Greatest Goalie of All time #1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hasek to me. He was the most dominant player of the sport for quite a few years.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I voted Sawchuk, but only cause Durnan didn't play long enough. But he was able to catch the puck with both hands, and won a lot of games (and Cups) in 8 years.

Do NOT add Fuhr. Please. Seriously.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Could someone explain to me why Roy is so highly rated? I know he's good, one of the best. But, he just never seemed to dominate the game like Sawchuk, Plante and Hasek did.

I vote Sawchuk. Durnan and Dryden suffer in my eyes because they never played outside their prime. As good as they were, and they're both probably top 10, they aren't top 5.

Add Clint Benedict

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
A largely young voting audience, most of whom definitely hasn't seen Praying Benny, and probably haven't seen most of the others either.
I guess, it's just, I'm not that old (early 20's) and yet, when I see polls like this, I do my best to research the stars of past to gain as much perspective as possible.

And for ease of reference, here's a list of all hall of fame goalies, with links to stats, accomplishments and biographies.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsPlayersByPosition.jsp?pos=G

Poke06

Jul 6, 2006
If I could vote I'd have to go with Sawchuck, but I'd also ad Johnny Bower in there as well.-

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Thanks! Yeah, I started it back when I was an undergraduate - back then, there wasn't a lot on goalies on the Internet, and I wanted to know a lot about goalies. So everything I could find, I put into the page.

Needless to say, I had a lot of free time back then. :)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think it is hard to do a list like this with two of the goalies still active, one of whom has a contract through 2011.

I honestly believe that when it's all said and done, Brodeur will be the best goltender ever. But right now, I have to give it to Sawchuk.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think it is hard to do a list like this with two of the goalies still active, one of whom has a contract through 2011.

I honestly believe that when it's all said and done, Brodeur will be the best goltender ever. But right now, I have to give it to Sawchuk.
I think Brodeur might be the greatest statistical goalie ever. He'll likely break Roy's wins record, and it wouldn't surprise me if he takes a run at Sawchuk's shutout record. But there's more to evaluating goalies than just stats. Liars figure and figures lie. You have to look at how he played the game. Unless Brodeur goes on a remarkable a Vezina/first-team all-star/Conn Smythe binge, he'll fall short of the level of Roy/Plante/Sawchuk/Hall.

A gimmie for the HHOF? Yes. One of the top 50 players ever? Yes. And there are some things he does as well as any goalie ever. One of the best puckhandling goalies. One of the best at thriving under a light workload. And one of the best at meshing the butterfly and stand-up styles.

But will he ever be regarded as the best ever to play the game, from the perspective of strictly how he played the game? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad