Grade the players after 33% of the season.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Gonna grade them relative to expectations.

A : Sid, Ned

A- : Jarry, Pettersson, Rust

B : Jake, Eller, Ludvig, Shea

B- : Letang

C : Karlsson, Carter, Zohorna, Hinostroza, Acciari

C- : Malkin, R.Smith, Nieto

D : Graves, Harkins, Joseph, DOC

F : Rakell, Ruhwedel

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
A: Sid, Guentzel, Letang, Goalies

B+: EK, Pettersson, Rust

B: Ludvig, Eller

C+: Hinnie, Zohorona

C: DOC, Malkin

D+: Smith, Nieto, Carter

D: Graves, Rakell.

I don't really understand the disappointment with EK among fans, He's killing it at 5v5. Gf/60: 3.5, Ga/60 1.8(!) He and Petts are the best pair in the world.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't really understand the disappointment with EK among fans, He's killing it at 5v5. Gf/60: 3.5, Ga/60 1.8(!) He and Petts are the best pair in the world.

I'm starting to see that Petts is covering up a ton of EK's mistakes. And I'd never thought I'd say this, but the goalies have balled out these past few weeks and covered Ek's gaffes. I unfortunately believe this will normalize and his mistakes are going to be magnified here in the next month.

I want him to drive play and carry the puck more. He's been neutered by this coaching staff

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm starting to see that Petts is covering up a ton of EK's mistakes. And I'd never thought I'd say this, but the goalies have balled out these past few weeks and covered Ek's gaffes. I unfortunately believe this will normalize and his mistakes are going to be magnified here in the next month.

I want him to drive play and carry the puck more. He's been neutered by this coaching staff
But that is the point of Petts being there.

And still, EK has been better than anyone would have thought on the defensive side of things. I wish he was playing like a 4th a forward.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
These are rankings more relative towards expectations than anything. Not really looking at the WBS fodder that has had to play recently due to injuries, I'm looking at their mostly NHL players.

A: Crosby, Guentzel, Letang, Jarry, Nedjelkovic and Rust

B: Eller, Karlsson and Pettersson

C: Malkin, Smith, O'Connor, Zohorna, Acciari, Shea, Ludvig and Hinostroza,

D: Graves, Carter, Nieto and Ruhwedel

F: Rakell, POJ (in a small sample size) and Harkins

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
But that is the point of Petts being there.

And still, EK has been better than anyone would have thought on the defensive side of things. I wish he was playing like a 4th a forward.

But what happens to EK when his security blanket has an off night or is injured? EK needs to be better on both ends of the ice. I'd give him a C+ relative to expectations.

I agree that I thought EK would be more of a 4th F ala early Letang.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Based on my pre-season expectations (C = meeting my expectations)

A - Eller, Rust

B - Jarry, Pettersson, Ned, Shea, Zohorna,

C - Crosby, Letang, Karlsson, Guentzel, POJ, Carter, Smith, Ruhwedel

D - Graves, Malkin, Rakell, Nieto, Acciari

F - DOC, Harkins

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
A : Ned, Rust, Pettersson

A- : Jarry, Sid, Jake

B : Eller, Ludvig, Shea, Karlsson,

C : Carter, Zohorna, Hinostroza, Graves, DOC, Smith, Malkin, Nieto, Acciari

C- : Ruhwedel, Harkins

D : POJ

F : Rakell

Rakell is the only guy that really surprised me on the negative side. On the positive side, Pets surprised me by maintaining last year's level.
Ned is who shocked me. Was bracing for rubbish. He's been fabulous.

I expected trash play from Ruhwedel and Harkins, and they've delivered. So how can I give them an F? Nieto and Acciari have defended well, but are worthless with scoring, as expected.

Can't give Sid and Jake an A because of crappy PP work. At 5v5 they been exceptional, along with Rust.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A : Ned, Rust, Pettersson

A- : Jarry, Sid, Jake

B : Eller, Ludvig, Shea, Karlsson,

C : Carter, Zohorna, Hinostroza, Graves, DOC, Smith, Malkin, Nieto, Acciari

C- : Ruhwedel, Harkins

D : POJ

F : Rakell

Rakell is the only guy that really surprised me on the negative side. On the positive side, Pets surprised me by maintaining last year's level.
Ned is who shocked me. Was bracing for rubbish. He's been fabulous.

I expected trash play from Ruhwedel and Harkins, and they've delivered. So how can I give them an F? Nieto and Acciari have defended well, but are worthless with scoring, as expected.

Can't give Sid and Jake an A because of crappy PP work. They been exceptional, along with Rust.

Fair enough. But Sid is the best in the world. Continues to prove it.

A: Sid, Ned, Pettersson
B: Jake, Jarry*, EK, Rust
C: Letang, Malkin, Eller
D: Graves & The other bottom 6
F: Well, no players deserve an F from me. But if we included folks in the org other than players they would go here.

Ungraded: Rakell. Yeah he slumped mightily. I think this season is basically a wash for him. We know he's capable, but I don't think we're getting it this year.

The asterisk next to Jarry is because he was shit for the first few weeks of the year AND he's our starter/paid like a starter. If he was back on a 3M contract I'd say we reap what we sew - but he should be playing pretty much like this (close-ish to it) the entire year....right around 10-15th. Not 29th. But a B is a good grade for him considering I thought we were doomed the minute we signed that deal (maybe we still are who knows).

Also - Pettersson is someone who I've come to really, really like in Pittsburgh. Props to the org for sticking with him after a few seasons of woof. Dude has solidified himself and he/EK continue to make us question Letang/Graves (especially Graves).

Edit: Forgot about Smith. Fitting. He's forgettable unless you debate salary cap structure. Had stretches where people wanted to jump on those of us who called him Zucker 2.0. Now has had stretches where he's that exact player. Honest guy, looks good at times - but I'll never agree that he is the type of player this club needed to spend mils on. Maybe if he hit more like Kunitz. But yeah, I think we know that one of Rakell or Smith gotta go. If I had to grade him - I'd slot him around C territory.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
How has Ludvig been for you guys?

Pretty good. Looks solid as a cheap bottom pairing guy who can throw the body which is something the Pens need given they're tissue paper soft. I'd say a solid B/B+ in terms of performance.

Reactions: Laus723

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Pretty good. Looks solid as a cheap bottom pairing guy who can throw the body which is something the Pens need given they're tissue paper soft. I'd say a solid B/B+ in terms of performance.
About what we hoped he’d be for us. Glad he’s getting time with you guys. Glad he gets a solid B

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad