OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I believe that was the first time an MLS club won the first leg of a CCL game in Mexico in like 28 tries. Robles was amazing. Parker was a beast. Wow.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well that was quite the beating administered, and with essentially a reserve side as well. We are very good, Portland is very bad. Poor Gio.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Bulls looked good today. Lots of skilled, fast, and young players. Their passing was very good tonight too

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Who does ESC need to get in contact with to get Taylor, Nico or NJ to show up and get on the perch as an honorary capo? We had Puckie last year, need to top that!

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Who does ESC need to get in contact with to get Taylor, Nico or NJ to show up and get on the perch as an honorary capo? We had Puckie last year, need to top that!

Nico would definitely do it. I'm not sure who to contact though. I'm sure you could try to message him on Twitter or email the Devils PR.

The devils and red bulls don't do nearly enough marketing together. I guess the red bulls don't want to associate themselves with new jersey

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Nico would definitely do it. I'm not sure who to contact though. I'm sure you could try to message him on Twitter or email the Devils PR.

The devils and red bulls don't do nearly enough marketing together. I guess the red bulls don't want to associate themselves with new jersey
I know Nico was at a game last year and they gave him a jersey. Devils had several Red Bulls players at a game last year (Sacha, BWP and someone else).

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017

its such a tough move from a marketing standpoint. just be happy we have a team i guess.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I guess the red bulls don't want to associate themselves with new jersey

that's why they built a premier training facility in east hanover and have the new jersey lottery, hackensack meridian, and horizon bcbsnj as sponsors.

casual reminder that rba is as easy to get to from lower manhattan and brooklyn as yankee stadium, if not easier.

rename and giants and jets.

what people should be happy about instead of dwelling on this is that even though they're called "new york" the entire infrastructure of the club exists in new jersey and is top class in the country, from the academy to the physical structures they use. if a new ownership regime ever came in, which isn't happening for the foreseeable future, the market and facilities that already exist pretty much guarantee new jersey will have top flight pro soccer for the indefinite future. meanwhile, the blue shite still plays in a baseball stadium and still doesn't have any plans whatsoever for their own ground.

if it still bothers you, just call them "red bull" or "metro."

anyway, the opener was a blast. really good to watch, glad i decided last second to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I hate that they have home games at the same time. I know there isn't that much or a crossover but on the 24th I'll be skipping the Red Bulls game because the Devils game will definitely be more important.

I also think they should do 2 for 1 deal. Get a ticket for a red bulls and Devils game for 50 bucks. It would at least let them branch out and get new people in both arenas.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I hate that they have home games at the same time. I know there isn't that much or a crossover but on the 24th I'll be skipping the Red Bulls game because the Devils game will definitely be more important.

I also think they should do 2 for 1 deal. Get a ticket for a red bulls and Devils game for 50 bucks. It would at least let them branch out and get new people in both arenas.

Yeah, both are Newark teams with Harrison just over the Passaic River.

Should have more cross marketing

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
and THAT ladies and gentlemen...... is what we call Tijuana Tuesday.

Wow what a performance over two legs... defeating the best defense in Liga MX by a score of 5-1. TFC beating Tigres is also huge. Seattle goes into Guadalajara tonight with a 2-1 advantage.... we could see three MLS teams in the CCL semi finals. We play the winner of Chivas G vs Seattle.

Also, talking about marketing. The Red Bulls and Devils are beginning to work with each other more. Players go to each other's games, Red Bulls season ticket holders got tickets to 3 or 4 Devils games this year, Devils STH just got tickets to the Red Bull home opener. It will get better.

For those who keep claiming that the Red Bulls "ignore" New Jersey.... you're just not paying attention. Besides having their training facility here, they have expanded their youth program to cover so much of NJ. They have 6 players from NJ on the roster (5 from NY). Red Bull 2 plays at Montclair State and they put money into improving the field at the school. Hell... just go to www.redbullsacademy.com and check out the partners they have with youth programs and school programs throughout NJ. They also have player signings in NJ frequently.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
caught the match right before his first ….incredible ****.

must see goal

the second is a disgusting travesty to the game with the change of the offside rule…….complete bull**** (the rule, not the header goal)

yeah i dunno about the second one. what do you mean about the 'change' tho?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
yeah i dunno about the second one. what do you mean about the 'change' tho?

its about not being 'involved in the play'

use to be straight up second-last man was essentially the blue line as usually the keeper is the last guy near the net

they changed it ….in '05 ….i lost my mind and was so pissed about it as at the time ive played for over 25 years as a defence with the old rule, a left back who used the ability to shout out strategies across the back line to everyone else ….either 'step up!!' to catch certain clubs that had the propensity to have over aggressive forwards ….. the offside trap :thumbu:

i played another 10 years with the change and it created such a subjective idea of what was 'on or off' …….f***ing stupid……..im still pissed about it now

stupid change

Offside (association football) - Wikipedia

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
so how does the change affect that goal?

wasnt he clearly offsides? looked like both d.... or atleast one d was behind him when the ball left the foot.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
so how does the change affect that goal?

wasnt he clearly offsides? looked like both d.... or atleast one d was behind him when the ball left the foot.

For the end of the play they said Zlatan was behind the ball. If you’re behind the ball then you’re not offside no matter where the defenders are.

For the start of the attack, Zlatan was in an offside position but did not attempt to play the ball which allowed his teammate to receive the pass after a few bounces. Plays like that can be BS because it’s hard for the defenders to react if they can’t be sure a player behind them is going to play the ball or not, it’s like a decoy that can’t play the ball but you can’t be 100% they won’t or that the refs won’t screw up the call.

Reactions: njdevils1982

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
For the end of the play they said Zlatan was behind the ball. If you’re behind the ball then you’re not offside no matter where the defenders are.

For the start of the attack, Zlatan was in an offside position but did not attempt to play the ball which allowed his teammate to receive the pass after a few bounces. Plays like that can be BS because it’s hard for the defenders to react if they can’t be sure a player behind them is going to play the ball or not, it’s like a decoy that can’t play the ball but you can’t be 100% they won’t or that the refs won’t screw up the call.

im a casual fan so ill say that first.

im ok with the start of the attack 'rule'. i think he should be allowed to back off and have someone who was on play it. seems fair. if he adjusted the d should too.

still dont get the cross tho. id have to watch it again but it looked like he was ahead of the ball along with the two defenders and i thought he was in front of both of the defenders. by a step. it looked close.

not complaining it was really a fun game to watch. just not clear on the rules i guess.

so just curious was it off or not?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
im a casual fan so ill say that first.

im ok with the start of the attack 'rule'. i think he should be allowed to back off and have someone who was on play it. seems fair. if he adjusted the d should too.

still dont get the cross tho. id have to watch it again but it looked like he was ahead of the ball along with the two defenders and i thought he was in front of both of the defenders. by a step. it looked close.

not complaining it was really a fun game to watch. just not clear on the rules i guess.

so just curious was it off or not?

He’s definitely behind all the defenders but I think it’s harder to say if he is behind the ball. I try to use the grass lines in the field and it seems really close. I haven’t seen a great angle on it as you would need one directly down the field from the ball but all the camera shots are from some sort of angle giving distortion.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
He’s definitely behind all the defenders but I think it’s harder to say if he is behind the ball. I try to use the grass lines in the field and it seems really close. I haven’t seen a great angle on it as you would need one directly down the field from the ball but all the camera shots are from some sort of angle giving distortion.

alright. either way it was good for growing the game. was fun to watch.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I think a defender would say the part that is unfair is that the attacker knows if he is going to try and play the ball while the defender has no idea.

Even if the attacker is offside, refs screw up not infrequently, so he may choose to play the ball, be offside, and the call is just missed.

So it can be really hard on the defender to judge what’s going on with the attacker in an illegal position. The defender is going to say it’s unfair to allow a player to be in an illegal position on the field but by his illegal positioning make the defenders job more difficult. The defender will say he should just stay onsides or be whistled as offsides.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
I think a defender would say the part that is unfair is that the attacker knows if he is going to try and play the ball while the defender has no idea.

Even if the attacker is offside, refs screw up not infrequently, so he may choose to play the ball, be offside, and the call is just missed.

So it can be really hard on the defender to judge what’s going on with the attacker in an illegal position. The defender is going to say it’s unfair to allow a player to be in an illegal position on the field but by his illegal positioning make the defenders job more difficult. The defender will say he should just stay onsides or be whistled as offsides.

so what if the guy who is off is on the other side of the field?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
and THAT ladies and gentlemen...... is what we call Tijuana Tuesday.

Wow what a performance over two legs... defeating the best defense in Liga MX by a score of 5-1. TFC beating Tigres is also huge. Seattle goes into Guadalajara tonight with a 2-1 advantage.... we could see three MLS teams in the CCL semi finals. We play the winner of Chivas G vs Seattle.

Also, talking about marketing. The Red Bulls and Devils are beginning to work with each other more. Players go to each other's games, Red Bulls season ticket holders got tickets to 3 or 4 Devils games this year, Devils STH just got tickets to the Red Bull home opener. It will get better.

For those who keep claiming that the Red Bulls "ignore" New Jersey.... you're just not paying attention. Besides having their training facility here, they have expanded their youth program to cover so much of NJ. They have 6 players from NJ on the roster (5 from NY). Red Bull 2 plays at Montclair State and they put money into improving the field at the school. Hell... just go to www.redbullsacademy.com and check out the partners they have with youth programs and school programs throughout NJ. They also have player signings in NJ frequently.

I was a devoted NY/NJ Metrostars fan, but after I left for college the team transformed itself into the NY Red Bulls, and I've never been able to get over (1) the dropping of the NJ part of the name, or (2) the turning the team name into a literal advertisement.

I pretty much abandoned MLS after that until I moved to Columbus, and I've been a pretty devoted Crew fan for the last six or seven years (Higuain and I came to town at about the same time). If MLS kills the Crew I'll be done with the league for real, this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad