News Article: "Gordie Howe, Fighting Saints, beer-soaked meal money: How the WHA changed the NHL for the better" -- some interesting Winnipeg Jets hockey history

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Article in The Athletic with some interesting WHA Jets hockey history, not sure where else to post it. Some excerpts:

Rogers believes the line of Nilsson-Hedberg-Hull wasn’t just dominant in the WHA but might have been the best line in all of hockey.

“But people didn’t see it that way,” Rogers says. “They thought, ‘It’s just the WHA’ and ‘Bobby’s getting on in years.’ But the numbers they put up and the way they dominated games, was special.”

And in Garrett’s mind, the WHA Jets eventually became the model for the NHL Oilers and the dynasty that Glen Sather built, which produced five Stanley Cup championships in a seven-year span from 1984 to 1990.

“I think that’s where Glen Sather got the idea to play Paul Coffey with Gretzky all the time and he’s going to be like a fourth forward,” Garrett says. “Because that’s what Winnipeg did with Nilsson, Hull and Hedberg, they had Lars-Erik Sjoberg with them. We used to call it the Winnipeg weave because there was absolutely no dump-and-chase. They’d just circle around and pass and pass and pass and then enter the zone in control.

“We played them in the playoffs one year when I was in Birmingham. That was the year they won the Avco Cup and only lost one game in the playoffs. And they lost it to us. I was so proud of that win because that Winnipeg team could have competed in the NHL right then and there.”

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think there was much question that the WHA teams could have competed in the NHL. The players were mostly interchangeable, not to mention that quite a few NHL teams in those days were really, really bad. The WHA teams did fine in the exhibition games that were played. It's important to distinguish between the first couple of years of the WHA, when scoring was definitely somewhat inflated and the rest of the league's history, when it had matured a bit. And it wasn't all the Jets, either: Houston Aeros were an excellent team that were Habs-like in their dominance around 1973-76. Although not as flashy as the Jets they were more disciplined and had the WHA's best defence and goaltending in their prime.

Reactions: macmaroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad