OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
So what's new with American soccer and the national team?

Any home grown stars breaking in?

There is going to be a huge world cup qualifier game at red bull arena vs Costa Rica on September 1st. I highly recommend going, the atmosphere should be fantastic.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
There is going to be a huge world cup qualifier game at red bull arena vs Costa Rica on September 1st. I highly recommend going, the atmosphere should be fantastic.

Why would they play that game in Red Bull Arena, couldn't they draw more than 25k? I would think so for a WCQ game.

I'm just hoping the greedy USSF doesn't make tickets like $150 or something.

Tickets arent on sale yet?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I had no idea...maybe I will try to go if tickets aren't too exhorbitant.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why would they play that game in Red Bull Arena, couldn't they draw more than 25k? I would think so for a WCQ game.

Tickets arent on sale yet?
We played the last match vs T&T at DSG Park in Commerce City, CO where capacity is 18,000. The smaller venues are for atmosphere and to ensure a pro American crowd. If you've ever been to RBA you know the atmosphere when there is any kind of a crowd there is about the best you can get anywhere in the US.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Yea, they prefer <30k stadiums to keep the crowd intimate in a non-cavernous environment. US Soccer also gushed over how well everything ran during the friendly against Turkey leading up to 2014

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
We played the last match vs T&T at DSG Park in Commerce City, CO where capacity is 18,000. The smaller venues are for atmosphere and to ensure a pro American crowd. If you've ever been to RBA you know the atmosphere when there is any kind of a crowd there is about the best you can get anywhere in the US.

I'm sure it's awesome, I'm just surprised they wouldn't try to maximize ticket revenue. Unless I'm wrong and USMNT versus Costa Rica wouldn't go all that much more than 25,000.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

best soccer venue in america, now only rivaled by orlando city.

presently getting amped the **** up for tomorrow.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i forget kc more often than i should.

"avid" mls fan i am :laugh: (although the usmnt plays there often so woof)

portland gets points for being nestled in the middle of a residential neighborhood and half 90 year old relic [with sightlines that make sense for soccer; that european-esque-athletic-track curve the timbers army are on and corner suites because of the former baseball layout] and half brand new. they're gonna expand up to roughly 25,000 too by adding a second tier on the new stand/keybank club. that atmosphere is gonna be insane.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yeah it was a pathetic performance by the team. The NYCFC fans broke seats and threw beer... as expected....

As soon as stuff started to fly on the field, the VA and ESC board acted ridiculously quickly in getting those people thrown out. They did a good job. It's embarrassing because we all get lumped in with those losers.

I think it's time for Jesse Marsch to go. In case you were wondering what he did to prepare the team during the week leading up to the match, he did nothing. He was in Poland from Sunday til YESTERDAY taking UEFA coaching courses. He did not attend one practice. I'm getting sick of this.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I helped carry off a New England player off the field yesterday. That's my claim to fame at the moment

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
That Jack Harrison is an incredible winger. I hope we can get him on the USMNT.

Overall though, what an absolute clunker that was. Getting shutout at home is always a huge disappointment. That might have been the worst game that I have ever seen Sacha play.

Cann Red Bull please spend money on this team and get us a dynamic winger?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That Jack Harrison is an incredible winger. I hope we can get him on the USMNT.

Overall though, what an absolute clunker that was. Getting shutout at home is always a huge disappointment. That might have been the worst game that I have ever seen Sacha play.

Cann Red Bull please spend money on this team and get us a dynamic winger?

Jack is English.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
No, I know that. But isn't he eligible to play for the US? Like after a certain number of years or something?

If he is, then I'd be really happy. He would be a really good addition... My only problem is that he is so good, European clubs are going to be after him and one he moves over there for club football, the US is going to be a distant memory unfortunately.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Any NYCFC fan hooliganism in the stadium or at nearby bars?

I sat in front of the Third Fail:

At halftime, simply walking to get another beer, the jerks in the front row above the stairwell down to the concourse starting yelling obscenities directly at me for no reason and told me to "go back to Secaucus, New Jersey." :laugh:

In stoppage time, when there was a [borderline] missed foul on an NYC player, they continued to throw beer (I got sprayed a bit.) even though they were up 2-0 and managed to **** off even their own fans.

After the final whistle, just walking out, some ******* blocks the aisle and rams shoulders with me for no reason. I turn around and go, "Oh, sorry, am I in your way? *expletive*" He goes, "Yeah, you are," and double-takes at the security guard literally three feet away as I make a pantomime hand gesture right in his face and he does nothing.

They don't go to root for their team. They go to start ****. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->