OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Marsch's moves puzzle me. Royer, our second best offensive player, goes down early in the game.... so Marsch puts on Muyl who is a black hole of suck. It was a HUGE defensive downgrade. Veron should have been put on absolutely.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Blowing a late lead on the road at a rival. That's a hard loss. More so with the stupidity of that putrid defender Zisso Sizzo? What ever his name is.

But giving up 2 goals in the last 20 minutes of the match is just...that's why the team sucks ass on the road.

Does anyone know what happened with the supporter groups? Whoever runs the Viking Army Twitter had himself a little meltdown last night after the game.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Some thoughts...

That field is unbelievable. Every time I watch a game there, I am appalled that they are even allowed to play. All of the spaces are so small and tight. There is no room to switch fields, all of the angles are different. It especially affected us in the 3-5-2-1, there were times when Adams and Lawrence were both standing on opposite end lines trying to space out as far as possible. Barely any room for overlapping runs. Not to mention the different surfaces and the amount of times players slipped on the grass.

The defense? You cannot have a back 3 of Zizzo (a fringe MLS midfielder who has been forced to play RB, and now has been forced to play CB), Long (who has been decent this year but is still young and inexperienced, and looked nervous and uncomfortable yesterday.) and Perinelle (who is slow and injury prone, and is not a good distributor of the ball – see first goal.)

Collin is clearly the best defender on the team, they need him back if they have any chance. Robles should have had that save on the 2nd goal. Adams had his worst game in a while IMO. I think he struggled on the small field as it seemed all of his angles were off. BWP is an absolute legend. I didn't like the Muyl for Royer sub. I think we needed someone more offensive minded. Put Veron in there, at least you know he will spread the field/draw attention from defenders.

All in all, I am not too worried. Aside from a few personal errors, the team played well. With a healthy lineup on a real field it would be a lot different.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Not only is it the worst playing surface in MLS, it might be the worst playing surface in North American major professional sports. Like, worse than FedExField like ten years ago. Or like Tropicana Field or Rogers Centre before they redid the turf.

It's also had an effect on the Yankees' diamond (they simplified the angles in the dirt) and has degraded the outfield, which, as a Yankees/Red Bulls fan who's been going to Yankee Stadium years before all those NYCFC mooks with Mets hats on, ****ing infuriates me to no end.

Build your stadium in Yonkers already and get the **** out.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Blowing a late lead on the road at a rival. That's a hard loss. More so with the stupidity of that putrid defender Zisso Sizzo? What ever his name is.

But giving up 2 goals in the last 20 minutes of the match is just...that's why the team sucks ass on the road.

Does anyone know what happened with the supporter groups? Whoever runs the Viking Army Twitter had himself a little meltdown last night after the game.

I wasn't there but apparently security wanted everyone to leave right away instead of waiting the standard 25 mins or so until the rest of the crowds cleared out.

This is the first time I didn't go there for the game and to be honest I won't go back unless it's an elimination game of some nature. I absolutely hate taking public transportation and to get out there for me even by public transportation takes forever.

I'm a get in and watch the game and get out as soon as possible fan, I don't like making games into an all day affair and for the 3 games I've seen there that's how it was. Add that to the miserable traffic and lack of parking at Yankee Stadium I decided to pass on this one.

Honestly none of the teams around us are worth going to watch games at for the regular season at this point. Philly sticks the supporters in the direct sun and traffic getting in and out of there sucks and you can't even go eat anywhere cause it's Chester. DC you can have something fall on you cause the place is legit falling apart. New England is an awful field with a horrendous atmosphere and also terrible traffic since it's one way in and one way out.

I just have no desire to go watch a game in any of these awful places anymore unless it's the playoffs, open cup or a shield clincher.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Here's what happened to cause Amanda (Viking Army board member and NJD season ticket holder) to go crazy:

It's no secret that there has been a bit of violence between supporters from each team in the first few years of this rivalry. Most notably some riots outside Yankee Stadium caused by the NYCFC Front Office and NYPD blowing off Red Bull fans at meeting points and leaving us to get attacked.

The plan for the end of the match was for the Red Bull supporters to be held for at least 25 minutes to let the City fans leave and get to the Subway so when we got outside we wouldn't be so surrounded by blue.

At the 90th minute I was so pissed off, I and the people I came with walked towards the elevators. The security guy at the elevator said he was told not to let anyone leave. A few more RB fans came over and tried to leave and complained when the elevators were being held downstairs.

An NYCFC FO person came over and literally said "F it, let em go" and we were allowed to leave right when the game end, mixing all of the fans outside the stadium which was the exact thing that was supposed to be prevented.

Thankfully other than some verbal BS and gloating from the blue fans (which they are allowed to do as they have put together a few wins against us) nothing bad happened.... but that's not the point. Bad stuff HAS happened and will happen again so the least security and the FO can do is follow the ingress and egress plans.

Last time the NYCFC/NYPD blew us off, we had glass bottles and smoke bombs thrown at us as we exited the subway, the cops showed up late and thought we were the aggressors and started pepper spraying Red Bull fans and tackling them.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
If people want to leave they should be allowed to leave, I've always hated that factor when going to road games, it's not like you can't buy a ticket and sit wherever you like anyway. Nothing was worse than the Columbus road playoff game a few years ago when they held us for close to an hour, I was driving straight home after the game and that's the first time I ever really yelled at anyone at these games cause it was beyond ridiculous.

Personally for road games in situations like that I'm just going to wear neutral colors so I can get the hell out of there right away if I need to.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If people want to leave they should be allowed to leave, I've always hated that factor when going to road games, it's not like you can't buy a ticket and sit wherever you like anyway. Nothing was worse than the Columbus road playoff game a few years ago when they held us for close to an hour, I was driving straight home after the game and that's the first time I ever really yelled at anyone at these games cause it was beyond ridiculous.

Personally for road games in situations like that I'm just going to wear neutral colors so I can get the hell out of there right away if I need to.

Not to mention it was 10 degrees. We were all driving straight home that night. We got home at 6 am and went right to work. Ugh NEVER AGAIN.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not to mention it was 10 degrees. We were all driving straight home that night. We got home at 6 am and went right to work. Ugh NEVER AGAIN.

I drove myself at least, there was no way I was taking a bus but I was pissed they blocked us in, I was going to leave as soon as the whistle was blown but they locked us in. Next time in a situation like that I'll already be standing on the concourse. Stuff like this is another reason I have no desire to travel for regular season games anymore.

I use to travel a lot for the Devils as well but I honestly stopped doing that once I got an HDTV for the 06 season. I just don't find it fun anymore, I'd rather be home on the couch than have to deal to with stupid people at road games. At least with the red bulls away games you don't have to be near any of the away teams fans and that's one of the reasons I still even go at all.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Here's the best thing from the game: The third fail literally plagiarized their tifo (Both the idea and execution of the idea) from a shirt put out by the Sons of Ben a few years back. Just when I think their fans couldn't be a bigger joke they go out and do that.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I drove myself at least, there was no way I was taking a bus but I was pissed they blocked us in, I was going to leave as soon as the whistle was blown but they locked us in. Next time in a situation like that I'll already be standing on the concourse. Stuff like this is another reason I have no desire to travel for regular season games anymore.

I use to travel a lot for the Devils as well but I honestly stopped doing that once I got an HDTV for the 06 season. I just don't find it fun anymore, I'd rather be home on the couch than have to deal to with stupid people at road games. At least with the red bulls away games you don't have to be near any of the away teams fans and that's one of the reasons I still even go at all.

Yeah travelling for soccer is so much better than hockey.... but yeah it sucks to be caged in like that... but it's the norm.

My fiance and I usually try to sneak out before the 90 minute mark. In Montreal in June we were down 1-0 in the 88th minute and we walked out and got an Uber. They ended up holding our supporters a half hour. They were still in the stadium by the time we got back to the hotel.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I was there as well. Their Barney Fife security was ridiculous. Best part was when one of the Columbus cosplay hooligans comes into our section and the woman doing security just stood there and laughed. Of course when our fans went after the guy she fled in the opposite direction.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I was there as well. Their Barney Fife security was ridiculous. Best part was when one of the Columbus cosplay hooligans comes into our section and the woman doing security just stood there and laughed. Of course when our fans went after the guy she fled in the opposite direction.

On Sunday, NYPD and Securitas let a kid in an NYCFC jersey come into one of our sections and start flipping everyone off and taunting and cursing at us. As soon as we respond and go after him, THEN The cops do their jobs.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
seriously nycfc is a ****ing disgrace to such an important venue in world sport.
Look up info on their awful human rights abusing part owner. The fact that the Yankees partnered with them is the real disgrace, as was the fact that far few people in the media had the courage to say anything.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The defense? You cannot have a back 3 of Zizzo (a fringe MLS midfielder who has been forced to play RB, and now has been forced to play CB), Long (who has been decent this year but is still young and inexperienced, and looked nervous and uncomfortable yesterday.) and Perinelle (who is slow and injury prone, and is not a good distributor of the ball – see first goal.)

Collin is clearly the best defender on the team, they need him back if they have any chance. Robles should have had that save on the 2nd goal. Adams had his worst game in a while IMO. I think he struggled on the small field as it seemed all of his angles were off. BWP is an absolute legend. I didn't like the Muyl for Royer sub. I think we needed someone more offensive minded. Put Veron in there, at least you know he will spread the field/draw attention from defenders.

The defense is awful to begin with. They've just been trying to cover it up by being hyper aggressive and forcing the play defensively with this new formation. It worked against lesser competition with Murillo playing the outside CB roles. But instead of committing to playing that way, they tried to take the safer route against a more potent NYCFC attack with Zizzo-Long-Perrinelle in the back and it clashed with how they need to play with this formation.

Lawrence looked out of sync in the wingback position, which is understandable, and Adams hasn't looked strong in a more defensive role either, but he's been passable with the lesser competition. Adams and Perrinelle on the same side didn't help anything either.

If they're going to commit to this 3-5-1-2 aggressive formation, they're best off keeping Long as the central CB and then just rotating Lawrence, Murillo, and Zizzo as the outside backs with Muyl, Adams, Lawrence, and Murillo also rotating as the wingbacks. The further back Muyl plays the better and the further up Adams plays the better.
BWP
Davis - Klejstan - Royer/Veron
Lawrence - Felipe - Muyl/Adams
Murillo - Long - Zizzo

W

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
On Sunday, NYPD and Securitas let a kid in an NYCFC jersey come into one of our sections and start flipping everyone off and taunting and cursing at us. As soon as we respond and go after him, THEN The cops do their jobs.

Reminds me of Meadowlands security when we played the Rags.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Werder Bremen is looking to sell Aron Johansson. I know that Red Bull doesn't like to spend money on the MLS team anymore, but I think that he would help tremendously in this formation. Once Escobar is acclimated:

-------AJ--------BWP
-----------Sacha
-----Davis-------Felipe
Lawrence-------------Adams
-----Escobar-Long-Murillo

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I would love to get ArJo. Apparently RB tried to get Finlay from Columbus but they ended up trading him out of the conference to Minnesota. I think the transfer window is over tonight though.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
BWP: The Ultimate Scoring Machine. But the greatest thing tonight was Kaka playfully slapping Collin on the back of the head and clearly joking with a friend. We then had a 10 minute VAR delay after which he was sent off for violent conduct. I've been following MLS literally since the day it started and this may have been the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Also Sean Davis probably won goal of the week, and if he doesn't I would love to see the goal that tops it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad