Great! Injury!

2x4*

While strength training, I appear to have strained or pulled a muscle in my left arm. I was planning to go to a skate and shoot today, but that wasn't going to happen since I can't move my arm. My arm hurts around the elbow area, only on the inside. It hurts when I straighten out my arm, but not when I have it bent, even a little bit. Anyway, if anyone knows a good way to help it heal faster that would be great! I am hoping for this to be ok by friday, so I can atleast get 1 practice in before playing on sunday :)

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Sounds sorta like an elbow strain. Do the standard hot/cold treatments on it...but don't work it too much cause might cause problems. I had an issue like this when I played baseball and especially if your a pitcher, you could be seeing Tommy John surgery if you really mess it up. Same goes with 'tennis elbow'.

2x4*

Its not my elbow, its on the otherside of my arm my "elbow pit" idk what the hell you call that area.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Well...if it makes you feel any better, I took a slash on the wrist about a month-month and a half ago, went for xrays (which came back negative) and now still can't use my hand.

They think that there is a break, but it was hidden because of the swelling of everything.

So I can't play tier 1 (because of the injury). :cry:

2x4*

I found some good info for mild strains. For the 1st 48-72 hours ice it for about 10 minutes once every 2-3 hours (while you are awake), then wrap in between and rest it. After about 72 hours start to use it a little bit to work it back to normal.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I'm afraid you're gonna have to amputate.
:biglaugh:

a more detailed explanation of the exact situation and pain felt would be helpful. Were you bringing a curl down rapidly and feel a stretch and pain on trying to bring the curl back up? Could indicate a slight dislocation that allowed a tendon to get caught in between when the joint closed?

When you gently straighten the arm and touch the area that hurts is it in the forearm, bicep or right at the joint and is there any swelling? When pressing with a finger tip and an ability to isolate it to the Biceps Tendon an anti inflammatory such as ibuprofen, ketoprofen are helpful. Not all acute injuries demostrate acute pain to go along with. No harm in treating it as a mild injury but you will want to get it seen by a profesional.

General first aid:

Apply ice immediately to reduce swelling. Wrap the ice in cloth -- avoid using ice directly on the skin. Apply ice for 10 to 15 minutes every 1 hour for the first day. Then, every 3 to 4 hours.

Use ice for the first 3 days. After that, either heat or ice may be helpful.

Rest the pulled muscle for at least a day. If possible, keep the pulled muscle elevated above the level of the heart.

Avoid using a strained muscle while it is still painful. When the pain subsides, start activity slowly and in moderation

Last edited:

2x4*

:biglaugh:

When you gently straighten the arm and touch the area that hurts is it in hte forearm, bicep or right at the joint and is there any swelling?

Right where it bends and when I straighten it I get pain that wraps around from the inside of where the arm bends to over the top towards my elbow and above it.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
swelling? and when you say pain that wraps around...starting at center of bend and moving outward or inward. Outward would be away from your body when looking down at the elbow

2x4*

It appears to be mild Inflammation of the biceps tendon at the elbow. :handclap:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
that or just a mild muscle strain/tear. May not be tendon related at all. Those would be more worst case. hope it feels better in a day or two. while your strength training remember to bring your dietary proteins up a bit. Provides the needed building blocks to repair and strengthen muscles. Tuna packed in water is a good source that wont bind a person up like some of the protein shakes and such can.

Last edited:

2x4*

that or just a mild muscle strain/tear. May not be tendon related at all. Those would be more worst case. hope it feels better in a day or two. while your strength training remember to bring your dietary proteins up a bit. Provides the needed building blocks to repair and strengthen muscles. Tuna packed in water is a good source that wont bind a person up like some of the protein shakes and such can.

steak and eggs work well? I love that meal.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
MikeD, you're like the Dr. House of The Rink. Seriously. :clap:

Daniel48Briere, you might also consider your arm in a sling. The less you use it the easier it will be for the muscle tear (assuming that's what it is) to heal. The sling is a good reminder not to reach with your left for the pencil rolling off your desk. ;)

Let the pain be the judge, but I don't think it's a great idea to practice on Friday. You could easily worsen the condition and be no good for your game Sunday.

2x4*

Yea I listed myself questionable :p: for friday.

Yes MikeD is a great resource to have :p:

And I use pens not pencils!!

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
The steak works but you get a bigger bang for your buck out of Fish. Tuna is easy and cheap. A Tuna sub will give you the carbs from the bread and boost protein content. QUick and easy to add to your day AND you can still have that steak for dinner.

Empty gives a good piece of advice. The sling also gets a bit of attention from the ladies...

2x4*

Well I went to a skate and shoot today, with my bicep wrapped and I felt no pain at all. Afterwards my arm was a tiny bit more tender than before when I started, but thats not saying much because It really wasnt hurting. I will be 100% for sunday!

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
glad to hear it.

Also, remember to cycle you weight routines so that you rotate between upper and lower body. This way the worked areas get a day or two of rest to rebuild. Strength is gained when those micro tears are given a chance to rebuild. Be very careful to not over train.

Your body will tell you when your reaching that fine line. Continuous soreness, fatigue, lethargy, Depression, decreased performance.....all symptoms of over training. Depression can also be the result of insufficient Carb intake for your needs, particularly in women athletes. One method to avoid is to variation between strength, aerobic, anaerobic and plyometrics. While being sure to keep at least one day off a week, rotate your regimin.

nutrition downloads: http://www.hawksice.com/tending/nutrition/nutrition1.jpg

when the image loads right click over it and select "save image as" change the "1" in hte web address to a "2", click go and repeat. Repeat that up to number 8 for the full article. Intended for goalie specific but it applies.

two year round physical training program downloads: Out player specific

http://www.hawksice.com/tending/fitness16_17yrs.zip
http://www.hawksice.com/tending/pro_collegiate_program.zip

I believe these are PDF versions. Cant recall wether it was PDF or multi jpg images.

Just tossing the info out there to help you, with luck, prevent the lost day injuries.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad