Gotta love assumptions. (NHL steroid use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Bullsh!t.

One third? No way. Where did this guy come up with that number, did he pick it out of a hat?

I'm not buying it...I'd need to see some evidence, and he convieniently has none.

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
RSBPC said:
Bullsh!t.

One third? No way. Where did this guy come up with that number, did he pick it out of a hat?

I'm not buying it...I'd need to see some evidence, and he convieniently has none.

Exactly. Where is this coming from? Is there anyone that you can think of off the top of your head that might be using steroids? I certainly can't think of anyone. I can't think of a single player who dominates/controls the game in the same way that Bonds controls an at-bat. I know it's a tough comparison to make, but I don't see any validity to the claim "one-third."

As a side note, did anyone catch his name? DICK POUND. :biglaugh:

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
The guy obviously has no idea what he's talking about. He's speculating based on other leagues that have had a steroid problem. And how he compared the NHL's steroid policy to baseball's scraps is ridiculous. It's almost the same relative to baseball when you consider they play double the games. What a moron.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
The only way that is even remotely close is if he is including stimulants as "steroids". As far as actual steroids, I`d be surprised if 5% have taken them.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Why do so many think that steroids don't "fit" the NHL? Strength. Speed. Explosiveness. Aggressiveness. Everything a steroid provides is a benefit in hockey.

I have no doubt that a significant portion of NHL'er use of have used steroids. Same as every other sport.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
PecaFan said:
Why do so many think that steroids don't "fit" the NHL? Strength. Speed. Explosiveness. Aggressiveness. Everything a steroid provides is a benefit in hockey.

I have no doubt that a significant portion of NHL'er use of have used steroids. Same as every other sport.

Every side effect of steroids also messes up the stuff you need for hockey.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Maybe 1/3rd of all defenseman and goons. But across the league with that percentage?!? I'd be shocked.

RTWAP*

PecaFan said:

It's anecdotal but early in Alfredsson's career he hit the gym really hard all offseason and came to camp with super strong legs (legitimately, I assume). He had a very poor year due to injury. The explanation at the time was that hockey puts strain on inner leg ligaments (the groin) that cannot handle huge strains.

Pushing sideways with your leg is just not a natural motion. Bulking up too much just causes injury.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
For those that dont know, roids are hell on your wind. I think the only people who really take them in hockey are enforcers.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Reaper45 said:
For those that dont know, roids are hell on your wind. I think the only people who really take them in hockey are enforcers.

So baseball and football don't require wind? Or any of the million Olympic sports where contestants routinely take steroids?

fulk hogan

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Why would anyone so uneducated about steroids comment either way? BTW, I'm not talking about anyone in that article. I've seen so many misconceptions about steroids on these boards, past and present.

Where have you heard such nonsense? A link would be appreciated.

The reason so few believe that hockey players take steroids is because underground things like to stay underground. If you don't personally know anyone who has done steroids for a proper cycle (rather than someone who has simply popped some andro upon advice from the local meathead at the gym), why are you playing internet soapbox master and even commenting? Can anyone who's commented that the real numbers concerning steroid use in the NHL is lower than what was mentioned in the article even name more than 2 steroids? Steroids can be used to prevent muscle loss from a long and body-abusing hockey season where catabolic hormones are running high.

All that aside, Sudafed could be considered a 'performance enhancing drug' and hockey players were known to take it before games since the pseudoephedrine peps them up. That would push the percentage of steroid use down (as compared to the 1/3 of players using performance enhancing drugs which was mentioned, although I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the steroid use itself was that high), but it is still a lot more prevalent than you think.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
PecaFan said:
So baseball and football don't require wind? Or any of the million Olympic sports where contestants routinely take steroids?
Football you do, but 9 times out of 10 it's the lineman taking roids, you dont need your wind as much as you do strength in the pit.

Baseball, how much running do you do in baseball? Is it comparable to either of those sports? Not even close.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
hooty mcboobs said:
Why would anyone so uneducated about steroids comment either way? BTW, I'm not talking about anyone in that article. I've seen so many misconceptions about steroids on these boards, past and present.

Where have you heard such nonsense? A link would be appreciated.

The reason so few believe that hockey players take steroids is because underground things like to stay underground. If you don't personally know anyone who has done steroids for a proper cycle (rather than someone who has simply popped some andro upon advice from the local meathead at the gym), why are you playing internet soapbox master and even commenting? Can anyone who's commented that the real numbers concerning steroid use in the NHL is lower than what was mentioned in the article even name more than 2 steroids? Steroids can be used to prevent muscle loss from a long and body-abusing hockey season where catabolic hormones are running high.

All that aside, Sudafed could be considered a 'performance enhancing drug' and hockey players were known to take it before games since the pseudoephedrine peps them up. That would push the percentage of steroid use down (as compared to the 1/3 of players using performance enhancing drugs which was mentioned, although I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the steroid use itself was that high), but it is still a lot more prevalent than you think.
Nonsense? You believe it's nonsense because I dont provide a link. It's from personal experience. I played semi pro football for 3 years to top off college and high school, and I've seen it plenty of times before. After playing I got into bodybuilding. Same thing there. How many bodybuilders do you know? Dont believe me, then fine, but trust me, I've heard first hand how much it affects your wind.

Also about the enforcers part. Peters admitted to using Andro. Kip Brennan was supposedly traded from L.A. for taking steroids.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Id be surprised if it was less than half seeing as there were zero testing procedures before the lockout.

US sports have encouraged steroid abuse for years with the NFL, baseball, olympic sports. Why should hockey be any different seeing as steroids would be a massive benefit?

Jazz

Steve L said:
Id be surprised if it was less than half seeing as there were zero testing procedures before the lockout.

US sports have encouraged steroid abuse for years with the NFL, baseball, olympic sports. Why should hockey be any different seeing as steroids would be a massive benefit?

I will only debate your very last sentance - steriods will not bring a "massive" benefit to hockey players - for finesse players, the additional bulkyness would actually slow them down. :teach:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
1/3

Pound's 1/3 number has to include stimulants. Given the physical nature of hockey, travel, and length of season, it wouldn't surprise me that a percentage of players take some form of stimulant to get through the season.

I would also assume that Pound is using the Olympic standard of testing, which bans a certain forms of Sudafed/cold medication.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Evilo said:
If I had to guess, I'd guess around the same number as him.

Me too. If not even higher.

And when it comes to questions about doping, I'd trust Wada a million times over before I'd trust Bill Daly.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
txomisc said:
i dont usually do things like this but here goes...
Worst. Parents. Ever.

Damn you.

Damn you to Hell.

Well, at least the surname and given name weren't reversed.

And, at least his last name wasn't Pounder.

That would be a serious Gaylord Fokker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad