Greatest Defenceman of All Time #3

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'll take Harvey and his seven Norris Trophies in eight years, six Stanley Cups (the best defenceman on the best team ever assembled) and 10 first-team all-star selections.

Add the best defenceman to never win a Norris, Brad Park. (This one should be easy).

Last edited:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Harvey. Add Pilote and Chelios, remove Coffey.

If Bourque wins this one, I will hereby refuse to participate in these polls.
I am only adding one this time. I added two the last time to make it ten.

I will be very dissapointed if Bourque wins this one. I don't have Bourque in my top five.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
canucksfan said:
I am only adding one this time. I added two the last time to make it ten.

I will be very dissapointed if Bourque wins this one. I don't have Bourque in my top five.

Reread my post. I don't think Coffey belongs, that's why I suggest adding two. But if you want just one, add Pilote.

As for Bourque, I agree. He's not in my top 5 either. Personally amongst guys I've seen play, Bourque would be behind Potvin, Robinson and Chelios. Bourque just didn't have the physical edge and killer instinct those guys had.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Reread my post. I don't think Coffey belongs, that's why I suggest adding two. But if you want just one, add Pilote.

As for Bourque, I agree. He's not in my top 5 either. Personally amongst guys I've seen play, Bourque would be behind Potvin, Robinson and Chelios. Bourque just didn't have the physical edge and killer instinct those guys had.
I know what you meant but I'm not removing Coffey. Coffey is better than two players on the list(Stevens and Lidstrom).

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
canucksfan said:
I know what you meant but I'm not removing Coffey. Coffey is better than two players on the list(Stevens and Lidstrom).

More offensively gifted yes, but he was nowhere near the d-men Stevens and Lidstrom were/are. Way too one-dimensional to be included amongst the all-time greats IMO.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I actually have Bourque at No. 4. The thing about Bourque is not only was he a top-notch offensive defenceman with a sneaky, accurate shot and great smarts, but he was considered by many to be the best defensive defenceman in the league at his peak. His endurance was freakish.

I've long maintained that Bourque should have won the Hart Trophy in 1990. Messier was the best player in the league that year, and justifiably won the Pearson for the best player. But nobody meant more to his team's success than Bourque. Plus, there's something to be said about 19 all-star team selections.

But I can't pass up Harvey's accomplishments. Ten first-team all-star selections. Seven Norris Trophies. (Was a first team all-star the two years before the Norris' inception). A fantastic all-round defender. And there's just something to be said about a player's legacy when he's the best defenceman on the best team that the NHL has ever seen.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Harvey. I'm really interested to see where Earl Seibert comes in. He was the Park to Shore's - Orr.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Psycho Papa Joe said:
More offensively gifted yes, but he was nowhere near the d-men Stevens and Lidstrom were/are. Way too one-dimensional to be included amongst the all-time greats IMO.
Voted Shore
Add (edit - changed my mind to Park) and agree with this sentiment. When ranking all time defensemen their defensive game had better not be their main flaw.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
voted Harvey, add Park.

I don't understand the argument against Coffey...whether he was one dimensional or not, the guy scored 100 points 5 times--incredible for a defenseman--and had 89 or higher in three other seasons.

3 Norris trophies: '85, '86, '95

4 Stanley Cups: '84, '85, '87, '91

14x All Star selection.

Think any coach actually wanted a player as gifted as Coffey to stay-at-home?

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kovy1335 said:
voted Harvey, add Park.

I don't understand the argument against Coffey...whether he was one dimensional or not, the guy scored 100 points 5 times--incredible for a defenseman--and had 89 or higher in three other seasons.

3 Norris trophies: '85, '86, '95

4 Stanley Cups: '84, '85, '87, '91

14x All Star selection.

Think any coach actually wanted a player as gifted as Coffey to stay-at-home?

``He's not one of my favorites,'' said Bowman, referring to Coffey as ``a role player.''

``A guy that can skate like he can, has all that talent, why can't he play defense?'' Bowman asked. ``He's not as good on the power play as people think. The main thing he can do is carry the puck up the ice, but his work at the point isn't that great.''

Dec. '96.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Stevens and Lidstrom are nowhere near Coffey offensively. Coffey's defence was average. However, he was so good offensively that it didn't really matter. Furthermore, he played in an era where defence didn't matter as much. He wasn't asked to play superb defence.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Shore won with 37 votes and Fetisov and Stevens will be added next. I am voting for Harvey and add Park.

#1.Orr(89.26%)
#2.Harvey(37.00%)
Number two has to be Eddie Shore according to your former poll.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
norrisnick said:
``He's not one of my favorites,'' said Bowman, referring to Coffey as ``a role player.''

``A guy that can skate like he can, has all that talent, why can't he play defense?'' Bowman asked. ``He's not as good on the power play as people think. The main thing he can do is carry the puck up the ice, but his work at the point isn't that great.''

Dec. '96.

Reference? Link?

Here's one from Coffey's bio at legendsofhockey.com

Bowman: "Coffey was one of the most unique defensemen to ever play in the league. He was often referred to as a 'rover.' The biggest thing about Coffey was his tremendous speed. If he couldn't skate like he did, he would not have been able to move up and play like he did. He was like a fourth forward on most attacks."

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Ok, I resisted voting for my favourite and went with Harvey who I think is deserving of # 3

Anyone who doesn't think Coffey belongs on this list didn't get to watch him in his prime I think. He was as great an offensive defensmen as I think we'll ever see, his only peer in that regard is Orr. Neidermeyer in full flight rushing up the ice is something to see but it still doesn't compare to Coffey.

Add Pilote.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
norrisnick said:

Dec. '96.

Assuming that what you said is true...not every offensive defenseman's strength is going to be on the power play. Everyone knows Coffey was one of the greatest skaters in hockey; that's why he was so good. You don't do much skating on the point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->