Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2014/15 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
"The kicker to that - of the Griffins 42 postseason goals, none has come from a defenseman."

Ugh.

Its difficult to imagine we get anything more than a #4 dman from this group.

Maybe this is one knock on Blashill? Obviously developing a dman has been an issue within this organization for longer than he has been around, but none of these kids were able to add much (if anything) to their game under his leadership.

This is a real problem within the organization.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Its difficult to imagine we get anything more than a #4 dman from this group.

Maybe this is one knock on Blashill? Obviously developing a dman has been an issue within this organization for longer than he has been around, but none of these kids were able to add much (if anything) to their game under his leadership.

This is a real problem within the organization.

Don't look at the goals, None of our dmen score anymore, they just pass.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Don't look at the goals, None of our dmen score anymore, they just pass.

Well Obviously I am not drawn conclusions based simply on goals, but with each passing month it becomes more and more clear that none of these guys will be more than a second pairing.

Hell, in 83 man-games they have COMBINED for just 18 assists. The issue here goes beyond just goals.

I spoke quite highly of Carlo in the draft thread, but I think its time we take a flyer on a highly offensive dman, even if he has issue. Think Anthony DeAngelo types.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Well Obviously I am not drawn conclusions based simply on goals, but with each passing month it becomes more and more clear that none of these guys will be more than a second pairing.

Hell, in 83 man-games they have COMBINED for just 18 assists. The issue here goes beyond just goals.

I spoke quite highly of Carlo in the draft thread, but I think its time we take a flyer on a highly offensive dman, even if he has issue. Think Anthony DeAngelo types.

I don't know why, They arent stunning in the AHL, But look better in the NHL

I mean, Ouellet got 2 goals in the NHL, Phanuef got 3 and Toronto had good streches of being an actual good team. So it's not like Ouellets goals were simply because he was on a better team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know why, They arent stunning in the AHL, But look better in the NHL

I mean, Ouellet got 2 goals in the NHL, Phanuef got 3 and Toronto had good streches of being an actual good team. So it's not like Ouellets goals were simply because he was on a better team.

Can't make them into something they're not, even on a lower level. Ouellet and Marchenko are steady guys, but doing slick rushes and blueline dangles isn't in their repertoire. Their type of player looks better, or rather is more appreciated in the NHL(because people always expect players to score plenty in the AHL to get NHL promotion).

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Really? He's been pretty much invisible to me.
He's been skating really well. Moving his feet. Breaking the zone with the puck, all that sort of thing. He's still too passive, though. He gives the puck to his linemates too often. I think he usually wants them to give it right back, but that rarely happens. It sort of sounds like an excuse, but Mantha has spent the majority of his AHL time with players who aren't, ahem, the most avid passers. and I think you can see the difference it makes, because every time Mantha gets demoted to the 4th line, he's actually better. He's the go-to guy on that line, and he looks really good. and then they bring him back with Athanasiou, and he never sees the puck, and we wonder what's wrong with him. UNTIL THE NEXT TIME!

But he's still not getting much icetime, so it's no big surprise that he's invisible. After all, you can't see him on the ice! :P

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
He's been skating really well. Moving his feet. Breaking the zone with the puck, all that sort of thing. He's still too passive, though. He gives the puck to his linemates too often. I think he usually wants them to give it right back, but that rarely happens. It sort of sounds like an excuse, but Mantha has spent the majority of his AHL time with players who aren't, ahem, the most avid passers. and I think you can see the difference it makes, because every time Mantha gets demoted to the 4th line, he's actually better. He's the go-to guy on that line, and he looks really good. and then they bring him back with Athanasiou, and he never sees the puck, and we wonder what's wrong with him. UNTIL THE NEXT TIME!

But he's still not getting much icetime, so it's no big surprise that he's invisible. After all, you can't see him on the ice! :P

Kind of sounds a bit like Tatar at times. He looked great with Sheahan & Jurco because they always deferred to him. He drove the possession play. In contrast when he gets put with Nyquist, I never find that he looks as good because he is used to carrying the puck. Same was true initially when he was paired with Dats. He learned to defer, but still hasn't quite found that line where he can still create things (Ie the lack of water buggness that many found missing) but also use his teammates.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Kind of sounds a bit like Tatar at times. He looked great with Sheahan & Jurco because they always deferred to him. He drove the possession play. In contrast when he gets put with Nyquist, I never find that he looks as good because he is used to carrying the puck. Same was true initially when he was paired with Dats. He learned to defer, but still hasn't quite found that line where he can still create things (Ie the lack of water buggness that many found missing) but also use his teammates.

I think Tatar tries to hard

Sheahan tries to defend rather then attack, So when Tatar keeps tyring to split the D and failing hes thinking "Umm now what" Jurco is probably trying to Defend rather then attack as well Under Babcock. I don't remember who he paired with during the reg season

Tatar and Nyquist is just a horrible line together, Both keep trying to split the D, and when one scores, The other one doesnt, So it would be pretty easy to shut down and score on since both give it away at bad times and can't take it away like Datsyuk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Toledo should change their name to Warriors. That's what they are after three 7-game series and coming back from 0-3. Even though they lost

This Toledo season has been absolutely Superb 1-season work from coach Derek Lalonde to turn forner .340 team (2nd last) to .743 team (2nd best) in 28-team league. And win two playoff-series and almost reach the Championship finals at first run. he has to be the coach of the year in this league.

I believe it won't be a big surprice, if Lalonde takes Griffins head coach duties when Blashill goes to Detroit.

sehouse

Dec 12, 2013
A2 and Sanford, ME
With Manchester having swept Hartford, I am really hoping the Griffins can take down Utica. I want to get a chance to see them live, for the first time since moving back to Maine. Manchester is pretty close to me, so I could make it to any potential games.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Manchester Has Colin Miller as a major piece on their blue line, Probably their top dman. I'm pretty sure he was Sproul's running mate in the Sault. He has really differentiated himself as a top AHL dman. Being RH'd and scoring 19 goals it would appear we drafted the wrong player :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->