Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
1987-0226-Ray-Bourque-06033002.jpg
Why...?

Because 80s...?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
a little bit of "before they were in the NHL" with my hometown Providence Reds...

... oh ya, that one of my favorite all time minor-pro teams, hugely successful & popular back in the day, the Reds still to this day with an active Alumni in the area, annual summer barbecues, get togethers for former player, Coaches, media personnel & fans alike. A very special franchise every bit as important to the community & to the game as were & are the 06 NHL teams. More so on a number of levels. Big fish in smaller ponds. A source of pride. Golden memories. A few other spots as well, Hershey, Rochester.... but theres something "extra", something very special about the Reds & their home, the old Rhode Island Auditorium which opened in 1926... believe it held about 5300 for hockey. Everything a minor pro arena should be.

Reactions: SealsFan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
... oh ya, that one of my favorite all time minor-pro teams, hugely successful & popular back in the day, the Reds still to this day with an active Alumni in the area, annual summer barbecues, get togethers for former player, Coaches, media personnel & fans alike. A very special franchise every bit as important to the community & to the game as were & are the 06 NHL teams. More so on a number of levels. Big fish in smaller ponds. A source of pride. Golden memories. A few other spots as well, Hershey, Rochester.... but theres something "extra", something very special about the Reds & their home, the old Rhode Island Auditorium which opened in 1926... believe it held about 5300 for hockey. Everything a minor pro arena should be.

yup, they were a beloved franchise and extremely successful...winning 3 Fontaine Cups + 4 Calder Cups for 7 combined titles, 9 regular season titles and 13 division titles.

The RI Auditorium was definitely a classic old school barn...down to the smoke in the rafters, Bulova clock, and chicken wire instead of glass.

More so it shows how much of a hockey crazy area RI is, and always has been. It's really an unknown gem in that respect.

Another history nugget, the famous Kraut Line was born on the Reds...Schmidt, Dumart and Bauer. In fact, the season after they were called up, a little prospect named Frank Brimsek was in net for the Reds.

the 1936-37 team...Bauer is first row far right, Dumart is back row 2nd from left, and Schmidt is back row 5th from left

1936-37-Midseason_Large.jpg

and the 1937-38 team, with Brimsek 3rd from the left, bottom row

1937-38_Large.jpg

here's the site for the Reds Historical Society: Rhode Island Reds Heritage Society Home

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
yup, they were a beloved franchise and extremely successful...winning 3 Fontaine Cups + 4 Calder Cups for 7 combined titles, 9 regular season titles and 13 division titles.

The RI Auditorium was definitely a classic old school barn...down to the smoke in the rafters, Bulova clock, and chicken wire instead of glass.

More so it shows how much of a hockey crazy area RI is, and always has been. It's really an unknown gem in that respect.

Another history nugget, the famous Kraut Line was born on the Reds...Schmidt, Dumart and Bauer. In fact, the season after they were called up, a little prospect named Frank Brimsek was in net for the Reds.

the 1936-37 team...Bauer is first row far right, Dumart is back row 2nd from left, and Schmidt is back row 5th from left

1936-37-Midseason_Large.jpg

and the 1937-38 team, with Brimsek 3rd from the left, bottom row

1937-38_Large.jpg

here's the site for the Reds Historical Society: Rhode Island Reds Heritage Society Home

Adelard Arena in Woonsocket was probably the last vestige of chain-link fences.

Mt. St. Charles removes rink's iconic chain-link fence

P2200022.JPG

Reactions: GB and Killion

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Charlestown, Mass., 1971. Who didn't have one of those plastic sticks?

group-of-children-play-street-hockey-outside-of-homes-on-medford-in-picture-id869471262

Yeah, they were a must for street hockey/roller hockey as the wooden stick blades just got chewed up by the concrete/asphalt. A real bad injury happened with one in one of our games; kid took a slapper and the blade flew off and sliced another kid's upper eyelid. There were two holes on the shaft area so you could secure the plastic blade onto the wooden shaft with screws but he probably neglected to do that...

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
... ya, very cool.... I think I must have lived in Rhode Island... New England in a past life.... something about the area that I love... whenever Ive been through it. all seemed strangely familiar..... bit of Grattoony the Loony in me I suppose.... goalies huh? :rolleyes:

Yes... go on....o_O:D

Reactions: Killion

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
........ ever tried Narragansett Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout?
Combines the 2 most precious things in life SF; caffeine & alcohol. :rolly:
...see?.... thats what I'm talkin. smallest state in the union, brightest people. :cheers:

one thing we love in RI is our coffee...we put that s**t in everything.

Coffee milk
Coffee ice cream
Coffee beer

nothing says summer like steamers, clam cakes, some chowder and a Gansett tallboy

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
one thing we love in RI is our coffee...we put that s**t in everything.

Coffee milk
Coffee ice cream
Coffee beer

nothing says summer like steamers, clam cakes, some chowder and a Gansett tallboy

Funny, I'm heading up to Narragansett today for the holiday weekend.

Maybe a Coffee cabinet is in order.

No Gansett tallboys, though. Not my cup of beer. I'll get something good at Mews Tavern, thank you.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Funny, I'm heading up to Narragansett today for the holiday weekend.

Maybe a Coffee cabinet is in order.

No Gansett tallboys, though. Not my cup of beer. I'll get something good at Mews Tavern, thank you.

Mews ya say? Very cool place. I want that mahogany canoe they have resting up in the beams. :P

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
How did I ever miss this moment?

Can someone clue me in to the context? Pregame practice? During an NHL game?

98BIYns.gif

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'm sure that most have seen the picture of ripped and shirtless Howe on a fishing boat, but here is a picture I never saw before today of an older Howe once again fishing:

vS26yuJ.jpg

Would love to see a larger version. His arms are ridiculous. Couldn't hold up today though.
He never lifted a weight in his life. In those days, you were naturally strong or you weren't. In fact, Howe said that he only started to jog in the off-season just before coming out of retirement to join his sons in the WHA. He played in the NHL (all 80 games) at age 52. He was, without a doubt, the most genetically amazing athlete of all time.

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->