Greatest Goaltender of All-Time? (merged)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
man... Ken Dryden only played like 9 years though, right?
What does that have to do with the best player? You can use it to evaluate the best career, but in terms of evaluating the best player, look at how he actually played: look at his strengths and weaknesses, his skills, his mental abilities his performance, and most importantly of all, how he performed when the hockey mattered most: the playoffs.

Reality is that no goalie had a stretch of dominance better than Ken Dryden. In his eight-year career (keep in mind that he spent the first half of the season in one of those years) he was a five-time first-team all-star and a second-team all-star. Five Vezina Trophies. The only goalies who had that kind of dominant stretch are Hasek and Bill Durnan, who both won six Vezinas and were named first-team all-stars six times in an eight-year stretch. The difference? Dryden won six Cups and a Conn Smythe during that stretch. Durnan won two, and Hasek won none during his eight-year run.

Big Phil, you know I respect you, but Hall absolutely has to be one of the top five ever. Yes, I know he won only one Cup, and that does hurt his cause. I think he'd be the unquestioned greatest goalie ever with a better playoff record. After all, he had the most first-team all-star selections ever, and he owns quite possibly the most unbreakable record in sports. But he did win the Conn Smythe in 1968, when he was brilliant for St. Louis, and got the Hawks to the Cup final in 1962 and 1965. (I'm sure resident Hawks historian murray can fill us in with the details of Hall's play in 62 and 65).

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Hasek is the most dominant goalie I've ever seen.
Roy should be second then followed by Glenn Hall and Terry Sawchuk.
though he sucks today, Belfour should probably be in the top 10.

Oh and Jose Theodore. :sarcasm:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
What does that have to do with the best player? You can use it to evaluate the best career, but in terms of evaluating the best player, look at how he actually played: look at his strengths and weaknesses, his skills, his mental abilities his performance, and most importantly of all, how he performed when the hockey mattered most: the playoffs.

Reality is that no goalie had a stretch of dominance better than Ken Dryden. In his eight-year career (keep in mind that he spent the first half of the season in one of those years) he was a five-time first-team all-star and a second-team all-star. Five Vezina Trophies. The only goalies who had that kind of dominant stretch are Hasek and Bill Durnan, who both won six Vezinas and were named first-team all-stars six times in an eight-year stretch. The difference? Dryden won six Cups and a Conn Smythe during that stretch. Durnan won two, and Hasek won none during his eight-year run.

Big Phil, you know I respect you, but Hall absolutely has to be one of the top five ever. Yes, I know he won only one Cup, and that does hurt his cause. I think he'd be the unquestioned greatest goalie ever with a better playoff record. After all, he had the most first-team all-star selections ever, and he owns quite possibly the most unbreakable record in sports. But he did win the Conn Smythe in 1968, when he was brilliant for St. Louis, and got the Hawks to the Cup final in 1962 and 1965. (I'm sure resident Hawks historian murray can fill us in with the details of Hall's play in 62 and 65).

Of course Dryden benefited perhaps more than any other goalie in NHL history from the team behind him. Still he was great by any possible measuring stick but he also avoided and early drought by not becoming an NHL for years after it was possible he could have and then retired early (but not becuse he had to). He is one of the best goalies ever for sure but his stats and achievements are overstated perhaps becuse he only played at his peak but not becuse of circumstances or injuries but becuse he choose a short career and he was on by far the most dominant team in the post expansion era with a significant amount of teams. The Big three defencemen were a huge component of his insane success.

Looking at Hasek he also had a shorter career but because he was in Europe and also had injuries. But he was in a bigger league and shone incredibly bright enough to win the Hart twice and multiple other times as a top candidate with a very average team.

Hasek to me was the best goalie ever to strap on pads. But he didn't have the greatest career. That goes to Roy, Plante, Hall or Sawchuck.

It is harder to pick the best goalie moreso than the greatest forward or greatest D-Man. But in Peak performance for me it is Hasek no doubt (though Hainsworth and Dryden deserve consideration). For career their are 3 6 teamers and Roy.

For forward their is Gretzky and Howe and defence is obviously Orr.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

Gotta agree with you that Hall is in the top 5 even though he only won one cup. I followed the hawks closely those years and can not remember an instance where Hawks lost because of Hall. It was very frustrating to watch this power house team fail in the playoffs year after year but I blame coaching not goaltending. Reay just was not the right coach for a team of superstars. There were 4 very good teams from 1962 thru 67. the Hawks, Wings, Leafs & Habs were all great teams during this period & were all capable of winning the cup. I give credit to Imlach who put together a balanced checking team that was designed to win playoff series & won 4 cups in this six year period. By the way, Bowere was a great clutch goalie & deserves more credit than he is generally given.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'd just like to make a statement as someone who has lived in Buffalo 11 years.

Hasek is quite possibly one of the most overrated goalies ever. Not vastly overrated, but people say he made amazing acrobatic saves that no one thought were possible. Just because a guy makes the save "look cool" doesn't mean it was a better quality save.

I mean lets compare the top 3 goalies and what they would do in the same situation. Lets say the opposing teams leading scorer is barreling on goal with the puck a few strides in front of him. Roy would jump out and cover it. Brodeur would come out and flick it up the boards. Hasek would wait until the player got in, then dive and flop all around the crease until the ref loses sight. A fairly simply play that Hasek over dramaticized.

I'm not saying Hasek is a bad goalie, I'm saying he put on a performance that entertained people. And people need to look at the skills and accomplishments of a player, before ranking them above others who were not as entertaining but equally as effective.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site

that was kind of my point... i should've elaborated and said that had Dryden played longer, i think i would have to go with him.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
I remember a young kid winning the World Championships for the hosts in 1985 and beating The Big Red Machine. His name was Dominik Hasek and he turned out to be the best goaltender of all time...

In all seriousness, I think it's down to Hasek or Tretiak. I'll go with Hasek.

Bajahobo

Aug 2, 2005
TN
Over a career it's probably Sawchuk, Plante, or Roy (*maybe* even Hasek).

But one game? One series? Hell, one playoff.

Give me Bernie Parent.

Although Brodeur may pass Roy/Hasek by the time he finishes up.

I think one of the things Brodeur doesn't get enough credit for is his puckhandling skills. I know people will bring up Hextall or Turco but really they aren't even close. Brodeur is far and away the best puck handling goalie of all-time, he has hands like a forward. When the league makes a rule to try and stop the guy, you know he's good. Revolutionary.

Anyway I voted Parent just to stir the pot. People talk about Roy having that imtimidation factor. Bernie (especially home in Philly) had that about tenfold. You did NOT want to face him in any kind of big game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad