Not open for further replies.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Griffins 1 at Iowa Wild 2 - Status: Final
Sunday, December 10, 2017 - Wells Fargo Arena

Grand Rapids 0 1 0 - 1
Iowa 1 1 0 - 2

1st Period-1, Iowa, Kunin 3 (Ferraro, Cannone), 10:56 (PP). Penalties-Lashoff Gr (slashing), 0:32; Tangradi Gr (hooking), 10:13.

2nd Period-2, Iowa, Mayhew 5 (Seeler, Anas), 10:07. 3, Grand Rapids, Nastasiuk 1 (Esposito, Hronek), 12:45. Penalties-Borkowski Gr (high-sticking), 2:10; Ferraro Ia (hooking), 2:42; Grant Ia (misconduct), 10:36.

3rd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Anas Ia (hooking), 4:59; Turgeon Gr (tripping), 12:11.

Shots on Goal-Grand Rapids 7-21-13-41. Iowa 10-15-5-30.
Power Play Opportunities-Grand Rapids 0 / 2; Iowa 1 / 4.
Goalies-Grand Rapids, Coreau 6-7-1 (30 shots-28 saves). Iowa, Michalek 6-1-2 (41 shots-40 saves).
A-4,119
Referees-Evgenii Romasko (39), Andrew Howard (50).
Linesmen-Nathan Stanton (36), Kyle Larson (15).

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That was just a brutal game to watch. The ice hogs were skating circles around us all night (minus part of the 3rd). Not a lot of speed in the system. Also idk what's up with Svech but he is invisible out there almost every single night. You'd really like your first round forward to be able to create some opportunities but maybe without the depth of last year's team it's coming out that he's more of a complimentary guy.

Read so many positive things about him, but man I thought he was invisible in the playoffs last year.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Anyone who has caught the last few games mind telling me if Svech is at least playing hard? Dude had 46 points his last 51 games last year, seeing this drop back isn’t just concerning, it’s flat out odd
IMHO, he has been playing hard - checking the bigger players. He was looking really good, speedy up & down the ice, getting to open areas - then at the very end of a game, he was hit in the chest into the boards. Seems he is just now getting over it - maybe he's been hurt more than we know

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
IMHO, he has been playing hard - checking the bigger players. He was looking really good, speedy up & down the ice, getting to open areas - then at the very end of a game, he was hit in the chest into the boards. Seems he is just now getting over it - maybe he's been hurt more than we know

that's good to hear. Maybe he'll be able to get it going in the next few games, i really want him to become a good player for us. Even if the "neck injury" he had healed up, maybe realizing how vulnerable you are through an injury in such a sensitive area makes you play more tentative.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Biggest challenge facing slumping Evgeny Svechnikov may be himself

Updated 3:25 PM; Posted 3:22 PM
Evgeny Svechnikov digs for the puck against Rockford last week.(Mike Clark | MLive.com)
0shares
By Peter J. Wallner
[email protected]
GRAND RAPIDS - The biggest battle that top Detroit Red Wings prospect Evgeny Svechnikov is facing in a prolonged slump may be against Evgeny Svechnikov.
The Grand Rapids Griffins second-year pro has not scored since Nov. 8, a span of 12 games, and his five points (2-3-5) in 20 games is lowest among forwards.
Not the way the team's top pick in 2015 was expected to start out.
And, most disappointed by the numbers may be Svechnikov.
"I never struggled like this and it's a challenge for me this year," he said after Tuesday's practice. "I think it's more tough mentally because I used to score goals and now I'm not.
"But, I'm still good. I come into the rink every day with the same positive attitude. Honestly, I'm going to tell you I never expected it. But, I don't give up. I keep pushing forward. That's all I can do and forget about the past."
It is a hardship Svechnikov has taken upon himself before. He is aware of his place as the Red Wings' top pick in 2015 (No. 19 overall), said coach Todd Nelson, who thinks Svechnikov places undue pressure on himself.
"His problem is he's his own worst critic," Nelson said. "Sometimes, he puts a lot of pressure on himself and when that happens, things go in a bad way.

"I just have to read off him to see how he's feeling and give him confidence because, right now, nobody likes what we're going through," the coach said. "In his case, he squeezes his stick tighter every game he plays.
"Bottom line is go out and have fun, play the system well and work hard."
By his own admission, Svechnikov said he "tries to do too much sometimes right now.
"I think it all comes down to confidence and, right now, I don't have it," he said. "You can say it, but you just have to find it. I just have to be more on the puck and take it to the net and get a few more shots."
The 21-year-old's struggles come after his preseason stock was high amid hopes he could land an early call-up to the Red Wings.
Last year, Svechnikov had 20 goals and 51 points - third on the team - and got his first dose of the NHL with two games with the Red Wings. He also played well in the AHL postseason with five goals and 12 points as the Griffins won the Calder Cup.
But he missed the final two preseason games with the Red Wings and the first five games of the Griffins season with a neck injury and hasn't gotten on track so far.
"Health is good, no problems," Svechnikov said. "There's so much stuff we can talk about, but the bottom line is I don't produce much right now. I'm still pushing myself and staying positive."
It doesn't help the Griffins (9-13-0-3) have lost eight of nine heading into Wednesday's home game against Iowa. But Nelson said he is not concerned.

"Sometimes it's the game within the game," he said. "It's not all roses. Sometimes, when you're down it can help you in the future and Geno certainly has a bright future."
Svechnikov can also draw confidence from the past. Last season, he also had a slow start. In fact, after 20 games Svecnhnikov had the same stats as this season - two goals and five assists. Over his next 20 games, he busted loose for 10 goals and six assists.

Reactions: Lampedampe

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Man what's up with the griffins, still hungover maybe?

No defense, forwards getting injured, players not playing together as a unit right now. Just as bad as watching the Red Wings right now. Have 5 guys from Toledo in our lineup at the moment. Helps that the Wings sent Bertuzzi back earlier today. Not sure on the status of Lorito, Puempel, and Elson at the moment. Will see tomorrow (depending if I can get out of my street with the next clipper system moving in tomorrow morning) how they do against the Wild if they step it up their game.

Russo & Hicketts are struggling this season on D. Guys are leaving their goaltenders out to dry by letting the other team's forwards park themselves in front of our net and burying the rebound in the back of our net. PP has been inconsistent throughout the season. PK has been doing well for most of the season.

Forwards can not hit the net or the other teams is forcing us to the outside to where the majority of our shots on goal has been coming from. And yes, the Griffins are still high in the clouds from last season's playoff run and championship.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
No defense, forwards getting injured, players not playing together as a unit right now. Just as bad as watching the Red Wings right now. Have 5 guys from Toledo in our lineup at the moment. Helps that the Wings sent Bertuzzi back earlier today. Not sure on the status of Lorito, Puempel, and Elson at the moment. Will see tomorrow (depending if I can get out of my street with the next clipper system moving in tomorrow morning) how they do against the Wild if they step it up their game.

Russo & Hicketts are struggling this season on D. Guys are leaving their goaltenders out to dry by letting the other team's forwards park themselves in front of our net and burying the rebound in the back of our net. PP has been inconsistent throughout the season. PK has been doing well for most of the season.

Forwards can not hit the net or the other teams is forcing us to the outside to where the majority of our shots on goal has been coming from. And yes, the Griffins are still high in the clouds from last season's playoff run and championship.

People who think Hicketts is the answer in Detroit underestimate how hard it is to be 5'8 and win physical battles at the NHL level. A guy like Rafalski needed to get strong and had elite skating ability to survive at 5'10.
A guy like Krug has top notch hockey offensive IQ but still has issues because he's a defensive liability.

Reactions: Winger98

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Honestly, maybe a call up for Svech might be a good thing. Pull him up and slot him with Z or the kids and see if he can pot a couple. Get some of that I can play in the big leagues confidence. It might go along way, longer he stays down the more it will wear on him.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Griffins come from 3-0 deficit to comeback to beat the Wild in shootout to snap long losing streak.

2 years ago on this same date, Griffins came from 3-0 down in Iowa to beat the Wild 4-3 in OT as history repeats itself once again. Ben Street scored 2 goals and got the only shootout goal (Griffins 1-11 in shootout attempts this season) as the shorthanded Griffins gets two points tonight. With Lorito, Puempel (both injured), & Elson (illness), Griffins scraped by the Wild to win their first home game in over a month. I was about 800-1000 who actually attended this game as a clipper storm blanketed the region throughout the day and night.

Iowa Wild 3 at Grand Rapids Griffins 4 (SO) - Status: Final SO
Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - Van Andel Arena

Iowa 2 1 0 0 - 3
Grand Rapids 0 2 1 0 - 4

1st Period-1, Iowa, Anas 5 (Caito, Kloos), 4:58. 2, Iowa, Mayhew 6 (Kloos), 14:09. Penalties-Svechnikov Gr (elbowing), 18:07.

2nd Period-3, Iowa, Kloos 7 (Rau, Anas), 2:17 (PP). 4, Grand Rapids, Lashoff 2 (Tangradi, Ford), 7:33. 5, Grand Rapids, Street 2 (Bertuzzi), 16:35. Penalties-Tangradi Gr (high-sticking), 1:13.

3rd Period-6, Grand Rapids, Street 3 (Ford, Saarijarvi), 7:15 (PP). Penalties-Grant Ia (closing hand on puck), 5:22; Seeler Ia (cross-checking), 6:56; Russo Gr (high-sticking), 8:47; Svechnikov Gr (high-sticking), 15:34; Kunin Ia (cross-checking), 16:47.

OT Period- No Scoring.Penalties-No Penalties

Shootout - Iowa 0 (Anas NG, Malone NG, Kloos NG), Grand Rapids 1 (Lashoff NG, Street G).
Shots on Goal-Iowa 9-8-11-0-0-28. Grand Rapids 12-10-15-6-1-44.
Power Play Opportunities-Iowa 1 / 4; Grand Rapids 1 / 3.
Goalies-Iowa, Svedberg 6-7-3 (43 shots-40 saves). Grand Rapids, Coreau 7-7-1 (28 shots-25 saves).
A-4,625
Referees-Stephen Thomson (15), Tim Mayer (19).
Linesmen-Jake Davis (23), John Tallieu (94).

Reactions: Lampedampe

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Colin Campbell Gordie Howe hat trick not enough as Wolves dominate third to beat Griffins. Griffins tie game with seconds to go in 2nd and when Eric Tangradi gets hit in the face with the puck behind the Wolves net early in the third, momentum changed at that point as the Wolves took over with some questionable calls by the officials to help beat the Griffins at home. Milwaukee comes in to town tomorrow night.

Chicago Wolves 6 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 - Status: Final
Friday, December 15, 2017 - Van Andel Arena

Chicago 1 2 3 - 6
Grand Rapids 0 3 0 - 3

1st Period-1, Chicago, Hyka 4 (Garrison), 15:37. Penalties-Ford Gr (slashing), 0:18; Casto Chi (holding the stick), 4:11; Reinhart Chi (slashing), 12:28.

2nd Period-2, Grand Rapids, Ford 8 (Campbell), 1:30. 3, Grand Rapids, Campbell 5 (Russo, Ford), 17:47. 4, Chicago, Garrison 3 (Bennett, Hyka), 18:26. 5, Chicago, Sterling 5 (Bennett, Hyka), 19:28 (PP). 6, Grand Rapids, Ford 9 (Saarijarvi, Street), 19:55 (PP). Penalties-Reinhart Chi (slashing), 6:25; Reinhart Chi (high-sticking), 12:55; Campbell Gr (roughing), 12:55; Renouf Gr (interference), 18:56; Thompson Chi (tripping), 19:51.

3rd Period-7, Chicago, Sterling 6 (Garrison, Tynan), 9:30. 8, Chicago, Lindberg 2 (Wong, Vaughan), 13:05. 9, Chicago, Hyka 5 (Bennett, Pirri), 17:03 (PP). Penalties-Hicketts Gr (slashing), 5:19; Ford Gr (hooking), 6:49; Hicketts Gr (elbowing), 7:27; Lindbohm Chi (fighting), 15:40; Megan Chi (fighting, game misconduct - secondary altercation), 15:40; Campbell Gr (fighting, game misconduct - secondary altercation), 15:40; McIlrath Gr (fighting), 15:40; Bertuzzi Gr (cross-checking), 16:22.

Shots on Goal-Chicago 5-14-6-25. Grand Rapids 11-14-7-32.
Power Play Opportunities-Chicago 2 / 6; Grand Rapids 1 / 4.
Goalies-Chicago, Lagace 4-2-0 (32 shots-29 saves). Grand Rapids, Coreau 7-8-1 (25 shots-19 saves).
A-6,191
Referees-Shaun Davis (31), Guillaume Labonte (35).
Linesmen-Justin Cornell (14), Pat Richardson (67).

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Enjoyed the Griffins last night despite the loss. Some sloppy play from both teams but it flowed nicely. Griffins made up for the loss with two fights in the third. Will definitely return to Van Andel when able.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What's going on with Coreau this year?
And McCollum too.

Shows why save percentage is such a useless stat.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Or they're just playing as bad as the rest of the team...
I would argue that the goalies may be playing worse than the rest of the the team. Shot data is pretty limited for the AHL, however there is little difference in the Griffins' shot differential year over year (all situations, since I can't find just 5 on 5):

2016-2017: 53.12%
2017-2018: 52.25%

All situations shooting percentage has decreased only slightly as well:

2016-2017: 9.32%
2017-2018: 8.63%

So what's driving the Griffins' struggles? A nearly 30 point drop in save percentage probably has something to do with it:

2016-2017: .921
2017-2018: .893

Data is obviously limited, but given that everything else has stayed pretty similar, I have a hard time believing that the decline in their save percentage is solely due to giving up higher quality chances against. Coreau and McCollum should shoulder their share of the blame for the Griffins' struggles.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
I only watch the highlights of the Griffs but Tommy and Coreau give up some squeakers. Save % is not an eye test thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad