Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's not so much he thinks less of him as he thinks less of his chances of coming over here anytime soon.

I guess that makes sense. If we're aiming to compete in this, next, and two seasons from now, there's a reasonable chance that Rykov never makes a real contribution. But still, the kid can clearly play... I suppose I've had hopes for Rykov since we drafted him, it makes his hurt more. Especially to the goddamned Rangers.

But, again, Grabner is a good fit for us. This isn't a nothing return we're getting.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
You don't think it's too short sighted though giving up a 2nd and a top prospect?

Rags wouldn't make this deal if Rykov was staying in Russia

nah. the fact is the devils have a crazy amount of cap space. they can compensate for this loss.

rykov might not stay in russia but lets be honest. these prospects have a history of not panning out. even if he does good for them. the devils are focused on the now.

grabner signs an extension, devils sign a d to compensate for losing rykov.

he is not a prospect that would turn around the team. he could be replaced with a number of players. its a win win. rangers are taking a bit of a gamble but so are the devils.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Ill trust shero, Castron and co before I trust some of the geniuses spewing out hot takes here - DD leading that charge. How many times have any of you actually seen rykov play? Gonna go out on a limb and say barely, if at all.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
We arent in a position to trade a 2nd and a KHL player?

Get out of here with this crap. We drafted 20 times the last two drafts, if you think keeping a 2nd improves this team youre just .... whatever.
Might help mote than adding Grabner ultimately, yeah.

Or what? You think Grabner makes us a Cup contender?

You're just...whatever.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
I guess that makes sense. If we're aiming to compete in this, next, and two seasons from now, there's a reasonable chance that Rykov never makes a real contribution. But still, the kid can clearly play... I suppose I've had hopes for Rykov since we drafted him, it makes his hurt more. Especially to the goddamned Rangers.

But, again, Grabner is a good fit for us. This isn't a nothing return we're getting.

the fact that the deal is with the rags is what hurts. lets be honest tho..... the devils can replace rykov with the cap space they have. he is not the next karlsson. we are in good shape here and this is an odd win win between the rags and devs. both are gambling.

Reactions: Classic Devil

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People have been crapping on me about Shero keeping his end of the deal he made with Hall about making the playoffs and him becoming a leader - everyone assumed he will stay cause of his interviews yet this move is for a 30-year old UFA for futures - which is what Shero said he WOULDNT DO.

This is to get Hall and the team into the playoffs to keep him happy. Ill accept all apologies for ****ting on me for saying this for some time now.

When did Shero make a deal with Hall to get into the playoffs this year? This is pure conjecture.

But I do agree the move is puzzling cause Ray's been all about the process and lowering expectations of making big rental trades. This is at the very least a gamble that Grabner's not a rental.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Aside from the obvious "HOLY SHIT WE TRADED WITH THE RANGERS??!"

A 2nd and Rykov seems pretty steep. Grabner obviously has wheels but goes through long stretches of being a scrub.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
We arent in a position to trade a 2nd and a KHL player?

Get out of here with this crap. We drafted 20 times the last two drafts, if you think keeping a 2nd improves this team youre just .... whatever.

Rykov is our best defenseman prospect, not just some KHL player. Yes, he wouldn't come over for a few seasons anyway but he's still a very talented player and one we could have used.

Obviously short term is good for us but how much does Grabner push the envelope?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Aside from the obvious "HOLY **** WE TRADED WITH THE RANGERS??!"

A 2nd and Rykov seems pretty steep. Grabner obviously has wheels but goes through long stretches of being a scrub.
We basically paid more for Grabner than we did for Johansson, but we caught Washington in a moment of weakness while the Rangers were dealing from a position of strength.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I want to make the playoffs ... this guy should help. Hopefully they sign him long term. A buddy of mine feels Grabner has been under utilized for a while now ... not used on the powerplay, and never gets top 6 minutes. He might get a shot at both in NJ.

Reactions: Owenay and nugg

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t agree with the idea that we’re in no position to make this move. We didn’t move a 1st round pick. 2nd round picks are nice, but I’d rather have someone that helps us get to the playoffs. It’s been too long.

Reactions: nugg

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
People LOVE Rykov? He played in the KHL/VHL. How attached could you possibly be? Grabner is a known quantity IN the NHL. It's not cheap, a second and a prospect, but like Rico, you got to give to get. This does help the bottom 6 which is just not contributing at all, but man who knows what that second or Rykov might be.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I want to make the playoffs ... this guy should help. Hopefully they sign him long term. A buddy of mine feels Grabner has been under utilized for a while now ... not used on the powerplay, and never gets top 6 minutes. He might get a shot at both in NJ.

I'm already getting PTSD imagining Grabner on the second PP unit while we still have Boyle/Zajac/Hayes on the first one.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't agree with this. Our positional depth at D isn't great prospect-wise, but Rykov is about as far from the NHL as Reilly Walsh, given his KHL contract status.
Forget Rykov, I'm speaking from where are on the arc of competing. For me, I was always a stand pat this season guy. We aren't contending, and if we were going to make this type of move, Grabner wouldn't be the guy I target.

Listen, this isn't torpedoing us. It's just not a move I think moves the needle enough for me to support. I'd sooner keep both assets and see where we are next season.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Rykov was a zero value asset if he had no intention of ever joining us, money is no object for SKA so tempting him away from the KHL was always going to be difficult.

Tampa Bay practically gave Nikita Gusev to Vegas during the expansion draft, if they have no intention of ever joining your team including them in a deal is meaningless. The Rangers may have a better shot at signing him because of Buchnevich & Shestyorkin.

Reactions: Owenay

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
Rykov is our best defenseman prospect, not just some KHL player. Yes, he wouldn't come over for a few seasons anyway but he's still a very talented player and one we could have used.

Obviously short term is good for us but how much does Grabner push the envelope?

shero is banking on a bunch. this is a win now move for the devils. say what you want but i love the confidence from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad