Ansar Khan: Green's injury was a herniated disc (Also some talk about Rasmussen).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Honestly a little surprised Khan disclosed that information. My guess is the organization is less than thrilled with him doing that.

I don't know, seems like cover for not moving him after Holland took some heat for it. I think the bigger bit is the flat assertion that Cholowski is going to GR. We're going to see this same blueline next year.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know, seems like cover for not moving him after Holland took some heat for it. I think the bigger bit is the flat assertion that Cholowski is going to GR. We're going to see this same blueline next year.

Rather that than rushing a prospect.

I also don't think the Wings will have the same defense.

There will be maybe one or two changes. Nothing great.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cholowski just turned 20. As long as he’s in Detroit by the end of next season, that’s OK.

But they need to start trying to get these defenseman in the league quicker than they have in the past. Most of the good defenseman in the league spent very little time in the AHL, it shouldn’t be viewed as a requirement. And the regulars in Detroit are trash, so it’s not like it should be hard to take a job or anything.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There’s a decent chance he returns, on a two- or three-year deal, at maybe a little less than the $6 million he’s currently earning. They've already told Green they're interested in re-signing him.

6 million for a guy who would be a bottom pairing guy on a good team? Holland needs to go.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Cholowski just turned 20. As long as he’s in Detroit by the end of next season, that’s OK.

But they need to start trying to get these defenseman in the league quicker than they have in the past. Most of the good defenseman in the league spent very little time in the AHL, it shouldn’t be viewed as a requirement. And the regulars in Detroit are trash, so it’s not like it should be hard to take a job or anything.

Agree on both points.

I really think Detroit needs to "up the scouts", meaning getting better scouts.

The amateur scouts can have their time, but the pro scouts, even the development coaches don't seem to be working.

So, I think they need to get a development process that works.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Honestly a little surprised Khan disclosed that information. My guess is the organization is less than thrilled with him doing that.

Ya this was surprising, its hurts Green's ability to get paid this offseason. Maybe its kind of a jerk way for them to negotiate his salary lower?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ya this was surprising, its hurts Green's ability to get paid this offseason. Maybe its kind of a jerk way for them to negotiate his salary lower?
Doesn't bother me one bit. The whole "upper/lower body injury" nonsense should have been done away with a long time ago, with specific disclosures mandated by the league.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Agreed. All the more reason to get better people using higher picks to draft better players.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The whole "upper/lower body injury" nonsense should have been done away with a long time ago, with specific disclosures mandated by the league.

I don't generally agree with you on much, but on this, I'm in 100% agreement.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Rather that than rushing a prospect.

I also don't think the Wings will have the same defense.

There will be maybe one or two changes. Nothing great.

Right now, I think we're looking at Green, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, and Daley being the guys Holland is looking at starting next season with. So, yeah, swapping XO out for Russo would qualify as a change but for all intents and purposes that's the same D that's been god awful this year. It changes if Green walks but then we're likely subbing in a Hamhuis or Bieksa, which...ugh.

I don't like that it seems already to be a foregone conclusion that Cholowski is going to GR. There should be space for him to come to camp and win a spot, especially considering his competition is Jensen/XO, but it doesn't sound like there is. And I'm not sure what the Wings have done to make me believe he'll get a call-up other than an end of the season mop up duty that Svech is (unexpectedly?) getting. Hronek is having a big season down there points wise and I haven't heard a whisper of him being called up outside of Khan saying that he'd personally do it.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
It seems like they should try to trade Nyquist and Glendening at the draft and roll with Z, Helm, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert, Frk, Turgeon, Ras and Svech as the 12 regular forwards.

Cholo and Hronek should be given opportunities to be top 6 D men next year. Pass on re-signing Green and maybe Kronwall will retire or someone like Daley wouldn't be hard to trade away.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What does Khan know. Depends on several factors, most importantly if Cholo has a great camp or not. I think it’s just a safer bet he goes to GR, unlike Ras where the plan seems to be NHL and his play in camp doesn’t need to be lights out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What does Khan know. Depends on several factors, most importantly if Cholo has a great camp or not. I think it’s just a safer bet he goes to GR, unlike Ras where the plan seems to be NHL and his play in camp doesn’t need to be lights out.

I would hazard to guess he knows more than we do, and he wouldn't be making those comments without something behind them.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would hazard to guess he knows more than we do, and he wouldn't be making those comments without something behind them.
Going into pre-season when Larkin made the team

Larkin should see plenty of action in the preseason, but his chances of making the roster aren't good

Just by simple math there is a good reason why Khan would bet on Cholo starting in GR. He is not going to be gifted a spot. It will likely require either injuries, trades or quite simply winning a job and pushing someone like XO to waivers. But when Kris Draper talks about Cholo as a potential NHLer next season I really doubt he knows less than Khan.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Going into pre-season when Larkin made the team

Just by simple math there is a good reason why Khan would bet on Cholo starting in GR. He is not going to be gifted a spot. It will likely require either injuries, trades or quite simply winning a job and pushing someone like XO to waivers. But when Kris Draper talks about Cholo as a potential NHLer next season I really doubt he knows less than Khan.

Are we talking about the Draper quote about hoping Cholowski "makes it hard on us?" That echoes what the club has said about guys like Smith, Kindl, etc. for years and it ignores what Draper said right before that, "It starts with development camp, prospect tournament, training camp." The Wings are not looking at camp as a place for Cholowski to win a roster spot. Outside of injuries, they are not looking at Cholowski as an option out of camp, and even with injuries I'm betting their depth chart will start with Russo and Hicketts, maybe then Hronek, and then Cholo regardless of what happens in camp.

Even the quote you pulled about Larkin had more wiggle room for making the team than what was said about Cholowski.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Are we talking about the Draper quote about hoping Cholowski "makes it hard on us?" That echoes what the club has said about guys like Smith, Kindl, etc. for years and it ignores what Draper said right before that, "It starts with development camp, prospect tournament, training camp." The Wings are not looking at camp as a place for Cholowski to win a roster spot. Outside of injuries, they are not looking at Cholowski as an option out of camp, and even with injuries I'm betting their depth chart will start with Russo and Hicketts, maybe then Hronek, and then Cholo regardless of what happens in camp.

Even the quote you pulled about Larkin had more wiggle room for making the team than what was said about Cholowski.
Larkin stayed up because Blashill wanted him up. If Blashill (or whoever is coach) wants Cholo up I'm sure Holland (or whoever is GM) will try to make it happen. Russo is waiver fodder, if a kid like Cholo has a legit great camp and looks ready no way does Russo make the team just because of the depth chart.

Believe what you want, but just because they're not opening up a free spot for Cholo it doesn't mean his fate is set in stone. I mean if we win the lottery and get Dahlin, you think Russo makes the team instead of him? Does anyone know if Kronwall is playing next year? Does anyone know who is GM, who is coach? If Green is re-signed? If there's a trade (Daley, Dekeyser, Ericsson as possible candidates)?

Khan is speculating, like the rest of us.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That's not good to hear. Was that a one time thing? Or is this happening on a regular basis?

I'm not sure.
But there've been 6 games in March and he's played 3.
March 2 played
March 3 sat
March 10 played
March 11 sat
March 14 sat
March 16 played

Must be doing that winning culture thing in grand rapids.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm not sure.
But there've been 6 games in March and he's played 3.
March 2 played
March 3 sat
March 10 played
March 11 sat
March 14 sat
March 16 played

Interesting, that's not a good thing. Couldnt find anything about an injury/illness etc.
Thanks for breaking it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->