Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Incidentally, I'm still not seeing about 25% of the photos, all I see is

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Lots to comment on here... we see a bespectacled player, predating Al Arbour? What is the goalie wearing on his head? A catcher's mask over a towel?! And look at the position of his legs!!!! Either he just got badly faked out or he's broken that leg!!! How the heck....?

.... :laugh: no idea what he's got on his head... a Bandanna?.... way ahead of his time, Kelly Hrudey....maybe some kinda Steam Punk cage combo?.... strange.... also.... why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?... why bother?

Last edited:
Reactions: SealsFan

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Lots to comment on here... we see a bespectacled player, predating Al Arbour? What is the goalie wearing on his head? A catcher's mask over a towel?! And look at the position of his legs!!!! Either he just got badly faked out or he's broken that leg!!! How the heck....?

Safe to say that's some pretty awful D zone coverage there too with those two guys wide open there on the right side of the cage. "Al Arbour" looks pretty flat footed there as well and doesn't look too ready to nab a loose puck. The guy off to his right looks like he just realized he's way out of position :laugh:

Reactions: SealsFan

Double

Feb 14, 2008
Cu2IWzTXEAA3c8O.jpg

1970/71 – First year Vancouver players being drilled by a figure skater (Judy Williams?) – Left to Right: Wayne Maki (# 11) – Garth Rizzuto (# 22) – Ray Cullen (# 10 - A) – Ed Hatoum (# 9) and Rosaire Paiement (# 15)

Awesome photo, but kinda confusing at the same time. Why were the Nucks wearing their white unis for a pic taken at Met Center in Bloomington?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I get that, but my understanding is that home teams were expected to wear white during the time this pic was taken.

I believe your right (1970/71 - 2002/03 whites at home, dark on the road, 03-present, reversed) however, the year is accurate as in 70/71 the Canucks featured that "V" on the sleeves atop the striping on the elbow, only year they did so.... entirely possible they traveled with both sets of jerseys & used the home whites as practice jerseys or maybe an emergency, dark jerseys lost, missing in transit... perhaps on one of their 3 away games playing Minnesota that season they had an arrangement whereby Minny played in their dark jerseys, Canucks in their whites? Not something for which records are kept but that too a possible explanation.... No idea who the figure skater is.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I believe your right (1970/71 - 2002/03 whites at home, dark on the road, 03-present, reversed) however, the year is accurate as in 70/71 the Canucks featured that "V" on the sleeves atop the striping on the elbow, only year they did so.... entirely possible they traveled with both sets of jerseys & used the home whites as practice jerseys or maybe an emergency, dark jerseys lost, missing in transit... perhaps on one of their 3 away games playing Minnesota that season they had an arrangement whereby Minny played in their dark jerseys, Canucks in their whites? Not something for which records are kept but that too a possible explanation.... No idea who the figure skater is.

This picture is bugging me. Very strange. I have my doubts that this took place at a pre-game practice because it seems like everyone in the picture more uniformed that you would expect for a pre-game skate. Is the figure skater Laura Stamm perhaps? She started teaching power skating about that time, but in the east coast I think.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This picture is bugging me. Very strange. I have my doubts that this took place at a pre-game practice because it seems like everyone in the picture more uniformed that you would expect for a pre-game skate. Is the figure skater Laura Stamm perhaps? She started teaching power skating about that time, but in the east coast I think.

.... :laugh: ya, its "bugging" me too. Mystery..... And that thought crossed my mind as well. What would Laura Stamm be doing in Minnesota? Shes based on Long Island I believe, and didnt start teaching Power Skating until 1973 giving private lesson to Bob Nystrom at the request of Bill Torrey.... However, that does look like her in the picture. So that too a "mystery"....

I'm gonna hypothesize here & go with the North Stars requesting the Canucks where their whites as they brand new to the League, made 3 visits that year, one of which they wore whites as Minnesota wanted to wear their greens, dark uni's, hopefully spurring jersey sales for both clubs. As for who that figure skater is.... take a look here at www.laurastamm.ca & go to the menu bar, hit About & then History, theres a photo of her from what looks like the early or mid 70's. You tell me if you think its her.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
.... :laugh: ya, its "bugging" me too. Mystery..... And that thought crossed my mind as well. What would Laura Stamm be doing in Minnesota? Shes based on Long Island I believe, and didnt start teaching Power Skating until 1973 giving private lesson to Bob Nystrom at the request of Bill Torrey.... However, that does look like her in the picture. So that too a "mystery"....

I'm gonna hypothesize here & go with the North Stars requesting the Canucks where their whites as they brand new to the League, made 3 visits that year, one of which they wore whites as Minnesota wanted to wear their greens, dark uni's, hopefully spurring jersey sales for both clubs. As for who that figure skater is.... take a look here at www.laurastamm.ca & go to the menu bar, hit About & then History, theres a photo of her from what looks like the early or mid 70's. You tell me if you think its her.

I did a quick research. Apparently Vancouver Canucks first owner, a certain Thomas Scallen [1925-2015] was originally a Minnesota businessman. He was the first owner of the Vancouver Canucks (1970-74). Scallen was also the president of International Broadcasting Corporation, which owned the Ice Capades and Harlem Globetrotters. He owned Ice Follies, Ice Capades and Holiday on Ice (not at the same time).
That (partially) explains the picture, even though I have no clue who the figure skater is.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I did a quick research. Apparently Vancouver Canucks first owner, a certain Thomas Scallen [1925-2015] was originally a Minnesota businessman. He was the first owner of the Vancouver Canucks (1970-74). Scallen was also the president of International Broadcasting Corporation, which owned the Ice Capades and Harlem Globetrotters. He owned Ice Follies, Ice Capades and Holiday on Ice (not at the same time).
That (partially) explains the picture, even though I have no clue who the figure skater is.

Ah yes, of course. So thats part of the mystery solved. Making progress. Good work Detective. :thumbu:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Ha!... A guy named Raymond Leclerc founded Mylec Corp late 60's early 70's, introducing the orange rubber road hockey ball along with the plastic blades (endorsed by Phil Esposito) and shin pads etc. Goalie masks & pads & so on. Formal rules & leagues followed in the latter half of the 70's in various locales in both the US & Canada. Mylec brand still available I believe.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
110970.jpg

January 3, 1970 - some members of the Pittsburgh Penguins wearing earmuffs issued by coach Red Kelly to drown out the noise from the rowdy crowd inside the St. Louis Arena. Despite the earmuffs, the Penguins lost 6-0 to the Blues. Seated on the bench are Keith McCreary (# 10), Bryan Hextall (# 7), Ken Schinkel (# 12), Glen Sather (# 16), Ron Schock (# 17), Tracy Pratt (# 6) and Duane Rupp (# 2). In back appears to be goalie Al Smith.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
^^^ Ha!... A guy named Raymond Leclerc founded Mylec Corp late 60's early 70's, introducing the orange rubber road hockey ball along with the plastic blades (endorsed by Phil Esposito) and shin pads etc. Goalie masks & pads & so on. Formal rules & leagues followed in the latter half of the 70's in various locales in both the US & Canada. Mylec brand still available I believe.

Yes, now-a-days Mylec brand is used for floor hockey mostly.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

I recall the kid who wore these always endured the most abuse.

normal.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->