Grand Rapids Griffins 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They did make him eligible for the playoffs. It's possible, that since Bert is contributing at the NHL level (and is currently on the 1st line with Zetterberg) that sending him to the minors after the season might be seen as a *****e move. In Bert's mind he's probably thinking he's an NHL player, so he shouldn't have to go back to riding the bus. Who knows.

Bert really loves to play though. I assume if he is healthy he might go back just for more games.

I assume Canada won't take him to the Worlds. So I guess if he wants to keep playing that will be the route. I have a feeling the Wings asked before the paper transaction.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Bert really loves to play though. I assume if he is healthy he might go back just for more games.

I assume Canada won't take him to the Worlds. So I guess if he wants to keep playing that will be the route. I have a feeling the Wings asked before the paper transaction.
I can assure you Bert doesn't want to ride the bus in the minors for free after having steak dinner every night in the NHL. He has nothing left to prove at the AHL level.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I can assure you Bert doesn't want to ride the bus in the minors for free after having steak dinner every night in the NHL. He has nothing left to prove at the AHL level.

And I can assure you that Bert would rather ride the bus and play in the AHL playoffs instead of sitting home and watching the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs on TV. Bert loves to play hockey and if he is not been chosen to represent Canada in the Worlds, he will be in GR, provided that the Griffins do make the playoffs.

You have to be in GR and get to know the players here to know what kind of a person each guy down here is.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Unless he's hurt, I think Bert goes down and plays. I keep thinking there was a quote awhile back when he was demoted to make him eligible that had him saying he wanted to do it, but I might just be my old timers kicking in.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
McCollum starts in goal for the Griffins tonight here in GR vs the Texas Stars. Matt Lorito got hurt over the weekend, is out a month and will miss the first round of the playoffs (if the Griffins get in) due to a lower body injury. That will hurt our 1st PP unit and losing our 2nd line center as well.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Texas Stars 2 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 (SO) - Status: Final SO
Wednesday, March 28, 2018 - Van Andel Arena

Texas 1 0 1 0 - 2
Grand Rapids 0 1 1 0 - 3

1st Period-1, Texas, Hintz 19 (Flynn, Regner), 17:23.

Penalties-Kelleher Tex (roughing), 17:09; Hronek Gr (roughing), 17:09.

2nd Period-2, Grand Rapids, Hronek 9 (Shine, Esposito), 11:57.

Penalties-Dowling Tex (holding), 0:11; Renouf Gr (holding), 13:56; Saarijarvi Gr (slashing), 17:01.

3rd Period-3, Grand Rapids, Street 17 (Campbell, Tangradi), 0:35. 4, Texas, Laberge 7 (Hansson, Markison), 5:31.

Penalties-No Penalties

OT Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-served by Kelleher Tex (bench minor - too many men), 4:23.

Shootout - Texas 2 (Kelleher G, Flynn NG, Morin NG, Hintz G, Dowling NG), Grand Rapids 3 (Tangradi NG, Turgeon NG, Hronek G, Esposito G, Holmstrom G).

Shots on Goal-Texas 9-4-6-1-0-20. Grand Rapids 11-12-16-2-1-42.

Power Play Opportunities-Texas 0 / 2; Grand Rapids 0 / 2.

Goalies-Texas, Bow 18-14-7 (41 shots-39 saves). Grand Rapids, McCollum 16-13-3 (20 shots-18 saves).

A-8,406

Referees-Mitch Dunning (3), Chris Pontes (21).
Linesmen-Nicholas Bet (86), Jake Davis (23).

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Nice Shootout goal by Hronek

It was. Esposito did the same move and kept us in the shootout. Holmstrom got a lucky flip over the goalie's pads to get the game winner.

Griffins were down 2 forwards in the third period as Puempel got hit by the puck off his hand behind the Stars net. About 2 minutes later, Elson landed awkwardly on the ice with his face and he raced to the dressing room. Elson came back about half way in the period. Puempel did not return.

Last edited:
Reactions: lidstromiscool

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
YATES AND HAMILTON SIGNED BY GRIFFINS

03/29/2018 12:12 PM
3b82cdf80e97590324ad0cb6c9bf5540.500.jpg
(L-R): Yates, Hamilton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Grand Rapids Griffins on Thursday signed center Trevor Yates and defenseman Trevor Hamilton to one-year contracts for the 2018-19 season. Yates also signed an amateur tryout and will join the Griffins this week.

Yates, 23, skated in 33 games with the Cornell Big Red (ECAC) this season as an alternate captain and posted career highs in points (26), goals (13), assists (13) and plus-minus rating (+17) to cap off a four-year career. He tied for the team lead in both points and goals, helping the Big Red capture the Cleary Cup as the ECAC’s regular season champion and earn a second consecutive bid to the NCAA Tournament.

As a junior in 2016-17, the 6-foot-2, 203-pound center nearly doubled his production from his sophomore campaign, ranking fourth on the team in scoring with 22 points (12-10—22) in 35 games. He tied for second on the Big Red with 12 goals, including a team-high eight that were tallied on the power play.

A native of Beaconsfield, Quebec, Yates appeared in 120 career games with Cornell from 2014-18, producing 65 points (32-33—65), 30 penalty minutes and a plus-20 rating.

Yates was teammates at Cornell with current Griffins defenseman Patrick McCarron from 2014-17.

Prior to college, Yates played three seasons at Deerfield Academy (USHS-Prep) in Massachusetts and banked 104 points (52-52—104) in 74 games from 2011-14.

Trevor is the son of Ross Yates, who appeared in seven games with the Hartford Whalers in 1983-84 as part of an 11-year pro career. Ross is the former head coach of the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch (2006-10) and the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs (2013-15).

Hamilton, 23, was named the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Year and a First Team All-Big Ten selection this season after leading all conference blueliners with 29 points (6-23—29) in 38 games for the Penn State Nittany Lions. Among team skaters, he tied for the team lead in plus-minus and tied for third in scoring while helping Penn State reach the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season.

The 6-foot, 198-pound defenseman placed second among team blueliners in scoring with 26 points (6-20—26) in 39 appearances during the 2016-17 season and was a part of the Nittany Lions’ first-ever Big Ten Tournament Championship.

Hamilton began his college career at Miami University (Ohio) and totaled five assists in 31 games from 2013-15 before playing the rest of the 2014-15 season and 2015-16 in the USHL.

Hamilton suited up in 76 games with the Muskegon Lumberjacks from 2014-16 and amassed 53 points (15-38—53). The 2015-16 campaign saw Hamilton named to the USHL Second All-Star Team after posting the seventh-most points (11-24—35) among league defensemen. Hamilton appeared with three different teams during his award-winning 2015-16 season, posting 25 points in 32 games with Muskegon, before adding one point in two games with the Chicago Steel and nine points in 19 games with the Lincoln Stars.

A native of Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich., Hamilton was a member of the U.S. National Development Team from 2011-13, scoring 12 points (2-10—12) and adding 71 PIM in 52 games.

The Griffins continue their playoff push tomorrow when they host the San Jose Barracuda at 7 p.m.

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
I appreciate your responses about Bert, good news.

The other question I have is... how about Vili? We badly need a D man like Vili down here for the playoffs. Will he even see playoff time in Grand Rapids? He was the 7th D man in GR all year, and with Sulak, will that change? I also wonder why Hamilton didn't sign an ATO. Maybe he has to finish some things in school?

Would be a shame if Vili was scratched in the playoffs this year when he could have been on the first D pairing in Toledo.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I appreciate your responses about Bert, good news.

The other question I have is... how about Vili? We badly need a D man like Vili down here for the playoffs. Will he even see playoff time in Grand Rapids? He was the 7th D man in GR all year, and with Sulak, will that change? I also wonder why Hamilton didn't sign an ATO. Maybe he has to finish some things in school?

Would be a shame if Vili was scratched in the playoffs this year when he could have been on the first D pairing in Toledo.

I do not think that Sulak will see any playoff action at all. He would be a "Black Ace" to the Griffins. He will start skating on Monday and with 6-7 games left in the regular season, I doubt that he would be in 100% shape to play a Griffins game before the playoffs start.

As for Vili, he just might be the 7th d-man and it depends on our forward situation (Lorito is out at least until after the 1st round and Puempel is questionable for this weekend) whether Vili gets any playoffs action. Of course the Griffins still has a battle on their hands just to get in, but it is looking a bit better and could be even better with wins on Fri here vs SJ and Sat at Mil.

Was not expecting these two signings at all today, so I'm just trying to figure these moves myself. It could be that Hamilton might have some school things to do just like Shine did last season.

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
Thank you. Just thought even with the non-severe injury with Sulak and his age/experience overseas, he would provide another option for GR and more depth that would allow Vili to play every game with Toledo.

I do notice that GR tends to play 7D when they are lacking forwards. But that shouldn't happen in the playoffs with Bert and Svech down to GR. And you would think Pope... Heard that he was going to contact the Red Wings camp when he was done finishing things up for school... Not sure what's taking him so long. Hopefully all of this + Yates is enough to send Sadowy + Nasty to Toledo for the playoffs.

I agree that is holding Hamilton up. Kind of surprised he didn't get an NHL deal, but I guess he is older for being a sophomore.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Wow. GR let Hamilton sign with Toledo this year. We don't need Vili anymore :)

Toledo was in need of a d-man since they traded their top scoring d-man to Brampton for their top scoring forward (who ended up not reporting to Toledo and instead took on a paying job in Brampton). They did pick up a former UM d-man a couple of weeks ago to shore up the back line. There was no room for him here in GR. Vili is going to stay here in GR for the rest of the season and stay with the team for the playoffs.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
McCollum in net tonight for GR as the SJ Barracuda comes in for their only visit to GR this season. Elson and Puempel will both be in the lineup tonight after suffering injuries in the third period on Wed.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
San Jose Barracuda 2 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 (SO) - Status: Final SO
Friday, March 30, 2018 - Van Andel Arena

San Jose 0 1 1 0 - 2
Grand Rapids 0 1 1 0 - 3

1st Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-No Penalties

2nd Period-1, Grand Rapids, McIlrath 5 (Turgeon, Puempel), 0:16. 2, San Jose, Middleton 5 (Helewka, True), 12:15.

Penalties-Turgeon Gr (boarding), 4:56; Schoenborn Sj (holding), 11:09; Elson Gr (high-sticking), 11:25.

3rd Period-3, Grand Rapids, Street 18 (Campbell, Saarijarvi), 7:10. 4, San Jose, True 12 (DeSimone, Middleton), 13:00 (PP).

Penalties-Middleton Sj (hooking), 0:26; Street Gr (tripping), 11:53.

OT Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-No Penalties

Shootout - San Jose 1 (Brodzinski NG, Balcers G, Clark NG, Chartier NG), Grand Rapids 2 (Street NG, Esposito G, Hronek NG, Puempel G).

Shots on Goal-San Jose 6-15-11-3-0-35. Grand Rapids 19-9-6-3-1-38.

Power Play Opportunities-San Jose 1 / 3; Grand Rapids 0 / 2.

Goalies-San Jose, Bibeau 19-14-4 (37 shots-35 saves). Grand Rapids, McCollum 17-13-3 (35 shots-33 saves).

A-9,860

Referees-Jason Faist (26), Chris Pontes (21).
Linesmen-Justin Cornell (14), Pat Richardson (67).

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
Toledo was in need of a d-man since they traded their top scoring d-man to Brampton for their top scoring forward (who ended up not reporting to Toledo and instead took on a paying job in Brampton). They did pick up a former UM d-man a couple of weeks ago to shore up the back line. There was no room for him here in GR. Vili is going to stay here in GR for the rest of the season and stay with the team for the playoffs.

Toledo traded their top scoring forward for their D man, but yes, Toledo needed a D man. Even if Hamilton wasn't going to play for GR, they would still normally sign him to an ATO like they did with Yates. I'm glad GR is allowing Toledo to sign him and help them make a deep run in the playoffs.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Toledo traded their top scoring forward for their D man, but yes, Toledo needed a D man. Even if Hamilton wasn't going to play for GR, they would still normally sign him to an ATO like they did with Yates. I'm glad GR is allowing Toledo to sign him and help them make a deep run in the playoffs.

Hamilton is signed through 18-19 on a AHL-ECHL contract, so since he was not going to play in GR, and Toledo needed a d-man, it only made sense for him to play in Toledo.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Is Matt Puempel will be with red wings ? Never seen him playing , but his numbers at AHL very good and he is only 24 former first rounder

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Is Matt Puempel will be with red wings ? Never seen him playing , but his numbers at AHL very good and he is only 24 former first rounder

Depends if the Wings are going to resign him for next season or not. He was a nice pick up for the Griffins in the Sproul trade and has produced well in GR.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
McCollum in net tonight for the Griffins as they start their 5 game road trip with their last visit in Milwaukee. Patrick McCarron to replace Hronek (out with flu) and Holmstrom replaces Sadowy as only lineup changes for tonight's game in Milwaukee.

Last edited:

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Griffins 6 at Milwaukee Admirals 2 - Status: Final
Saturday, March 31, 2018 - UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena

Grand Rapids 0 3 3 - 6
Milwaukee 1 1 0 - 2

1st Period-1, Milwaukee, Gaudreau 20 (Oligny, Dougherty), 1:59.

Penalties-Oligny Mil (hooking), 9:26.

2nd Period-2, Milwaukee, Bollig 10 (Moy, Zengerle), 10:35. 3, Grand Rapids, Russo 9 (Tangradi, Street), 12:56. 4, Grand Rapids, Tangradi 28 17:43. 5, Grand Rapids, Street 19 (Tangradi), 18:25.

Penalties-Smith Mil (slashing), 6:27; Zolnierczyk Mil (tripping), 13:24; Ford Gr (hooking), 15:34; Puempel Gr (fighting), 20:00; Bollig Mil (roughing, fighting), 20:00.

3rd Period-6, Grand Rapids, Tangradi 29 (Street, Russo), 1:03 (PP). 7, Grand Rapids, Turgeon 14 (Elson, McIlrath), 7:08. 8, Grand Rapids, Holmstrom 7 17:24.

Penalties-Shine Gr (fighting), 12:04; Oligny Mil (fighting), 12:04; Lashoff Gr (hooking), 12:57.

Shots on Goal-Grand Rapids 10-17-5-32. Milwaukee 13-9-8-30.

Power Play Opportunities-Grand Rapids 1 / 4; Milwaukee 0 / 2.

Goalies-Grand Rapids, McCollum 18-13-3 (30 shots-28 saves). Milwaukee, Lindback 30-19-4 (32 shots-26 saves).

A-5,664

Referees-Jason Faist (26), Ben O'Quinn (27).
Linesmen-Riley Bowles (86), Rhodes Dolan (68).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad