Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Is 8 games really a lengthy down period?

It's just more magnified because there are so few games left. It's the risk you take with any potential rental pickup (although it remains to be seen if Grabner is just a rental).

That's kind of why I like making trades earlier in the season. Could you imagine this place if we'd made the Vatanen trade at the deadline where he had like 1 point in his first 10 games?

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
the trade gets WORSE if we re-sign Grabner....? that makes no sense

i would put the likelihood of your 2nd and 3rd points coming to fruition at under 10% each

but thank you for the "DD" doom and gloom

If someone had come on here and said there was a less than 10% chance that Rykov would become a top pairing defenseman the day before the Devils traded him, I'm guessing that Zajac's Bowl Cut would have vehemently objected to that on the grounds of "negativity", "how can you know that" etc. Am I right? Seems that is the way this goes?

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Even if Rykov has 10% chance of becoming top pair d-man and 2nd round pick has 10% chance to become NHL top pair d-man/1st line fwd/starting goalie, it's still higher than our chance to make it to ECF this year and justify the trade.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If someone had come on here and said there was a less than 10% chance that Rykov would become a top pairing defenseman the day before the Devils traded him, I'm guessing that Zajac's Bowl Cut would have vehemently objected to that on the grounds of "negativity", "how can you know that" etc. Am I right? Seems that is the way this goes?

not really, I wouldn't have

HEre is a question- what is your % that you think that Rykov becomes a true top pairing DMan? Need to hear it, since you apparently know better than me.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
not really, I wouldn't have

HEre is a question- what is your % that you think that Rykov becomes a true top pairing DMan? Need to hear it, since you apparently know better than me.

Nah I really don't know better than anyone else. Ive seen about 10 minutes real time of Rykov playing on NHL Network during Worlds with one of my kids throwing toys around the room. All I know is that reading your analysis is that if he is a Devil he's good, if the Devils trade him, its good because he stunk anyway. High level stuff.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nah I really don't know better than anyone else. Ive seen about 10 minutes real time of Rykov playing on NHL Network during Worlds with one of my kids throwing toys around the room. All I know is that reading your analysis is that if he is a Devil he's good, if the Devils trade him, its good because he stunk anyway. High level stuff.

you're just making things up now, but alrighty then!!

I don't think I made more than 5 posts ever on Rykov and I certainly did not tout him to be good.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Even if Rykov has 10% chance of becoming top pair d-man and 2nd round pick has 10% chance to become NHL top pair d-man/1st line fwd/starting goalie, it's still higher than our chance to make it to ECF this year and justify the trade.

I’m not sure the team needs to get that far to justify the trade. Getting Nico and Bratt into a winning mentality and showing some support to the vets who have overcome the doldrums of last year is justification enough for me. I think there are intangible benefits to the move for any player here after this season even if the team falters. We won’t really have a sense of it until we see if the team can attract a UFA it wants or if Hall agrees to a realistic extension when that window opens up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Him becoming a good player Herr and resigning justifies it

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Finally scored...the way Grabner usually does score, with good hand-eye near the net.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Him becoming a good player Herr and resigning justifies it
What kinda contract are you going to give a 31 year old, coming off 3 strong goal scoring years and probably has been under paid for a while who's game is almost 100% predicated on his speed.

That to me sounds like a good recipe for a bad contract.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
figures he scores the 6th goal in a 5-2 game but whatever i will take it.

he made a great play on the pk after the short handed goal that most likely saved a goal but that wont show up on the score sheet. he is a great addition even if he is streaky you just need that x factor

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
figures he scores the 6th goal in a 5-2 game but whatever i will take it.

he made a great play on the pk after the short handed goal that most likely saved a goal but that wont show up on the score sheet. he is a great addition even if he is streaky you just need that x factor

Good confidence booster for the guy ... hopefully he can spark things for us down the stretch. We're going to need some strong performances from him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What kinda contract are you going to give a 31 year old, coming off 3 strong goal scoring years and probably has been under paid for a while who's game is almost 100% predicated on his speed.

2 years 9 million.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Still made alot of bonehead plays but if he can utilize his speed like he did against Merrill, causing him to trip him or else he was gone.

He did make a couple of good plays offensively, so let's just hope this is the start of things to come.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I certainly would not exceed 3 years.

And for all his goals, he is a bottom 6 player, his assist totals are very low. He is a good PK guy, he does fit the team style, but I think Shero knows that Grab's is not at the point in his career at which he should get a big contract.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if the devils think after this season they are "quasi" serious contenders then you give him a 3 year deal. hes a nice complimentary piece that chips in a goal when you need it the most. granted it doesnt feel that way most times

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I certainly would not exceed 3 years.

And for all his goals, he is a bottom 6 player, his assist totals are very low. He is a good PK guy, he does fit the team style, but I think Shero knows that Grab's is not at the point in his career at which he should get a big contract.
He has been getting short term deals for a while. I would argue he is in a spot to get more stability with a pay day to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad