Gord Miller should check his facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Westcoasthabsfan said:
I counted at least five times he mentioned that Carter had a natural hat-trick but the definition of a natural hat-trick is three goals in a row not three in a period. How could he forget Big Shawn Belles goal sandwiched in between Carters Trick

I belevie a natural trick is one in each period.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
As far as I know a natural hat-trick is three in a row by a player. Much like Ruzicka's last night, at least the TSN pair called it a natural hat-trick last night.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
Dictionary definition: A hat trick in which three goals are scored in succession by one player in one game.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
I'd give Gord Miller a break... He's worked 4 games in the past 2 days. The World Juniors has always had a schedule full of many games in not many days... Its tough for the players and broadcasters.

.... Plus he has to be around Pierre McGuire for 2 straight weeks. That cant be easy for anyone. (I actually like McGuire though, unlike alot people)

Last edited:

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Sparepart said:
I'd give Gord Miller a break... He's worked 4 games in the past 2 days. The World Juniors has always had a schedule full of many games in not many days... Its tough for the players and broadcasters.

.... Plus he has to be around Pierre McGuire for 2 straight weeks. That cant be easy for anyone. (I actually like McGuire though, unlike alot people)

LOL good one....

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
What's with McGuire bashing? The guy makes a game lively. He's paid to be dynamic. You prefer a somnolent Harry Neale??? Come on! You guys should try the job first before criticizing McGuire. He's pretty good, in fact. Dynamic. Should be on CBC, instead of Neale. ZZZZZZZZZZZ....

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Westcoasthabsfan said:
I counted at least five times he mentioned that Carter had a natural hat-trick but the definition of a natural hat-trick is three goals in a row not three in a period. How could he forget Big Shawn Belles goal sandwiched in between Carters Trick
That is pretty petty, you should be thankfull that TSN is covering all these games. In years past it was only Canada.

turnbuckle*

I must say I get rather annoyed by the nitpicking on this board when it comes to Gord and Pierre. IMO they're the best play by play tandem going in hockey.

This isn't schmoozing just because Gord has taken the time to join this webboard - I took radio/TV broadcasting (as I'm sure Gord did) in the mid 1980's, but I soon discovered that I pretty much sucked in front of a camera due to a silly afflication commonly known as "self consciousness". I think it was more of a lack of confidence than anything, so I transferred to the journalism program, where my spontaneity could be edited.

Anyway; broadcasting isn't as easy as some would suggest - of course there are going to be slipups - the odd malaprop, misinformation, whatever, but I must say that Pierre and Gord are as informed as any hockey broadcasters going, especially when it comes to researched facts. It's refreshing to hear a pair that quite obviously hang out together at least occasionally away from the microphones. and have some chemistry between them.

That being said, one of my pet peeves since becoming a "journalist" is redundancy, and I must admit that Pierre has a tendency of overstressing his point.

- Pierre - we get it about Montoya - he's underachieving. If he starts breaking his graphite sticks whilst attempting two-line passes, I hope one cancels the other out, and you let it slide, he he.

I used to enjoy Pierre's 20-minute radio gig on The Team Ottawa when the guys tried to stump Pierre with a question "Pierre Knows Everything", usually involving current events. The SOB usually got the answer right. There's no doubt that he lives life to the fullest, and would be an excellent dinnermate anywhere in North America. The SOB knows every good dining joint from Boston Bar City to Bangor.

Let's enjoy these moments fellow Canadians; 20 years from now these guys are going to referred to as broadcasting legends, and many of the present-day nitpickers will wax eloquently about having been a part of the culture.

leafaholix*

I cannot believe the dislike for Pierre McGuire.

First, let me say that he makes the games exciting... secondly, let me thank TSN for keeping Pierre and making sure Loubardias stays away from the play by play. Thank God Sportsnet doesn't broadcast these games... I would commit suicide.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
A natural hat trick is 3 evenly scored goals without any being on the powerplay or empty net. It doesn't have to be in the same period and it can be in overtime.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I will quibble abit here. I feel the current era of Canadian on-air broadcasting talent is very weak. Miller is passible and thank goodness has improved since his coronation to the 'big chair.' Glad especially that he no longer growls 'he scorrrres.' He does seem like a nice guy, but sorry, Miller is hardly hall of fame material.

Throw in the current stable of Sportsnet broadcasters and this is the weakest talent ever. As someone mentioned, thank goodness Peter Loubardious is relegated to CHL junior games. There just isn't anyone around with the classic pipes like old schoolers Dan Kelly, Danny Gallivan, and the like. Bob Cole is on his last legs and will be missed.

Now, in defense of Pierre Maguire, he is simply the best colour-man around. Sure he may overstate his point but this guy knows the game, loves the game, and communicates it with unbridled enthusiasm. He even actually offers strong opinions which is all too lacking in hockey. Pierre Maguire is my broadcast monster.

leafaholix*

Behind Enemy Lines said:
I will quibble abit here. I feel the current era of Canadian on-air broadcasting talent is very weak. Miller is passible and thank goodness has improved since his coronation to the 'big chair.' Glad especially that he no longer growls 'he scorrrres.' He does seem like a nice guy, but sorry, Miller is hardly hall of fame material.
Nobody said he was hall of fame material. The guy knows his stuff and is a hell of a lot better than some of the other options out there.

Throw in the current stable of Sportsnet broadcasters and this is the weakest talent ever. As someone mentioned, thank goodness Peter Loubardious is relegated to CHL junior games. There just isn't anyone around with the classic pipes like old schoolers Dan Kelly, Danny Gallivan, and the like. Bob Cole is on his last legs and will be missed.
I cannot stand the CHL and some of the AHL games on Sportsnet, I often mute the TV.

(though I do appreciate his efforts and his love for the game)

Now, in defense of Pierre Maguire, he is simply the best colour-man around. Sure he may overstate his point but this guy knows the game, loves the game, and communicates it with unbridled enthusiasm. He even actually offers strong opinions which is all too lacking in hockey. Pierre Maguire is my broadcast monster.
He is a monster. The guy's a character and I love his enthusiasm and love for the details of the game. Just curious, does anyone know where the guy's from?

Is it Montreal or New Jersey?

I know he was born in NJ, but he's got the French-Canadian accent when pronouncing some of the names like Jacques Martin.

BCCHL inactive

I think Pierre should be earning three salaries for this tournament...

1. TSN colour commentator.
2. Repeating, "The NHL needs to get rid of the two-line pass".
3. Ripping Montoya.

:p: :D

I've changed my email address since Gord Miller last sent me an email about Pierre McGuire. :lol :p:

Seriously though, I've enjoyed this tournament from all aspects. It really helps having a 48" TV at work. :yo:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
A natural hat trick is when a player scores three goals in a game, in a row. That is to say that no other player on either team scores in between.

from nhl.com @ http://nhl.com/nhlhq/faq/trivia.html

fact is, i thought a natural hat trick was three goals in a period too. this is how it's always been referred for as long as i can remember. i've learned something here !!!

:)

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Just curious, does anyone know where the guy's from?

Is it Montreal or New Jersey?

I know he was born in NJ, but he's got the French-Canadian accent when pronouncing some of the names like Jacques Martin.

He's from Montreal. Still owns a house in Montreal even though he works in Toronto, he visits Montreal all the time during the season though.

Pierre was the habs colour commentator on CJAD for a few years until TSN noticed his work. Pierre is a habs fan, though he makes it a point to be as unbiased as possible when it comes to them (he overdoes it sometimes with his criticisms) so when I heard him praise Kostitsyn on his play the other night I was very pleased, considering the number of habs players & prospects pierre has slammed in the past.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Alexander Steen said:
I cannot believe the dislike for Pierre McGuire.

First, let me say that he makes the games exciting... secondly, let me thank TSN for keeping Pierre and making sure Loubardias stays away from the play by play. Thank God Sportsnet doesn't broadcast these games... I would commit suicide.

Jim Hughson is an awesome PBP guy and he would be doing something as high profile as this, not Loubardias. It's a shame they partner him with the obnoxious John Garrett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->