Grabovski, Suglobov, or Kaigorodov?

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I think as of right now, this one is pretty clear-cut.

Suglobov
Kaigorodov
Grabovsky

But how is that fair? Kaigs and Grabs haven't even played in North America before, while Suglobov has 3 years in the AHL, totalling 178 games, and even a little NHL experience. He's also an 82 birthday, while Kaigs is an 83, and Grabovsky an 84. If Suglobov wasn't the best currently, there would be something disticly wrong.

For potential, I don't see how anyone can honestly put Suglobov first. He's older and far more experienced than the other two, which also means he's much closer to his potential than they are. That's not to say he won't end up the best of the three, but you have to give the other two the edge in potential at the moment, simply because they have so much development left. They could both end up as star players, or they could both end up complete busts, but the potential is there. Having seen so little of either of them, I'm having a hard time deciding how to rank them, so my list for potential goes:

Kaigorodov
Grabovsky
Suglobov

Kaigs got the edge because I'm a habs fan, and if I think they're tied, the non-hab prospect must actually be better.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005

Suglobov
Kaigorodov
Grabovsky

But how is that fair? Kaigs and Grabs haven't even played in North America before, while Suglobov has 3 years in the AHL, totalling 178 games, and even a little NHL experience. He's also an 82 birthday, while Kaigs is an 83, and Grabovsky an 84. If Suglobov wasn't the best currently, there would be something disticly wrong.

For potential, I don't see how anyone can honestly put Suglobov first. He's older and far more experienced than the other two, which also means he's much closer to his potential than they are. That's not to say he won't end up the best of the three, but you have to give the other two the edge in potential at the moment, simply because they have so much development left. They could both end up as star players, or they could both end up complete busts, but the potential is there. Having seen so little of either of them, I'm having a hard time deciding how to rank them, so my list for potential goes:

Kaigorodov
Grabovsky
Suglobov

Kaigs got the edge because I'm a habs fan, and if I think they're tied, the non-hab prospect must actually be better.

I can't add much except to say good post. I would rank them the same way for much the same reasons.

At this point, with 3 AHL seasons under his belt, it seems Sugs is the most NHL ready prospect. But he's also the oldest and at 24 I think we've got a much clearer impression of what kind of player he can and will be.

I don't have much to judge Grabs on except that he's put up good numbers in the RSL and people have said good things about him. He did look very good in campt though, and we'll see how he can adapt to his first season in the AHL.

I can honestly say I have even less to judge Kaigorodov on except reports that say he's great and stats that show he's producing at a very high level. For this reason I'd probably put him first in terms of potential, followed by Grabs and then Sugs. But at this point, Sugs is the safer choice as he is NHL ready and we know pretty much what to expect from him.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I haven't seen Grabovski or Kaigs, so I'm just going to comment on Suglobov. He is an incredibly explosive skater with good moves and a laser of a shot. He also is a terrible decision maker and makes passes he shouldn't. The good about him definetly makes up for the bad and he has 30 goal scorer written all over him.

Bryzga lol*

Suglobov
Kaigorodov
Grabovsky

Kaigorodov
Grabovsky
Suglobov

Totally agree with what you said.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I think most people would take Kaigorodov? :dunno: He may take a little while to adapt, but I would have thought he has the highest consensus upside of the bunch. At least, heading into this season. Things may be changing now that we get to see all these guys, of course. I haven't seen him enough to have an opinion aside from the hearsay.

The other two, well, tossup for now AFAIC. Yes, I've watched all the Leafs pre-season games and I'm very aware of what Suglobov (aka Suglo-God) has managed. However, I watched him in recent years in the AHL, and I'm very aware of what he's capable of not doing too. Hopefully he'll keep the momentum going, and if he can land a job on a scoring line, he might just get his career going, finally.

Grabovski was the darling of Habs fans at the rookie tourney. He has a bit of polishing and learning to do, but certainly he has the talent and speed to rank nicely in this group of 3. Unfortunately, he has been injured in camp and we haven't had a chance yet to see him against NHL players. My guess is that he'll need a season in the AHL to adapt. But then, he's the youngest of the 3 also, so this time next year, I could see him being the best of the group. Or not. It's a pretty fair tossup, better bait for the Homers than donuts and beer.

I agree with this.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I haven't seen Grabovski or Kaigs, so I'm just going to comment on Suglobov. He is an incredibly explosive skater with good moves and a laser of a shot. He also is a terrible decision maker and makes passes he shouldn't. The good about him definetly makes up for the bad and he has 30 goal scorer written all over him.

Like every forward prospect ever.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Give her the ol' Grabovski.

...and then if you're lucky she'll Suglobov.

I guessing Suglobov will have the best year and Grabovski will have the best career. Kaigorodov will be secend best overall as a career and in scoring this season.

Last edited:

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Like every forward prospect ever.
Its different when people say that about an 18 year old who has 8 years of developing left. Suglobov is very close and definetly has that ability with a pretty solid chance of reaching the 30 goal mark sometime in the next three-four years. Watch him play a couple games.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Kaigorodov
Grabovski

Suglobov (There's a reason he's been in the AHL for this long)
yep, cause players never produce in the NHL once they played 3 years in the AHL.... see Brad Boyes, once again annother misinformed Habs fan, that is going to put Suglobov at the bottom of the list just because he is a Leaf. I think every Habs fan has Suglobov at the bottom of there lists.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Suglobov > Gretzky >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kaigorodov > Grabovsky

is that clear?

no seriously Kaigorodov must learn the physical aspect of hockey as it's played in NA first ... like Datsyuk did in his first 2 years. after that he could be great.

NewHabsEra*

One thing sure, Suglobov impressed me alot against the Habs about 2 weeks ago.. He looked so quick and so great with the puck, great shot as well... I was wondering.. Is it Mogilny or what?

If Grabovski can become something similar to this Suglobov guy I saw the other night, I would be quite happy..

Sure its one game and our defensemen were quite brutal but he still impressed me much.. Maurice should play this kid with Sundin..

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->