Grabner vs Tlusty

Luke87

Sep 10, 2006
Oshawa
hey guys

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on these 2 guys and who has more potential for all around game and points , also how long do you see these guys taking to make there respective clubs?

Transported Upstater

I know nothing on Grabner, but I'll comment on Tlusty:

He's definitely an all-around player, not single-minded at all. Doesn't wimp out when going into traffic. Great offensive skills though.

Chances of making the Leafs? VERY slim, if the Leafs have one single ounce of brain power. Tlusty is playing well in camp so far, but it would be a horrible idea to bring him in and lose a UFA-ineligible year on a very talented 18-year old unless he REALLY DESTROYS camp. I hope to god that he is in the AHL next year (it seems that the OHL is a distant memory) and NOT the Leafs. It would likely be a huge panic move to bring him in.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Grabner was one of my favorite prospects of the draft. He's a kid who is ALL about shooting. He's fast and can burn nearly any defender. He's all offense, no defense. Real one-way kid. I love his game, though. He's not afraid and won't play a perimeter game. While he's not one to initiate contact, he won't shy from it like some players will. He goes to the net and has an absolutely incredible shot and a TON of moves. He could pass the puck a bit more, though.

With that said, Tlusty is still definately a better prospect. While he might not score as many goals in the NHL as Grabner will, he'll rack up more assists and play a better two-way game. Tlusty has a lot of moves, too and a solid shot. Really solid offensive skills as Trans put it!

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Many people think Grabner is the next Havlat. Don't know much about Tlusty though.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I do feel Grabner has more upside, but Tlusty is more likely to reach his upside. I feel Grabner is a better goal scorer, and their passing is about the same, but Tlusty is a better defensive player which really seperates them. If I had to compare both of them to a respective player I'd say Grabner to Martin Havlat(playing style), and Tlusty to Marian Hossa(playing style). Now I'm not saying that Tlusty will become a 90 point threat, but I do think he has 70+ point potential while playing an all around game. I feel the same way for Grabner except maybe a little more offense, and worst defense. Tlusty is the better prospect at this point though.

I see both of their potential being first liners though.

Last edited:

AgentNaslund*

Theres no doubt Tlusty is probably higher profile. Hes also safer then Grabner.
If you ask me, I rather have Tlusty.

leafaholix*

all those boos on draft day seem to have helped the leafs.

tlusty is sick

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I disagree. Grabner comes back very hard, a real worker- he's great at stealing the puck. Are you sure you're not thinking of Vanek?

His "defense" is around the same level as Prucha's. I don't ever, ever expect Grabner to be a two-way player in the NHL. I don't think that anyone does. It's not why he was drafted and isn't why he is fairly highly regarded.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
tlusty is safer but grabner has a higher ceiling. havlat minus the kicks (and hopefully contract disputes) is a good definition. he should be a great fit for the sedins in the future and they can cover him defensively.
grabner is all shooting and all about scoring. the nucks finally didnt make a "safe" pick (insert nathan smith joke here). he is a boom or bust and is in a great situation in vancouver (with the lack of scring prospects and a weakness on the right side

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I do feel Grabner has more upside, but Tlusty is more likely to reach his upside. I feel Grabner is a better goal scorer, and their passing is about the same, but Tlusty is a better defensive player which really seperates them. If I had to compare both of them to a respective player I'd say Grabner to Martin Havlat(playing style), and Tlusty to Marian Hossa(playing style). Now I'm not saying that Tlusty will become a 90 point threat, but I do think he has 70+ point potential while playing an all around game. I feel the same way for Grabner except maybe a little more offense, and worst defense. Tlusty is the better prospect at this point though.

I see both of their potential being first liners though.

I think you're almost bang on. Tlusty if you ask me doesn't play a game like Hossa's. I think Daniel Alfredsson at center would be a better comparison in terms of style of play.

It's true. Grabner's kicking abilities have been described as sub-par at best :teach:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
His "defense" is around the same level as Prucha's. I don't ever, ever expect Grabner to be a two-way player in the NHL. I don't think that anyone does. It's not why he was drafted and isn't why he is fairly highly regarded.

Sure, scoring and speed are his trump cards but it is just not accurate to say he's all offense and no defense. I saw him about 10 times last season and he's a very very hard worker in both directions, he doesn't float or cherry pick, he's always flying around the ice with lots of energy. He's not a grinder-type to be sure, but to say he has no defensive presence is just wrong. A few scribes said the same thing as you but I think they were going more by stereotypes (small, speedy guy who scores waaay more goals than assists) and tried to connect dots. Most scouts though rave about his constant energy, work ethic and positive effort out there, with or without the puck.

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Sure, scoring and speed are his trump cards but it is just not accurate to say he's all offense and no defense. I saw him about 10 times last season and he's a very very hard worker in both directions, he doesn't float or cherry pick, he's always flying around the ice with lots of energy. He's not a grinder-type to be sure, but to say he has no defensive presence is just wrong. A few scribes said the same thing as you but I think they were going more by stereotypes (small, speedy guy who scores waaay more goals than assists) and tried to connect dots. Most scouts though rave about his constant energy, work ethic and positive effort out there, with or without the puck.

I've never seen him play before but it's really encouraging that you say he plays with zeal at both ends and without the puck. Would a comparizon to sat Perezhogin be accurate (only maybe slightly higher offensively skilled with less defensive abilities)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->