Grabner or Tlusty ?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Grabner more offensive minded. You can expect him to score more goals.

Tlusty. Can score but also good two-way player.

Both players are flashy, fast and very valuable prospects for their teams.

I'm a Leafs fan and I'm very happy to have Tlusty.

True North

Jan 10, 2006
Vancouver
Grabner more offensive minded. You can expect him to score more goals.

Tlusty. Can score but also good two-way player.

Both players are flashy, fast and very valuable prospects for their teams.

I'm a Leafs fan and I'm very happy to have Tlusty.

You hit the nail on the head, and as a Canucks fan I'm very happy to have Grabner. We are desperate for offensive prospects and Grabner is the epitome of a goal-scoring winger. The Canucks have plenty of two-way forwards.

In terms of skill-set and potential, I think they're both pretty similar. I think Tlusty is a more of a sure-fire prospect whereas Grabner is a bit of a risk, but has a slightly higher ceiling.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I don't think they're all that similar. Tlusty is already a complete two-way forward who still has time to further improve his offense. Grabner is all goals, goals, goals but has a higher bust potential. Depends on what your system needs, and the Canucks are in desperate need of goals, goals, goals.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Think of them as Thornton and Cheechoo. Tlusty will primarily set 'em up while getting a few himself. Grabner will primarily knock 'em home assisting on a few also.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Tlustly just screams Rucinsky to me for some reason. I really really didn't want Vancouver to pick him and was nervous since he was in our range.

I'm happy with Grabs though, 5g,1a in 2gp since he's back from injury. Kid is impressive.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Tlustly just screams Rucinsky to me for some reason. I really really didn't want Vancouver to pick him and was nervous since he was in our range.

I'm happy with Grabs though, 5g,1a in 2gp since he's back from injury. Kid is impressive.

I live in Spokane and I've seen Grabner from day 1; he's been sensational ever since I first saw him in the pre-season scrimmages his rookie season. His stats that year cannot tell you how talented he is, because he had nagging injuries that year. Last year, we all know what he did after the prospects game, but even before that you could see it in him, he was just a standout. This season has been his best though, every game he's played in he's been the best player, with the exception of the 2 or 3 games before he sat out with his injury, but you could tell his leg was bothering him. He's also added a bit of a physical presence to his game, throwing open ice hits left and right, he was even the main reason for a line brawl early in the season after a massive hit on a Kamloops player.

I would take Grabby as a Jacket prospect any day of the week, I would certainly compare him alot to Martin Havlat.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I live in Spokane and I've seen Grabner from day 1; he's been sensational ever since I first saw him in the pre-season scrimmages his rookie season. His stats that year cannot tell you how talented he is, because he had nagging injuries that year. Last year, we all know what he did after the prospects game, but even before that you could see it in him, he was just a standout. This season has been his best though, every game he's played in he's been the best player, with the exception of the 2 or 3 games before he sat out with his injury, but you could tell his leg was bothering him. He's also added a bit of a physical presence to his game, throwing open ice hits left and right, he was even the main reason for a line brawl early in the season after a massive hit on a Kamloops player.

I would take Grabby as a Jacket prospect any day of the week, I would certainly compare him alot to Martin Havlat.

Comparing him to Havlat is not that far off but the only thing I'd add to that is that only Grabner's offensive skill can be compared to Havlat. Many of us dont know but Havlat is also a very capable two-way forward, one of the most talented players out there. Grabner, at this moment is not very good on the defensive side. He needs work on that, and there is plenty of time for him to work because his offense is really good.
Tlusty has been compared by many to a Patrick Elias/Marion Hossa type talent. This is only what I've read, as I've only seen Tlusty on one occasion. All I know is that he's fast, flasy, and uses his stick efficiently on offense (stickhandling), and defense.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Tlusty

Grabner has a high bust potential given that if hes not scoring hes pretty much useless.

Tlusty is a more complete player who if hes not scoring will be doing other things to help his team win games.

Both can and will be successful if they do what they are capabale of at the next level and they will both be very good nhl'ers if they do that.

DreamCatcher*

Tlusty

Grabner has a high bust potential given that if hes not scoring hes pretty much useless.

Tlusty is a more complete player who if hes not scoring will be doing other things to help his team win games.

Both can and will be successful if they do what they are capabale of at the next level and they will both be very good nhl'ers if they do that.

you know whats funny, is that you don't know crap about Grabner but your just making an assumption since Tlusty is your homer pick. If you didn't know, Grabner plays on PK as well and has had a few SH goals.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If you're not comparing Grabner to Havlat at the same age, who would you compare him to? He may not be an established penalty killer, but he's also more than just a goal scorer, maybe if he played on a team with someone else who could score goals, he would put up more assists and points. I've seen the kid make 65 foot backhand passes tape to tape. Give him some time, you can teach a kid to play defense, but you can't teach a kid the skills that Grabby has.

DreamCatcher*

19 goals in 24 games! Compare that to the highest goal scorer who has 26 goals in 39 games.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Tlusty is injured right now. But I'm sure happy Toronto drafted him.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Grabner scored 2 more goals tonight, now 7 goals in his last 3 games :amazed: He had a slow start because of an injury but he's the hottest player in the dub now that's he's healthy.

They were beauties too, the first one was a one-timer from the top of the right circle that he whipped over the stick-hand shoulder of Chet Pickard. The second was an unassisted goal in which he took the puck from a defenders' skate and wristed it high under the bar all in one motion.

And get this - he was the first star of the game but said that he was disappointed in himself because he felt he could've done a little better on his shootout chance. The guy wants to win at any cost, he wants to be the guy that carries his team.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
he still has a good shot at cracking 50 goals and winning the goal scoring title
at currend projections grabs is on pace for 48 in 59 games while nixon and hogg are on pace for 49 in 72 games

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think it's hard to judge the talent of the two as we have already seen what Grabner can do, but have yet to see what Tlusty can accomplish. He almost made the Leafs roster out of camp I remember. I hope Tlusty comes back strong off his injury, I was upset that he wasn't able to participate in the World Juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->