Greatest Babyface ever

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The moment people picked up on hogan's trash attitude and backstage politics his popularity quickly dwindled.

Taker on the other hand, has nothing but respect from everyone inside and out.

I'd say austin would be even a better choice over hogan despite his domestic abuse.

Your reasoning after every name listed has absolutely nothing to do with the question. What do respect inside and out and domestic abuse have to do with the top faces?

This is a three parter, since it's a rather difficult question.

If it's all-around, it's gotta be Hogan or Bruno since those guys carried companies and drew money as the babyface on top for 20 years combined.

If it's in-ring, no babyface has been any better than Ricky Steamboat at doing the things that need to be done, like selling big and making the comeback.

If it's promos, then it's Dusty Rhodes.

End thread.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
When it comes to being over in a territory, the Von Erichs and specifically Kerry were huge. Even in areas where they didn't tour but ran TV, like Boston, WCCW was hot and they were the engine driving it.

I also think Ricky Morton should get a mention here.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Your reasoning after every name listed has absolutely nothing to do with the question. What do respect inside and out and domestic abuse have to do with the top faces?

End thread.

People lost respect for austin because of the domestic abuse but it's still nowhere near as bad as the things hogan has done to lose most if not all respect.

If fans don't respect them or their character how are they the greatest babyface? it's not rocket science use your head.

Taker has non-existant negativity from fans and co-works alike and had a baby face run well over a decade with no complaints (and no people saying he should retire because of his age has nothing to do with his character)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Steve Austin
Hulk Hogan
The Rock
Randy Savage

Can't disagree with any of these. I would have the say the ultimate babyface is probably Austin, though. I feel like the guy could have run for years and years more w/o being booed one single time. Hogan/Cena/Rock got stale as babyfaces. Rock more-so in the beginning due to bad character, but Austin seemed like a guy people wanted to drink a beer with.

Austin is my #1. Rock is my #2. Cena/Hogan are my #3.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
You guys need to watch the standing ovation Hogan got in Montreal on smackdown after his match with the rock at mania. Also his reaction on raw.

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
It's Hogan and it's not even close.

How the AWA managed to screw up Hogan despite being as over as he was before bolting to the WWF is the stuff of legends.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
You guys need to watch the standing ovation Hogan got in Montreal on smackdown after his match with the rock at mania. Also his reaction on raw.

Those are impressive responses, but in all fairness, SCSA got those on the regular during his run as a babyface. Austin didn't even have to be in the arena.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
People lost respect for austin because of the domestic abuse but it's still nowhere near as bad as the things hogan has done to lose most if not all respect.

If fans don't respect them or their character how are they the greatest babyface? it's not rocket science use your head.

Taker has non-existant negativity from fans and co-works alike and had a baby face run well over a decade with no complaints (and no people saying he should retire because of his age has nothing to do with his character)

All of these things happened after their big runs.

Nothing has changed in terms of people cheering for some one. Hogan, Austin, Rock all get legendary cheers no matter what.

Hogan has probably lost the respect of almost everyone because of the **** he pulled. I hardly even hear people mention the Austin domestic stuff.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Don't think he's the #1 guy, but the lack of Cena in this thread disturbs me. This guy put the company on his back through a VERY meager decade in terms of talent to work with. Like him or not, the dude was a legitimate mega draw when there really weren't a lot of draws in wrestling and his ring work remains very underrated by many.

Looking at the Reigns cluster**** makes me appreciate how great Cena truly is. Yes, there was a lot of hot garbage from 2006-2012, but look at what was happening in the rest of that company at the same time.

Obviously I wouldn't place him above Hogan or Bruno but he deserves at least an honorable mention.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Don't think he's the #1 guy, but the lack of Cena in this thread disturbs me. This guy put the company on his back through a VERY meager decade in terms of talent to work with. Like him or not, the dude was a legitimate mega draw when there really weren't a lot of draws in wrestling and his ring work remains very underrated by many.

Looking at the Reigns cluster**** makes me appreciate how great Cena truly is. Yes, there was a lot of hot garbage from 2006-2012, but look at what was happening in the rest of that company at the same time.

Obviously I wouldn't place him above Hogan or Bruno but he deserves at least an honorable mention.

Cena just doesn't carry the same weight as Hogan, Austin, Rock, etc. do.

Difference between Cena and everyone else though is the length of his run. It's been a massive gigantic run. Hogan had his 80s run, but in the 90s a lot changed.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The answer is Hulk Hogan AINEC. He made wrestling in the 80's.
This right here.

Hogan

Austin
Bruno

There was nothing Austin did that Hogan didn't do before him better.
During Austin's peak he was neck and neck with a heel Hogan for crying out loud. On top of that, you cannot compare 80s Hogan with Austin. Hogan was on such another level nobody wanted to be on the B show because they knew if they were on the A show with Hogan they were getting paid.

Hogan's 80s run was once in a lifetime. Nobody else was getting his pops. Austin and Rock were getting the same reactions during the AE.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This right here.

Hogan

Austin
Bruno

There was nothing Austin did that Hogan didn't do before him better.
During Austin's peak he was neck and neck with a heel Hogan for crying out loud. On top of that, you cannot compare 80s Hogan with Austin. Hogan was on such another level nobody wanted to be on the B show because they knew if they were on the A show with Hogan they were getting paid.

Hogan's 80s run was once in a lifetime. Nobody else was getting his pops. Austin and Rock were getting the same reactions during the AE.

There was nothing Austin did that Hogan didn't do before him better? The most watched time frame for wrestling wasn't headed by Hogan. Remember that. And Hogan's face run looked absolutely nothing like Austin's. They were direct opposites in terms of story style and character style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->