Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Being a 'soft seller' is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about with injury luck. The Devils had exactly 0 games played by defenseman callups this season - they started with 8 D on the roster and they never needed help from Binghamton. Trading Moore, the left side of the D now looks like Greene/Butcher/Mueller with the next-best LHD being... Strait? Kapla? Dyblenko? That's what you want going down the left side trying to make the playoffs? Your alternative is playing an RHD on the left side which is not really what you want.

Unless the injury bug really hits the D in the playoffs, the Devils will end up surviving quite shoddy depth at the D position this season. It's something I hope Shero doesn't repeat, but judging by his trades for Grabner and Maroon, he is at least aware of the value of having depth.
Mueller was hurt for a good stretch. Our left side lacks top end talent, but we have 4 guys I'm fairly confident in running out there every night.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Devils have been lucky that they have not had any injuries at forward besides the ones that they had when they made the deal. In fact, injury luck is a big part of their unexpected success this season, not that you'll hear that from anyone around here. So yeah, Grabner is the 4th line LW right now, but that could very easily change with an injury somewhere up top.

While the Devils are lacking in talent all over the roster, I suspect Grabner-Boyle-Gibbons is one of the top Devils 4th lines of the last 20 years, and it's not because they are letting a higher line get caved in.
Mojo for most of the year. Zajac at the start. Boyle at the start. Palms missed a good chunk. Gibbons missed games.

To a lesser extent Hall and Zacha missed games. Q when he was up.

Maybe it was not terrible, but we've had our share.

I think we have very solid fwd depth.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Mojo for most of the year. Zajac at the start. Boyle at the start. Palms missed a good chunk. Gibbons missed games.

To a lesser extent Hall and Zacha missed games. Q when he was up.

Maybe it was not terrible, but we've had our share.

I think we have very solid fwd depth.

Hischier didn't miss a game, Bratt missed one game, Hall missed 5, and the Devils found themselves with better than expected forward depth with the emergence of Coleman and Gibbons. Guys called up from Binghamton played a total of 11 games this season, a total which I assume is close to the lowest in Devils history (I think 2007 was similarly healthy). That will not happen next season, you can bet on that.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hischier didn't miss a game, Bratt missed one game, Hall missed 5, and the Devils found themselves with better than expected forward depth with the emergence of Coleman and Gibbons. Guys called up from Binghamton played a total of 11 games this season, a total which I assume is close to the lowest in Devils history (I think 2007 was similarly healthy). That will not happen next season, you can bet on that.
Crosby played 82, Kessel 82, Malkin 78 letang 79.

Kucherov played 80, stamkos 78, Johnson 81 Hedman 77.

Giroux, Vroacek Couturier provorov all played 82.

We did not have an out of the ordinary healthy season.

And yes we did have good fwd depth, in part because of Coleman and Gibbons(but do note we traded away Rico) but that was my point. We have good depth.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How many games did we have where everyone was healthy? 2? 3?

Anyway, CHIP (Cap Hit of Injured Players) charts:
NHL Injury Viz: 2017/18 team injury breakdowns

We seem to be pretty middle of the pack (ignore the light blue - it's LTIR i.e. Clowe).

Tampa, Pitt, and Philly all were pretty low on the chart.
If you break it down further, in terms of defense, we were very healthy. Only Mirco missed games, and his cap hip was nill.

But in terms of fwd's we are amongst the top 1/3 both in terms of cap hit and total games missed. We had to battle through a fair amount of injuries.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If you break it down further, in terms of defense, we were very healthy. Only Mirco missed games, and his cap hip was nill.

But in terms of fwd's we are amongst the top 1/3 both in terms of cap hit and total games missed. We had to battle through a fair amount of injuries.
That might have actually worked in our favor. We probably had better depth at F than D, although losing Zajac, Johansson, and Palms for long stretches was pretty bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That might have actually worked in our favor. We probably had better depth at F than D, although losing Zajac, Johansson, and Palms for long stretches was pretty bad.
With Mueller and Santini, and after the addition of Vat's, we do go 4 deep on both sides of the back end. But it was not really put to the test.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
NJ signing Grabner simply wasn't a good fit for the team. He excelled under Vigneault due to his ability to use his mobility. NJ has always played hockey in another way, it's still mobile, but it hasn't been as fast and north/ south in an extreme way. Grabner was very happy under Vigneault, because his system rewarded Grabner's play to the maximum. NJ plays with more of a east/west traffic movement kind of game once the team enters the zone, which I as a NYR fan would call quite elegant, because it's quite precise. But it wasn't the enviroment for Grabner. A guy NJ needs more is a player like Lee in NYI.

I still think the NJ idea of playing hockey still is legitimate, as it's not left in the dust in the way of playing modern hockey. It only needs some more player quality and some tweaks.

Reactions: My3Sons

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
NJ signing Grabner simply wasn't a good fit for the team. He excelled under Vigneault due to his ability to use his mobility. NJ has always played hockey in another way, it's still mobile, but it hasn't been as fast and north/ south in an extreme way. Grabner was very happy under Vigneault, because his system rewarded Grabner's play to the maximum. NJ plays with more of a east/west traffic movement kind of game once the team enters the zone, which I as a NYR fan would call quite elegant, because it's quite precise. But it wasn't the enviroment for Grabner. A guy NJ needs more is a player like Lee in NYI.

I still think the NJ idea of playing hockey still is legitimate, as it's not left in the dust in the way of playing modern hockey. It only needs some more player quality and some tweaks.

Grabner can go float around somewhere else.

If the guy isn't going to give it his all when he went from a team heading nowhere to a team fighting for a playoff spot, then he's not the type of character player I want on my team.

The good about this trade is that we were able to see what type of player he would be on our team and prevented Shero to hand him a 3 year deal worth around 9M$.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Grabner's last 1.75 seasons before coming to the Devils were a fluke. He wasn't really a 30-ish goal scorer. His shooting percentage and goals per minute were on some monster PED's.

Reactions: Darkauron

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Ray took a shot and he wound up missing anyway. It happens sometimes, frequently with deadline rental players. In the end we made the playoffs by one point. As little as he did here he still may have helped us get in. Don’t you think guys in the locker room like seeing their GM take a shot at helping them out down the stretch? Getting a little aggressive in giving the team a shot?

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Silky mitts on a Grabner goal at FLA being replayed bow on MSG
You mean to tell me MSG is already doing their summer reruns of Rangers game from the season before? They usually don't start those until like late June or so.:laugh:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The irony of the Grabner deal. I fully believed this was a great deal/match for the Devils. I couldn’t understand why the Devils would trade for Maroon. He is slow and a product if McD. Oooops..

Grabner sucking is one thing, get hosed by the Rangers is endless pit of rage! Maroon is slow but man his possession and board work is something the team lacked.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You mean to tell me MSG is already doing their summer reruns of Rangers game from the season before? They usually don't start those until like late June or so.:laugh:

There is nothing else to broadcast this time of year since MSG lost both MLB teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->