Greatest Forwards of All Time #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Bobby Hull just won with one vote. It was a very close race between him and Messier. Trottier will be added and say who you want added next as well. I vote for Guy LaFleur add Ted Lindsay.

#1 Gretzky(64.71%)
#2 Lemieux(63.77%)
#3 Howe(63.41%)
#4 Richard(31.58%)
#5 Beliveau(53.49%)
#6 Hull(28.81%)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
canucksfan said:
Bobby Hull just won with one vote. It was a very close race between him and Messier. Trottier will be added and say who you want added next as well. I vote for Guy LaFleur add Ted Lindsay.

#1 Gretzky(64.71%)
#2 Lemieux(63.77%)
#3 Howe(63.41%)
#4 Richard(31.58%)
#5 Beliveau(53.49%)
#6 Hull(28.81%)
Agree with adding Lindsay. Time for one of the top 2 LWs of all time to be added.

PS: Is Red Kelly to be counted as a forward or a defenceman?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Agree with adding Lindsay. Time for one of the top 2 LWs of all time to be added.

PS: Is Red Kelly to be counted as a forward or a defenceman?
I would count him as a defenceman. I was thinking about that when I started doing this poll and his best years were when he was a defenceman. Since this is the best forwards of all time I don't think he should be added.

KOVALEV10*

BikeGiftingMan said:
Dunno why, but I had to go with good ol' Howie Morenz. I figure that The Flower will win this round.

Nah I think Mr. Overrated Mark Messier will win it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
KOVALEV10 said:
Nah I think Mr. Overrated Mark Messier will win it.
If people gain an understanding of strategic voting and pick LaFleur (even if they think Espo, Mikita, Trotts, Morenz or Clarke) was better, then Guy has a pretty good shot.

I'd definitely take Guy over Messier.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
God Bless Canada said:
If people gain an understanding of strategic voting and pick LaFleur (even if they think Espo, Mikita, Trotts, Morenz or Clarke) was better, then Guy has a pretty good shot.

That's what I'm doing, but I don't know how many others will use that strategy. In my opinion Morenz is the best player on this list, but I think LaFleur is much more deserving than Messier. So I'll wait a bit before casting my vote. If LaFleur and Messier are close, I'll vote for Guy. Otherwise I'll vote for Morenz.

Edit: add Ted Lindsay and his 600 stitches

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hockey Outsider said:
That's what I'm doing, but I don't know how many others will use that strategy. In my opinion Morenz is the best player on this list, but I think LaFleur is much more deserving than Messier. So I'll wait a bit before casting my vote. If LaFleur and Messier are close, I'll vote for Guy. Otherwise I'll vote for Morenz.

I actually did that the last time with Bobby Hull. Not that Hull is a bad pick for No. 6, he's likely the best LW ever and probably had the best shot in the history of the game. A much better pick than Messier, though. But I actually would have gone with Espo. (Leadership being the tie-breaker in a battle between two of the best goal scorers ever). That's why I didn't say who I would vote when I suggested adding Terrible Ted.

Canadian politics has found its way onto HF Boards.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Voted Morenz. I don't want to see that guy behing Mark Messier. I would be a pretty big stain on a list that's so well started.

Add Terrible Ted.

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:
can't we vote for and exalt our own heroes without calling down the favorites of others??
Yes Bucky but people actually compared the Moose to guys like Gretzky and Lemieux saying Messier was in their league and some even went as far as saying he's the best forward ever and Lafleur wasn't even close. If that's not overrating I dont know what is.

KOVALEV10*

God Bless Canada said:

By the way.. I replied to what you said in the Kovalev thread a few days ago but you never answered? :dunno:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Hockey Outsider said:

Good strategy. Messier almost beat Hull in the last round which would have been a complete travesty. Personally I think Hull belonged in the top four. I like Morenz but am going to wait to vote as there are at least 3 players on this list better than Messier.

Add lindsay.

KariyaIsGod*

Bring Back Bucky said:
can't we vote for and exalt our own heroes without calling down the favorites of others??

Well, this is the man who started the Lafleur is as good as Gretzky debate...

KariyaIsGod*

KOVALEV10 said:
Yes Bucky but people actually compared the Moose to guys like Gretzky and Lemieux saying Messier was in their league and some even went as far as saying he's the best forward ever and Lafleur wasn't even close. If that's not overrating I dont know what is.

I'm gonna' have to agree here...

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
KariyaIsGod said:
I'm gonna' have to agree here...

With all due respect, I understand how the so called 'mystique' associated with Messier became so overblown with the 94 'guarantee'.

However, this man was also dominant on the ice for many years before that window in time. Messier had the ability to will a team to victory. When the talented team that was destined to be bridesmades fonally sealed the deal, it was Messier, not his great team mate who led the way.By the time you were eight, he'd been in the league fourteen years and accomplished MUCH MORE than that one overdone playoff.

I think just much of a problem to Mess is that he chose to play so many years beyond his prime, when yes, he was fractional to the player he once was. Oddly, we don't punish GOrdie Howe's memory for that last turn round the ice at age 52, or lower our rating of Guy Lafleur for those 2 seasons in Quebec, (especially the 2nd when he didn't take part in road games ). For some reason, Mess seems to be responsible to pay a toll for loving the game and for the hype and mystique the media cast over him... Others face no such demerits and I find it odd.

Ogopogo*

Messier was great, that cannot be disputed. How great is the dispute.

Being a huge Oilers fan and a huge Messier fan, I am biased but I will say that Messier is overrated by many people.

He is not in the Gretzky/Howe/Lemieux category. Messier is the 25th greatest forward of all time and the 34th greatest player overall. (Not including goaltenders)

There is tremendous hype surrounding this legend, blowing his percieved place in history out of proportion.

Love Mess but, I gotta call it like it is.

You should add Bill Cowley, Andy Bathgate, Ted Kennedy, Syl Apps Sr, Babe Dye, Elmer Lach, Cy Denneny, Milt Schmidt and Nels Stewart to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

KariyaIsGod*

He is not in the Gretzky/Howe/Lemieux category.

I agree with many of your points Bucky, but this quote is basically what I'm not going to agree to. I din't think you are trying to insinuate that, but Kovalev mentioned that it had been previously said.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I voted Clarke. I am surprised he didn't get more votes form others. He was so dominant in his prime. I'll keep voting for him until he wins in 2-4 more rounds.

KOVALEV10*

cup2006sensrule said:
I voted Clarke. I am surprised he didn't get more votes form others. He was so dominant in his prime. I'll keep voting for him until he wins in 2-4 more rounds.
Yep Clarke is better then Lafleur and Messier :shakehead

Ogopogo*

Tookhavlatandtanguay said:
Messier is a top 10 player..nuff said.

I respect your opinion but, I would also like to hear your reasons for placing hin in the top 10.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->