gretz skating?

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
how good of a skater was he

the reason i bring this up is because every one talks about skating, skating

if the best player was an average skater then does it really matter so long as you can score and be an effective player

after all this is the nhl
not the olympic ice skating federation

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Gretzky may not have been the fastest skater in the world but he was incredibly agile. Nobody could stop, turn, and change directions as well as him so he was extremely good at eluding checks.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Well, I guess it makes you look like a real maverick to not give Gretzky his due. Or an idiot. Either way...

As for his skating, when you possess as many skills with the puck as Gretzky did you can afford to be average elsewhere.

Sinistrophobia

Dec 3, 2006

if the best player was an average skater then does it really matter so long as you can score and be an effective player

Of course you don't have to be a great skater to be a great player, but it certainly helps. Speed created pressure, and in the new NHL, speed is harder to control without taking penalties.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002

he was faster than Grier... :sarcasm:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
A good 'slippery' skater but certainly nothing special.

Gretz was always so ridiculously ahead of the play mentally, it made his skating seem better than it was. Pretty hard to catch a guy if he knows what your gonna do even before you do.

Amazing.:clap:

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden

If you have Gretzky's godlike vision and playmaking skills you don't need to be the fastest player in the league to be the greatest player. However, as previously stated, it's a huge asset as anyone who has played hockey knows.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Gretzky was not the fastest skater but had agility. Technically speaking, you won't find an uglier skater than Gretzky. Hunched over, strides that left much to be desired. But the man got things done.

As for being overrated, I guess when you have more assists than any other player in history has points you tend to get some amount of hype.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Speed helps make up for mistakes. If you don't make mistakes you can afford to not have great speed. As stated already though one of the quickest I have ever seen at changing directions.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Agree with what's been posted about his mobility being his strong suit, but Gretz could really move on the break; he'd put his head down in that crouched sort of skating position, and he'd be gone.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
He was a satisfactory skater and that's really all it takes. Gretzky is one of many examples proving that blinding speed is overrated. The most offensively gifted hockey player of all time in my opinion, Lemieux, also was not a fast skater by any means. On the flip side, Rico Fata could skate circles around Lemieux And Gretzky. I think the issue of the importance of speed should rest with that little dumpling of information.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
When I see an old clip of Gretzky as an Oiler, he seemed to be flying out there. Maybe he was an average skater by current day and 90's standards but in the 80's be was among the league's fastests. :dunno: He was allways rated fairly high on the speed attribute on EA's first NHL games.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
When I see an old clip of Gretzky as an Oiler, he seemed to be flying out there. Maybe he was an average skater by current day and 90's standards but in the 80's be was among the league's fastests. :dunno: He was allways rated fairly high on the speed attribute on EA's first NHL games.

EA, always the defining point of a players ability :sarcasm:

But it's true, for his era he was a fast player.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Gretzky was easily in the top 10-15 of fastest skaters in the 80's. IMO Bob Bourne was the fastest and Paul Coffey was the best all around skater. Gretzky was no slouch and if you compare him to his contempoaries of the era he had above average speed. His outstanding lateral movement and shiftiness combined with his vision and quickness far outweighed his speed so people forget how fast he was.

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
He was a satisfactory skater and that's really all it takes. Gretzky is one of many examples proving that blinding speed is overrated. The most offensively gifted hockey player of all time in my opinion, Lemieux, also was not a fast skater by any means. On the flip side, Rico Fata could skate circles around Lemieux And Gretzky. I think the issue of the importance of speed should rest with that little dumpling of information.

i disagree about lemieux. i think his speed was underrated. it didn't look like he was flying out there but he was moving with little effort.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Gretzky was easily in the top 10-15 of fastest skaters in the 80's. IMO Bob Bourne was the fastest and Paul Coffey was the best all around skater. Gretzky was no slouch and if you compare him to his contempoaries of the era he had above average speed. His outstanding lateral movement and shiftiness combined with his vision and quickness far outweighed his speed so people forget how fast he was.

Whoa! Gretzky wasn't even one of the 10 or 15 fastest skaters on his team, much less in his decade! In fact, one season, in training camp, he actually finished dead last among Edmonton skaters in the speed drill. He was a notoriously slow skater, and he was always the first to admit it.

What made him seem like a fast skater was that he was a much faster thinker than anyone else in the game, or for that matter in the history of the game. Zine summed it up perfectly -

Zine said:
A good 'slippery' skater but certainly nothing special.

Gretz was always so ridiculously ahead of the play mentally, it made his skating seem better than it was. Pretty hard to catch a guy if he knows what your gonna do even before you do.

What made Gretz seem so fast is that he always knew where the opening was going to be before the opening even knew it, and he steamed toward it as fast as he could go. He always knew exactly where the play was going, and he was at his top speed before the other, faster skaters even knew which way to turn. That's the main reason why it looked like he was smoking everybody. If he'd really been one of the 10 or 15 fastest skaters in the league, to go along with his other skills, the league would have had to institute a "Gretzky Rule", in which any time a team got up by more than 25 goals on another team, any player wearing the number "99" on his back would have to sit out the rest of the game.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
i disagree about lemieux. i think his speed was underrated. it didn't look like he was flying out there but he was moving with little effort.

I agree with that statement. Until his back problems Mario moved quickly out there. I think his size and powerful stride were deceptive. If you look at some of his earlier goals he is flying.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gretzky was not the fastest skater but had agility. Technically speaking, you won't find an uglier skater than Gretzky. Hunched over, strides that left much to be desired. But the man got things done.

As for being overrated, I guess when you have more assists than any other player in history has points you tend to get some amount of hype.

It's funny that you refer to Gretzky's skating as ugly. I find that Jaromir Jagr has the ugliest skating by far of any hockey player. Whereas Gretzky didn't look very strong or fluid on his feet, Jagr looks like someone learning to roller blade in a parking lot the way he lunges around and glides.

The point is it doesn't matter if your skating isn't technically sound if you're an all-time talent, but to mere mortals, it counts for some...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->