a second team all-star. Niklas Sundstrom looked like he would fulfill the projections of 40-goal seasons when he played on Gretzky's wing that year.

Don't know what people were expecting from him in his final seasons. It's hard to expect much from a player who turned 36 in his first season with the Rangers, who had been playing professional hockey since he was 17, and who had 193 playoff games before arriving in New York, including six trips to the Stanley Cup final.

Finest

Puck Fittsburg
May 15, 2006
Long Island
Someone posted the answer to that question earlier, when your in NY and you dont produce what the media and some fans expect. Your basically a ''failure''. Was Gretzky's stint with the rangers reminicant of his past teams/sucess? Nope, but was it good when you consider the age and the number he put up, undoubtedly. Sometimes I love being in NY and rooting for the Rangers, but the media has such power to turn things that sometimes its better to ignore it, otherwise
it can ruin your teams image.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
God Bless Canada said:
And look what he did for his line-mates. Adam Graves scored 38 goals that year. That season was sandwiched between two 23-goal seasons. It was Graves' second 30-goal season since his 52-goal breakout in 1993-94. Gretzky's right wing for much of that year? Todd Harvey. As much as I like Harvey, he may be the worst right wing to ever take a regular shift with Gretzky. Gretzky, at age 38, with a very wonky back, years of wear and tear (never underestimate the toll of an extended playoff run, let alone six), and Todd Harvey on his right wing, still managed a pretty darn good season.

He was terrific his first two years with the Rangers. 97 points in 1996-97, and vintage playoff magic. Carried that Rangers team on his back for extended periods of time. Followed that up with a 90-point campaign in 1997-98, tore the league apart after the Olympic break (I believe he was second in league scoring after the Olys) and was named a second team all-star. Niklas Sundstrom looked like he would fulfill the projections of 40-goal seasons when he played on Gretzky's wing that year.

Don't know what people were expecting from him in his final seasons. It's hard to expect much from a player who turned 36 in his first season with the Rangers, who had been playing professional hockey since he was 17, and who had 193 playoff games before arriving in New York, including six trips to the Stanley Cup final.
Yeh, maybe people were expecting too much of Gretzy at age 36,. Interesting though that Gordie Howe won the Art ross at 35 (won his first at 23) .At age 41, he had over 100 points.

chooch*

murray said:
Yeh, maybe people were expecting too much of Gretzy at age 36,. Interesting though that Gordie Howe won the Art ross at 35 (won his first at 23) .At age 41, he had over 100 points.

Yeah but Gordie had on-ice protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad