Greatest Defenceman of All Time #1

CycloneTaylor

Apr 17, 2006
For me growing up in the new era, it was Ray Bourque. The things that that man did were incredible. The run that Colorado had that year was spectacular. Bourque and his quest captured the imagination of an entire team. His play was something to behold in of itself. I've never seen a defenseman that appeared to play so effortlessly. It was like Ray Bourque didn't have to lunge, he was always in the right place. He didn't pass the puck, he handed it to teammates. He didn't shoot, he guided. The others are all standouts though

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
canucksfan said:
Since there wasn't many votes on the last polls I decided to start the defenceman. I will only put seven defenceman on the list. Remember to add someone. I am voting for Bobby Orr add Paul Coffey.
Yeh, for sure it was time to move on when Kurri comes in at # 24. Either shows a lack of interest of those that know hockey history or an increase of interest of those that don't.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We should be able to jump ahead and start voting for #4 as the top 3 should be no-brainers.

1. Orr
2. Shore
3. Harvey

Add

Chelios, Park and Coffey

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
So this is it for the forwards Canucksfan??

Actually I was surprised by the drops in voting too.

Are you planning to do polls for either goalies, coaches etc?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Shelby-villains said:
What a snobby comment!
Orr add Coffey.
When you have Marcel Dionne placing No. 20 (he of under a point-per-game in the playoffs) it says that something's wrong. Too many people vote only based on who they saw, or who they've heard of. It's the best way to whittle out those who aren't willing to do their research.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Bobby Orr. This is the most lopsided poll since the Gretzky vs. Lafleur one last year.

Add Lidstrom, but there`s enough good contenders to add 4 more to make it 10.

The next three choices are obvious, but the order will be an interesting debate next round.

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
John Flyers Fan said:
We should be able to jump ahead and start voting for #4 as the top 3 should be no-brainers.

1. Orr
2. Shore
3. Harvey

True that is the top 3, but should be in this order:

1. Orr
2. Harvey
3. Shore

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Bluesfan1981 said:

1. Orr
2. Harvey
3. Shore
Ah, the beauty of debate. No. 2 should be a very interesting decision. Shore or Harvey? The debate's only been raging for 40 years. (I'll take Eddie Shore, personally, but it's not by much. Bourque is definitely below both of them).

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bluesfan1981 said:

1. Orr
2. Harvey
3. Shore

Having not seen either, Shore's 4 Hart trophies should be the deciding factor IMO. Only 3 players in hostory have more than 3 Hart's (Gretzky, Howe and Shore).

As great as Harvey was, he never was voted league MVP.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Having not seen either, Shore's 4 Hart trophies should be the deciding factor IMO. Only 3 players in hostory have more than 3 Hart's (Gretzky, Howe and Shore).

As great as Harvey was, he never was voted league MVP.
The fact that he didn't win a Hart is more to the fact of the depth of options playing in Montreal, and the fact that no defensemen won the Hart between WWII and Bobby Orr. Montreal had 3 Art Ross winners, won 5 Vezinas, and 5 Stanley Cups in 5 years, yet had 1 Hart winner, Beliveau in 56, when he won the Art Ross.

Between Babe Pratt in 44 and Bobby Orr in 70, only Kelly in 54 and Harvey in 62 managed to rank 2nd in Hart voting.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
In my lifetime, Robert Orr, by the length of a hockey rink. ;)

Saw a feature that OLN aired on him recently. Listening to some of the old timers like Milt Schmidt talk about him brought me to tears, not ashamed to admit. And watching the old tape of him gracefully carrying it around the net, looking up ice is - even decades later - as close as sports gets to perfection.

Sorry to be come off as melodramatic, but it's sincere. There was none better...and I'm not sure if one could conceivably be any better.

My own choice for a distant second is Denis Potvin.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I thank ESPN classics for introducing me to Bobby Orr. I have probably seen 20-30 games of his on TV, its a shame none live, as he was before my lifetime.

He is the quintessential hockey player. Greatest ever. #4 should be retired league wide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad