Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah you guys have seen Grabs to know how effective he is. Any input on the prospect coming our way?

He's a huge wild card. He's got a lot of potential, but at least from a NA fan, it's hard to really know what's there and when and if he comes over.

I think the Rangers could've gotten better prospects than him, but I think Rykov is more of a gamble for them. Looking for the guy with the highest upside and hope he can reach it rather than the 'safer' prospect.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
You have to be thinking of resigning him right? He is 30 currently. Would he take a 3 year deal?

2-3 years at ~2.5-3 million seems about right for Grabner, he’ll fit out style of play well (insane speed, fantastic PKer & scores goals). Gives us some depth on the RW and takes the pressure off Bratt a little bit, I like this move for us.

TheFacePainter

Nov 12, 2017
I've thought for a while that Grabner would be a perfect fit for the team. Never expected that we'd trade with the Rangers though and also thought he'd be too expensive as a UFA. I will admit I don't know much about prospects, but I hope he stays in Russia now

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah you guys have seen Grabs to know how effective he is. Any input on the prospect coming our way?

A young, promising D prospect that scouts say good things about. I don't see him play, his numbers are whatever but he gets good reports, the caveat being who knows if he ever leaves Russia?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Considering the market, we just landed a 30 goal scorer and PK threat for a song. Shero did well here, especially if he has a verbal agreement in place for an extension with Grabner.

How would that happen? Unless the Rangers somehow agreed to let him negotiate with Grabner, I'm not even sure if that's legal though.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I know it’s been a struggle all year but with a healthy forward lineup the Devils will make the transition game a track meet.

It will be very difficult for any opponents to hide slower skaters.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Just spitballing, is there ANY chance Shero sees Grabner as a guy he wants to sign beyond this year?

I’d think he would want to sign him, don’t see Shero giving up a 2nd for a rental unless given their current playoff position and the mild possibility we don’t make it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
You love a guy who MIGHT come over in two years?

He is a very good LHD defenseman prospect. Obviously there's a risk that he may not come over, but is Grabner worth it? How far does he push us this season, and if Shero re-signs him the next few seasons? I'm not sure. But Rykov could have been a real solid Dman for us if he came over in a few seasons.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
He actually is your best d prospect. However it's a good pickup for the playoffs

we did our thing with the D by moving rico. its not perfect but the O has been the problem since due to injuries. if he pans out whatever...... devs have cap space to compensate. he is not a blue chipper. hes far from it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He is a very good LHD defenseman prospect. Obviously there's a risk that he may not come over, but is Grabner worth it? How far does he push us this season, and if Shero re-signs him the next few seasons? I'm not sure. But Rykov could have been a real solid Dman for us if he came over in a few seasons.

Could and If while Grabner is a legit NHLer who is here and will help us now. I liked Rykov too and was kinda shocked when I saw him going the other way but I don’t think this is that bad for us.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Good move, helps us now in an area that needs it. Im sure shero drafts another good d prospect, no loss there

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He actually is your best d prospect. However it's a good pickup for the playoffs

Assuming we make it...that's the danger with rental players when you're a bubble team. Then again if you're not a bubble team you might only be getting rental players for one playoff series.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've always liked Grabner and said it was a shrewd signing by the Rags before last season even though my bud @Bleedred vehemently disagreed.

But I think we paid too steep a price and it must signal that Mojo is done for the season.

It will sicken us when Rykov comes over and is a top or 2nd pairing on the Rags.

Feels like a panic trade, hope I feel better about it in a few weeks.

Reactions: Bleedred

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Everyone seems to be on the same page here. Hate to lose Rykov even though he is the ultimate wild card but this team deserves to go for it being this close to the playoffs this late in the season.

Shero has done nothing but win trades since he’s been here, just have to trust him. With that said I think there is a 95% chance Grabner resigns here.

Wood Zacha Grabner

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Thing is that it takes forever to develop a D (see Severson, Santini, Butcher, etc.). Even when teams hit on a Werenski or McAvoy type that makes the jump early, there's still a long rough patch to go through.

We'll see. Hope Rykov loves that KHL money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->