Greatest Hab Ever?

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
I would like to know who the greatest Hab of them all is...... I pesonally take Beliveau over the Rocket..... but not by much .... or would it be someone else say Lafleur or Harvey....:dunno:

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Richard easily for me, and I've never seen him play. His impact is undeniable and everything surrounding him just makes him seem larger than life.

You can argue that he might not have been the most talented Hab, or best player, but in terms of "greatness", and all that "being great" encompasses, there is no one who touches the Rocket, especially in the province of Quebec.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
The Rocket the matter how you look at it. Followed by either Harvey or Beliveau if the question is "who was the best player to ever wear a habs jersey?" The way you worded it makes me think "who best exemplified what it was to be a hab?" The Rocket still wins, but I would put Morenz right up there with him. A while back someone asked which players were most important to each franchise and I put Morenz ahead of Beliveau much to GBC's chagrin ;)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Rocket the matter how you look at it. Followed by either Harvey or Beliveau if the question is "who was the best player to ever wear a habs jersey?" The way you worded it makes me think "who best exemplified what it was to be a hab?" The Rocket still wins, but I would put Morenz right up there with him. A while back someone asked which players were most important to each franchise and I put Morenz ahead of Beliveau much to GBC's chagrin ;)

I agree, the Rocket 100%

akiberg*

With no disrespect to the players mentioned here I would go with Patrick Roy, won two cups by himself. Luckily as Habs fans you have had an embarrassment of great players over the years. Debate away.

Transported Upstater

1) Maurice Richard
2) Jean Beliveau
3) Doug Harvey
4) Guillame Latendresse

IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I would like to know who the greatest Hab of them all is...... I pesonally take Beliveau over the Rocket..... but not by much .... or would it be someone else say Lafleur or Harvey....:dunno:

Greatest is the Rocket, Best was Beliveau.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For me its:
Biggest icon: Rocket
Done the most for his team: Beliveau (also my personal 2nd favorite player ever)
Best Player: Harvey

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
Legendary: Maurice Richard - Because he's more then a hockey player, He's Cultural Icon
Greatess: Jean Beliveau - Because he still his a great human being
Best: Lafleur - Cause that was just pure talent

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Greatest Hab is either Richard or Beliveau. I'd lean towards Richard.

The greatest player to play for the Habs is either Beliveau, Harvey, Lafluer, Plante, Morenz, Richard or Roy. I'd lean towards Lafluer.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Greatest is the Rocket, Best was Beliveau.

That's a good way of saying it.

I always cop out in arguements of 'greatest' or 'best ever' because I can never settle on a definition for long enough.

If you want a guy to seize a game by the throat and find a way to win, I'd go with the Rocket.

If you want a guy who epitomizes what you want in an athlete on and off the ice, take Beliveau.

If you talk to players from that era, you could be surprised by how close Harvey is.

Take Lafleur's 6 dominant years, and it's as good as it gets.

I guess I'd say Richard because you have to pick someone.

I think Patrick Roy is in the mix when we fight over his position's best ever, but to say that he won alone is one of those myths that get bought into. Both of his wins in Mtl were unexpected, but to suggest that he did it alone, well, you aren't looking hard enough.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
'Greatest' often becomes 'favorite'.

I doubt there's anyone around who saw Morenz play so it becomes the most popular which would probably be the Rocket.

My favorites were Lafleur, Gainey, Beliveau, Pocket Rocket, Dryden, Savard & Robinson.

No one here probably saw Bill Durnan play either but check out his numbers and for a short career, he accomplished alot.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
In the regular season sure, but Turk Broda owned him in the playoffs.

That always seems to be the opinion...if a team loses in the playoffs it's the goalers fault. Look at the Habs record before Durnan came along. And he did win two cups in his 7 years.

Teams win and lose, not individual players.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
A couple of years ago, Red Fisher selected his top 10 Habs that he had ever seen in his 50 years of covering the team. Now this doesn`t include players he never saw like Morenz, and he left out goalies intentionally. But it`s still an interesting list:

1. Jean Beliveau
2. Maurice Richard
3. Guy Lafleur
4. Doug Harvey
5. Henri Richard
6. Larry Robinson
7. Bernie Geoffrion
8. Bob Gainey
9. Dickie Moore
10. Serge Savard

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
With no disrespect to the players mentioned here I would go with Patrick Roy, won two cups by himself. Luckily as Habs fans you have had an embarrassment of great players over the years. Debate away.

No doubt it's Patrick Roy. He is the greatest goalie of all time. He is the Jerry Rice of his sport. He has records that nobody will come close to.

The second greatest Hab of all-time has to be Todd Harvey. Look at the hardware this man owns. He is one of the 3 or 4 greatest D-Men of all-time. I personal have him second behind Bobby Orr.

Just my 2 Cents, from a Boston POV.

EDIT: DOUG Harvey.... Oppps

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad