News Article: Granato Exclusive with Matthew Fairburn

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Most players on any team will eventually slack off if the HC is not holding them to a standard and using discipline to maintain it. Only a few teams with the most obsessive/committed leaders can get away with a HC that doesn't do this...guys that can pick up that slack so to speak. If Granato thought guys weren't listening, there is hardly any hint that he did anything significant to address it. Talking alone isn't enough, especially with a young roster and a lame captain that might not even know just how deep they have to dig to be successful. We never saw or heard of certain players getting benched or scratched, other than a few young guys who "weren't going well" or however Granato put it. Never heard about bag skates or some equivalent, never saw Granato go ballistic during a game or otherwise publicly shame a guy who needed it. Some of this may have happened to a small extent, but if the team was full of guys not listening, then it's Granato's fault for not delivering the message effectively or taking another action to drive it home.

I totally get that the roster could be at least half full of lazy brats who don't have what it takes, but almost any group of guys that have made it to the NHL have potential to be coached and disciplined into a cohesive unit that should at least come out like they have a clue at puck drop. My own personal experiences have proven that a good coach, supervisor, team leader, etc, can take almost any group worth half a damn and make it successful to some extent, or at least functioning properly.
Ruff bag skated the Devils multiple times this season and they were saying that there wasn't enough accountability after Lindy was let go there.

I completely agree that Granato needed to go. And I hope that the next coach can get them to be more disciplined.

However, I do think there are plenty of issues with the mix of guys in the room on that front, as well.

Okposo, Girgensons, Tuch, Dahlin, Cozens, Adams, and Granato are all people that need to take long looks in the mirror about the "lack of accountability" on the team. 2 or 3 of them may be gone. But, 4 or 5 will be back next season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

When it comes to the accountability questions with both the head coach opening, along with the guys on the roster, I hope that Clifton is a guy that Adams is picking the brain of given his experience playing in Boston.

Tuch, Greenway, and Byram are also interesting guys to talk to and compare and contrast what is going on in Buffalo versus the other places that they have been,

Reactions: Chainshot

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Okposo, Girgensons, Tuch, Dahlin, Cozens, Adams, and Granato are all people that need to take long looks in the mirror about the "lack of accountability" on the team. 2 or 3 of them may be gone. But, 4 or 5 will be back next season.
I would include Tage to a lesser degree too.

Didn't start the season great. 6 goals, 12 points, -5 in 16 games before his wrist surgery.

Not awful, but also not 1st line center production that we need/want from him.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

When it comes to the accountability questions with both the head coach opening, along with the guys on the roster, I hope that Clifton is a guy that Adams is picking the brain of given his experience playing in Boston.

Tuch, Greenway, and Byram are also interesting guys to talk to and compare and contrast what is going on in Buffalo versus the other places that they have been,

Fairburn mentioned Dahlin, Cozens, Clifton, Tuch, Tage, Krebs and Greenway saying a lot of the right things (accountability) on locker cleanout day.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fairburn mentioned Dahlin, Cozens, Clifton, Tuch, Tage, Krebs and Greenway saying a lot of the right things (accountability) on locker cleanout day.
The problem I have is that talk is cheap. And like has been pointed out by multiple people, accountability within the group of players is oftentimes even more important than accountability from the coaching staff.

Granato wasn't perfect. Neither were the players that "said the right things" on locker clean out day.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Ruff bag skated the Devils multiple times this season and they were saying that there wasn't enough accountability after Lindy was let go there.

I completely agree that Granato needed to go. And I hope that the next coach can get them to be more disciplined.

However, I do think there are plenty of issues with the mix of guys in the room on that front, as well.

Really, everyone should be looking in the mirror. They all have some comments that border on excuses. Some of things said would hold a lot more weight if they were said in December. Now THAT would show pride and backbone, when there's still more at stake, than after it's over and you feel more free to speak because the HC just got canned and the GM already came out publicly with reasons why.

I just think that from Granato's POV, he shouldn't be deflecting towards players at all. He's the guy in charge on the ice and it falls on him, especially with the youngest roster in the league, going in knowing you have a challenge to mold young men. Some guys are going to be hard-headed and tougher to mold. That's not a legit excuse, it's an in-grained part of the challenge.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Bakes/Fairburn brought up an interesting point about the players comments. Wondering how many were just parroting what Adams said the day before. They also pointed out that much of that was on Wednesday. By Thursday it was a more balanced ith some players putting some blame on themselves.
Something I was not aware of is that they let media interview players based on seniority. So the parroting note also aligned with the older veterans. Was that a maturity thing or just a timing thing - who knows?

There were a few guys I wanted to see what they said and not what was said, and I feel I have a better handle on the veterans currently in the room after that first day.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
As someone that has coached plenty of kids, managed adults, worked for a D1 hockey team, and has a son currently playing D3 college lacrosse, I think Don Granato said the quiet part out loud.

You could have the hardest of hardass coaches and it won't matter if the players refuse to listen and are unable to be accountable and change.

Exhibit A: Rod Brind'Amour reportedly wanting nothing to do with Jeff Skinner. Why is that? I would bet money is that it is because he is one of those "not accountable" guys. And a guy that RBA couldn't coach accountability into was the highest paid forward on this roster.

And given the contract with the NMC that the previous GM gave Skinner, it's not like Granato could demand that they move him.

Similar background from HS to the USOC and a bunch of levels in between.

I think DG deserved to be let go. I am not defending him as a world beater. He took the team as far as he could then he fell on his face. But I can pick up what he is saying. Sometimes if you come in hard on a roster that is already gripping a bit too tight things get worse.

The vibe I am getting is that there are a lot of deficiencies with this team from player mentality to roster construction, to coaching. I am unsure there is a magic bullet.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I will also point out that some of the commentary folks wondered at Fitz talking about accountability, especially when initially it was simply Green taking a solidly performing Nemec out of the lineup when guys like Marino and Siegenthaler were poor most of the season.

This isn't an issue that can be solved only via the coach and it can't be solved by trying to Rivet some leadership into the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad