Great Overtime Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
I suppose this has been done before but when i searched the archives it told me that nothing matched my search.
I am writing a hockey announcement for my girls hockey team, they one in overtime yesterday, and would like to reference some other great overtime goals
I was thinking Sittler in 76' on that Godzilla goalie
Lemieux's overtime winner in the second game of the 87' Canada Cup
Lecaviler's winner against the czech's
anyway I appreciate anthing any of you can think of...

cheers SESS

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Yikes, it would be sacreligious to allow this thread to go any further without citing perhaps the most dramatic OT goal of the last half-century:

Islanders Bobby Nystrom's Stanley Cup winner at 7:11 of OT, Game Six of the Finals, May 1980.

The beginning of a dynasty.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:
Yikes, it would be sacreligious to allow this thread to go any further without citing perhaps the most dramatic OT goal of the last half-century:

Islanders Bobby Nystrom's Stanley Cup winner at 7:11 of OT, Game Six of the Finals, May 1980.

The beginning of a dynasty.

brought to you by ... Leon Stickle and Bob Myers :p:

salis_rax

Apr 27, 2005
Brett Hull for the Dallas Stars in game 6, 1999.

Oh, wait. THAT WASN'T A GOAL. (Not that I'm bitter.)

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
The Pat Lafontaine spinning ot goal vs. Bob Mason.

I always liked the Keith Primeau 5th overtime goal vs. Ron Tugnutt. It isn't "great alltime"....I just liked it because it was a great goal to end a looooong game. Not just a garbage goal.

NYIsles1*

In Islander historical order.

J.P Parise vs Rangers
Bob Nystrom vs Rangers (puck went into the air as J.D raced out of his net and landed at Nystrom's skates behind him with open net)
Ken Morrow vs Los Angeles
Clark Gillies vs Boston
Bob Nystrom vs Buffalo
Bob Nystrom vs Philadelphia (cup winner)
Ken Morrow vs Edmonton
John Tonelli vs Pittsburgh
Bryan Trottier vs Rangers
Mike Bossy vs Vancouver
Ken Morrow vs Rangers in game five overtime
Pat LaFontaine vs Washington in four overtimes at 2am.
Pat LaFontaine vs New Jersey
Brent Sutter vs Rangers
Ray Ferraro/Brian Mullen x 3 vs Washington
David Volek vs Pittsburgh.

Ogopogo*

Nystrom's cup winner in '80
Bossy's Canada Cup semifinal goal in '84
Ken Morrow in game 5 vs Rangers in '84
Pat Lafontaine game 7 vs Washington in '87
Wayne Gretzky vs Calgary game 2 in '88
Esa Tikkanen vs Calgary game 7 '91

blamebettman*

Bure's offsides winner in 1994, game 7 against Vernon

Rafalski had a good OT winner against the leafs a few years ago. Perfect bank shot off Cory Cross right through Joseph's five hole.

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Randy McKay against Boston in the '95 playoffs. Strips the defenseman, slams the puck home then does his own version of the Lambeau leap against the sideboards.

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
I can't believe nobody mentioned Bill Barilko's 1951 Stanley Cup winning goal against Montreal. That fact that he died four months later makes it even more legendary.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Bobby Clarke -- Game 2 -- 1974 Stanley Cup Finals -- in Boston Garden where the Flyers had just one prior win ever. Gene Hart's call is frenetic.

Others of note in Flyers history: Keith Primeau in 5 OTs at Pittsburgh (2000) and Jeremy Roenick's series clincher at Toronto (2004).

Also Gary Dornhoefer Game 5 vs. Minnesota (1973) that was commemorated into a statue outside the Spectrum (it eventually led to the Flyers first ever PO series win)

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
norrisnick said:
Yzerman 2OT vs the Blues in '96.

Wicked, wicked shot.

Homer shout-out to Doug Gilmour's reverse wrap-around goal on Cujo in 1993. That was a thing of beauty.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Darius Kasparaitis OT series winner against Dominik Hasek & the Sabres 2001 (?).

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
Trottier said:
Hands down the greatest hockey photo ever, IMO. Possibly in all of sports.

(And so symbolic, for at that time, #4 was Superman.)

I couldn't agree more. As a Bruins fan, I have to say that Brad Park's series-clinching OT goal against Buffalo was pretty thrilling, too. On the other hand, Petr Klima's infamous 3OT goal in Game 1 on the 1990 Stanley Cup finals was pretty painful. It also seemed to take all the wind out of the Bruins' sails, because they never really seemed to be in the series after the fact.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
blamebettman said:
Bure's offsides winner in 1994, game 7 against Vernon

Rafalski had a good OT winner against the leafs a few years ago. Perfect bank shot off Cory Cross right through Joseph's five hole.

I've never heard anyone complain about Bure's goal being offside before. It was a dead on pass by Brown right on his stick clearly legit.

Bobby Clarke's goal in the finals in '74 in Game 2 is often overlooked. Boston had a 1-0 series lead at that time and had a lead late in Game 2 before Moose Dupont tied it up with 30 secs to go. Clarke then completed his hat trick to end the game. The only question I have was: Where was the Boston defense on that goal? (and what a save by Gilbert on the first Clarke shot before the rebound)

Rene Robert's OT "fog" goal in the '75 Cup finals vs. Philly. You can tell Parent couldnt see that one at all.

I dont know if I have ever been more excited than to see Lecavalier's goal in the '04 World Cup vs. the Czechs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad