Grade the Ranger's draft, comments etc too

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by in the hall, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in the hall

in the hall Registered User

1-6. AL MONTOYA, G, MICHIGAN (CCHA)
    1-19. LAURI KORPIKOSKI, LW, TPS TURKU (FINLAND)
    2-36. DARIN OLVER, C, NORTHERN MICHIGAN (CCHA)
    2-48. DANE BYERS, LW, PRINCE ALBERT (WHL)
    2-51. BRUCE GRAHAM, C, MONCTON (QMJHL)
    2-60. BRANDON DUBINSKY, C, PORTLAND (WHL)
    3-73. ZDENEK BAHENSKY, RW, LITVINOV (CZECH)
    3-80. BILLY RYAN, C, CUSHING ACADEMY (USHS)

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/draft-team.cgi?NYR&DraftID=4

2. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

They seem to have done alright.

We'll know in a couple years, but taking Dubinsky that high is really risky.

3. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    They did a good job IMO. Montoya, no comment needed. Korikoski, bit of a gamble , would have taken Wolski, Meszaros, or Schremp instead. Grahame #51: Steal IMO.

4. Vman

Vman Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    With all the prospects NYR got last season from trading their players and the players at today's draft, I think they will be very good team in the future.

5. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

Montoya is a solid pick. I personally liked Schwarz better as I've seen more of Montoya, but we was really good at the WJC's and should end up being a solid goalie for the rangers in a few years.

Korpikoski I've never seen, but wanted the Habs to take, sounds like a great pick.

Olver never saw either that I can remember.

Byers I only saw once was physical

Graham is huge, skates very well for a big guy, good setup guy, although not physical from the games I've seen. I guess I expect a guy 6'6 217 to throw his weight around, but not every player needs to be physical. He had a solid year and decent playoffs, next year should be even better I would assume.

The other picks I've never seen.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    I like Shwartz better too, but like the poster above said Montoya's solid. Jumping up and getting Korp was a great move IMO. Graham might not be a Primeau clone but I do think that he can be a B version of him. I think that they had a great draft.

7. in the hall

thanks for the comments fellas

if anyone has an opinion please post it, here is the rest of the Rangers draft

R4/127 Ryan Callahan (RW)
    R5/135 Roman Psurny (LW)
    R6/169 Jordan Foote (LW)
    R8/247 Jonathan Paiement (D)
    R9/266 Jakub Petruzalek (RW)

8. coolio123

coolio123 Registered User

I've seen Olver play a few times. He is a very talented, skilled player. Needs to get a lot bigger, and put on muscle. Played on a line with Pat Bateman most of the year at NMU the two seemed to work well together. Bateman is a bigger player and Olver seems to need be on a line with big players to feed him the puck. Olver is overall a vey talented player with a bright future.

9. Playmaker

Playmaker Registered User

Comedian
    Home Page:
    I don't see the reasoning behind drafting Montoya at all. Other than that it seems like a good draft.

Why draft Montoya when you have Blackburn and Lundqvist already?

10. klingsor

klingsor Registered User

Home Page:
    Blackburn is a VERY BIG question mark coming back from a very serious injury:

New York Rangers Official Web Site : Press Releases
    Address:http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/pressreleases.asp?id=1234

And this is a press release from the Rangers, the same people who kept on telling us that Lindros' last two concussions were not concussions.

11. Playmaker

Playmaker Registered User

Comedian
    Home Page:
    Thanks for telling me, Klingsor. It sounded suspect, so I figured either someone was injured, or about to be traded.

12. in the hall

too further the point, same organization that attempted to hide Richter's concussion only to have the cover up blown by a accidental blurb made by JD during a game, and also downplay the seriousness of Bure's injury

i only mention thes because this one in particular really pissed me off and the two i don't forget

13. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    that is a question that most ranger fans are wondering too...(especially with such a need for a top forward)...

during the draft party the rangers held at msg, that pick received loud boos followed by a huge "fire sather" chant (not cause we don't like montoya but don't see the need to pick a goalie in that spot with 2 already in the system)...

the only way this pick makes sense is if either they have serious doubts about blackburn's shoulder OR if they weren't completely sold on the players available this year and they think that down the road they will be able to trade blackburn for players better than what was available...

also just to note, blackburn was at msg during the draft party and was on stage when they made the pick and he was in total shock. he looked like someone just killed his dog, heart sank, etc...the crowd started a "danny blackburn" chant to show our support to him, but you could tell he was devastated and looked like he felt betrayed

14. mazmin

mazmin Go! Jets! Go!

Personal Trainer / FM
    It's a solid, well-rounded group. You've got offense, size and some grit. You've got a few "safe" picks as well as "boom or bust" prospects. It's NEVER a bad pick taking a highly rated goalie even if you're already deep at the position as young goalies always have good trade return.

The only fault is the lack of blueliners. What gives?

15. Skroob*

Skroob* Guest

We have a decent crop of D-men in the system.

Poti is still young, as is Rachenuk. Tjutin and Pock are NHL ready. Kondratiev, Liffton, Baranka, Taylor, Guenin, Potter round out a solid group.

16. BLACKBURN

BLACKBURN Registered User

Home Page:
    Poor guy, I would have felt betrayed aswell is that was me. It shows a lack of faith when they say "Montoya's here to play in NY" and your meant to be "the guy" in NY. I think its an average pick, I would have prefered a guy like Tukonen but there is obviously a reason. Possible reasons may be -

* They dont think Blackburn will ever regain form after a year from hockey and a serious shoulder injury.

* They dont think Lunquist will come over to NA, and even if he does he may not adapt well.

* They think Montoya was the BPA and will use one of him, Blackburn and Lundquist as a trade chip in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.