Gretzky and the 2002 Olympics

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I believe Gretzky would only play in the NHL if he was at a high enough level that met his standards. Basing my thoughts off that, if he was still playing in 2001-2002 he would have still been good enough to make the team.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Gretzky was still great in a full on dead puck era league in 1997-1998. Obviously he'd declined due to age and wear and tear but he was coming down from such a peak that his decline was others peaks. Something happened in 1998-1999 though. Maybe the neck/back injuries just because too much. Whatever he had left on his shot was just completely gone.

No chance he's playing in 2001-2002.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Gretzky was 38 when he retired in 1999. I'm not sure how a 41 year old Gretzky would have been able to do much in 2002, given his back problems.

Although one interesting note to make is that Igor Larionov was the same age as Wayne and was named to the Russian Olympic team in 2002, registering 3 assists in 6 games. That same year, he also did win a Cup with Detroit, registering 11 points in 18 playoff games.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
If I was Canada's GM, I would have found a way to fit him in if he was still playing in the NHL. I imagine his talent and skills could still contribute to something like a second power play unit. And though I'm not a big Gretzky fan, I think just having him there would itself make a difference. Canada can bring a stacked team to any tournament talent-wise, but Gretzky would have brought an extra dimension - for the loss of just one spot.

I would certainly have asked him to play for the team. However, if he flatly refused to play (which I don't think he would if called on by his country), then I would respect his decision. To me it's one of those things where you as a GM have to realize that Gretzky is bigger than hockey, bigger than one international tournament, but probably about as big as the Olympics itself, so he should be there. It would be his very last go around, and should be enjoyed by all.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Wasn't Gretzky more or less the best, or atleast among the best Canadian scorers from 96-99 in terms of ppg?
I have few doubts that Gretzky could have continued playing at 70points a few more years with some quality wingers around him.
Heck remeber, there were talks of Bure joining the Rangers. Had that happened I really think Gretzky could have played at a ppg Level into age 41.
So of course it's a long shot, but had a few things fallen in the right direction I do think that Gretzky could have Extended his career at a decent level for a few years. And had that happened I am fairly sure he would have been picked for the Team.
Remember, Mario really didn't look all that good in 05/06 and until he pulled himself out of it, and he still had a safe spot for Turin.

Last edited:

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
At the age of 37, (1998) Gretzky had played over 2000 games, he had alot of mileage on him, alot of hockey played getting top line minutes. And while I think he could've played a bit more, his body just didn't move the way it used to. From a child up to the last time he played, it was all hockey, pretty much all the time. And yeah, it would've been great to see him play in the 2002 Olympics, but it would be at the expense of players younger, faster, and healthier.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If I was Canada's GM, I would have found a way to fit him in if he was still playing in the NHL. I imagine his talent and skills could still contribute to something like a second power play unit. And though I'm not a big Gretzky fan, I think just having him there would itself make a difference. Canada can bring a stacked team to any tournament talent-wise, but Gretzky would have brought an extra dimension - for the loss of just one spot.

I would certainly have asked him to play for the team. However, if he flatly refused to play (which I don't think he would if called on by his country), then I would respect his decision. To me it's one of those things where you as a GM have to realize that Gretzky is bigger than hockey, bigger than one international tournament, but probably about as big as the Olympics itself, so he should be there. It would be his very last go around, and should be enjoyed by all.

I don't think Canada has won 8 of the 12 best on best tournaments by pity selections. In fact, they've won despite some bad selections, but they've also lost because of those same sort of decisions.

Look, no one likes to downgrade Gretzky, but let's be honest and remember him in 1999. I don't know about the rest of you, but it was clear to me he was a notch below even what he had been the last couple of years. He looked tired, he was slow, it looked like everything he did took a lot of effort. The guy had played in the NHL for 20 years at that time with a ton of long playoff runs and participating every time Canada asked him. He was worn out.

How do we think that this goes anywhere but down over a three year span? His back was killing him then. My heart of hearts knew it was time for him to go. Gretzky played at such a high level in his career that his 1999 season seemed to mediocre in comparison. He was 6th in assists in 1999 after leading the NHL the last two years.

I remember watching him play at the old timers game in November 2003 with the Oilers and Habs stars. He looked like an old-timer then. This doesn't take anything away from Gretzky and his career at all, because he has nothing to explain to anyone, and we all saw him at his best and that is all that matters, but there is a reason stars shouldn't be judged when they are old and at the end of their careers. Do people think a year and a half earlier he is good enough to be on the Gold medal winning Olympic team?

Reactions: brachyrynchos

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
But lets face it - 1998 Olympics is in the memory because of Gretzkys failure to catch gold medal. If he did win the gold, it would be just another tournament. This gives it this special ingredient, that makes this tournament memorable.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think that 1998 Canadian Olympic team losing to Finland in the Bronze Medal Game was another stain on people's memories. People were anticipating at least some type of medal victory for Canada.

Gretzky did assist on the 2nd (and last) goal scored by Canada in that game, a PP goal by Brendan Shanahan,

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that 1998 Canadian Olympic team losing to Finland in the Bronze Medal Game was another stain on people's memories. People were anticipating at least some type of medal victory for Canada.

Gretzky did assist on the 2nd (and last) goal scored by Canada in that game, a PP goal by Brendan Shanahan,

I really don't think that any sizable proportion of the Canadian public cared about losing the bronze game. Pretty much everyone just remembers losing to Czech Republic in a shootout, and the bronze would have salvaged nothing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->