Greatest Goalie of All Time #7

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Lot's of if's involved.

Tretjak was outstanding in Europe and in international tournaments, but we never see him challeging NHL goalies in a long series. He also played behind legends like Fetisov and Kasatonov. If he had played in a mediocre NHL team, his numbers could have been totally different. Comparison is therefore impossible.

However, I'll go with Tretjak. He was a synonum for a goalie when I was a kid.

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
It's time for Durnan. 6 Vezinas and 6 1st All-Star teams in 7 years. I think he's the only ambidextrous goalie, and I think also the last goalie to be a captain. Add Gardiner.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I feel that Hainsworth deserves to be next, but since he doesn`t have a chance now I`ll save my vote for whoever has the best chance of beating Tretiak, who seems to always suspiciously get a large cluster of votes near the end of each round.

Add Frank Brimsek.

One thing I`m curious about: Bill Durnan 10 votes; Turk Broda 0 votes?????

Why so lopsided? It looks like a tossup between them to me:

Durnan: 6 Vezinas, 2 Stanley Cups
Broda: 2 Vezinas, 5 Stanley Cups

One of Durnan's Cups was during WWII when the other teams rosters were decimated. Broda looks to clearly be the better playoff goalie. Considering how much recent goalies are judged on playoff play (Fuhr and Smith will be picked long before Vanbiesbrouck or Peeters), it's surprising that Broda isn't getting much support.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I agree, I'm note voting Durnan until Broda's voted in. They went toe to toe and Broda was better.

But for the moment, I'm voting Hainsworth, add Brimsek.

Tactical voting be damned, I always vote with my heart.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
add Fuhr

I dont understand how Billy Smith is there before Fuhr..

Four cups in a row is much harder then 5 cups in 7 years. Plus Smith is one of the top two clutch goalies of all time-if he wasn't clutch I would put him from 30-40. But he's up there with Roy and the best of them when it comes time for the playoffs. Fuhr never carried a team to the cup almost by himself (Smith did, and ironically against Fuhr).

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I have a Finnish translation of a book from 1977 called "Tretjak maalissa" (Tretjak in the goal). Some Russian writer could say is the correct way in English to spell his name Tretjak or Tretiak as most of the English-speaking writers seem to be using.

Sorry OT, but for me it is an important detail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad