OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Honduras also got screwed tonight by the bizarre, mystery, phantom Panama goal.

Honduras pulled off an exciting upset against Mexico, and should be going to the World Cup, instead, they now have to hope to win a play-in game.

Also instead, Panema IS 100% going to the world cup, and they should be eliminated. So the "goal that doesnt matter" directly affected the 2018 World Cup via THREE teams.

Yet by Devils86, "things pro-athletes are trained to say in press conferences" logic, Honduras has no reason to be upset either.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
BG and 731 thats a losers mentality. They finished with 12 points 12. Thats terrible. That goal only tied the game, without the second the US is in the playoffs. Win your ficking game. Holy Hell by saying that Panama goal makes any difference is letting that **** for effort team off the hook. Plus that would only have put us in the playoff.

Panama still didn't earn that spot because they didn't even score! Why do they deserve it? For celebrating a goal that never happened? What does that make Panama then? To me it makes them a team and a country that was given something that they didn't even earn.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Panama still didn't earn that spot because they didn't even score! Why do they deserve it? For celebrating a goal that never happened? What does that make Panama then? To me it makes them a team and a country that was given something that they didn't even earn.

It makes Panama a team that should have been mathematically eliminated tonight, but instead is going to be playing in the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

But hey.....doesnt matter. Just win. A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins. All the luck will balance out in the end. Do your job. There's no 'I' in team. And 100 other cliches that apparently matter instead.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Cliches, what like win your game against the worst team ?? Fact that goal only tied the game and happened in the 54th minute they still needed a second, Fact the US had its worst Hex ever getting only 12 points. Fact they lost 2 games for the first time ever on home soil. Fact in the entire qualifying process they won one game..one on the road against St Vincent"s .Fact they lost to a team that was 1-8 on a night where a tie puts them thru but I guess your right it one bad goal call on a goal that didnt even put them ahead was the reason why they didnt qualify..SMH

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
it one bad goal call on a goal that didnt even put them ahead was the reason why they didnt qualify..SMH

Literally? Yes. Literally.

You can speak about all the lost opportunities and terrible play prior to tonight and be correct, but it still doesn't change the fact that without the Panama phantom goal, the USA is alive right now and probably going to the World Cup, Honduras would BE going to the World Cup, and Panama would BE eliminated from the World Cup.

That one goal directly affected the life of 3 teams that will or will not be playing in the 2018 World cup. That's almost TEN PERCENT of the entire field, so yeah, I'd say it's important.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
I'll give you the point that Honduras has a right to gripe. We don't . If that game ends 1-1 . We go to the playoff, we would not have earned a spot tonight regardless. OMG boggles my mind how you can put any blame anywhere but directly on the US team.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Cliches, what like win your game against the worst team ?? Fact that goal only tied the game and happened in the 54th minute they still needed a second, Fact the US had its worst Hex ever getting only 12 points. Fact they lost 2 games for the first time ever on home soil. Fact in the entire qualifying process they won one game..one on the road against St Vincent"s .Fact they lost to a team that was 1-8 on a night where a tie puts them thru but I guess your right it one bad goal call on a goal that didnt even put them ahead was the reason why they didnt qualify..SMH

You’re the only one saying the false goal was the only thing that mattered to people.

I’m saying the team played like garbage and needs major changes. Also, a false goal is BS and cost the US.

Your position seems to be we can’t even acknowledge anything else in the world because the US played like garbage. That’s silly, it’s not like I’m playing in the match and getting distracted. A person can acknowledge multiple things to be true without excusing either.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
As BG said what about Honduras, they should be in the world cup and now have to go play Australia to try to make it in. How is that fair to them? It's ridiculous.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
And you have a crystal ball knowing how the rest of the 40 min would have been played.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
And you have a crystal ball knowing how the rest of the 40 min would have been played.

It's 2017 and would have taken a minute or less to review that goal, gimme a break. Get the damn calls right on something as big as this. It's not even an opinion on whether or not the ball went it, it's not even f***ing close at all on those replays!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I agree with the Honduras part.

No way. Honduras just needed to get another point so a fake goal wouldn’t put them in this spot. Don’t excuse Honduras not doing enough just because the refs screwed up in an enormous fashion.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Reading an article right now that claims it's a long-shot, but that both Honduras & USA have 21 days to file an appeal given they were both affected by the phantom goal.

Odds of success are probably 1 in 1,000,000, but they should both do it on principal.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Yea it wasnt a goal and it didnt put Panama ahead. They get no credit for getting the second one when the US couldn't ? For the US to be in that position where that call should should ever matter is the issue and these things work 2 ways. The play in the first half was clearly a penalty on I think it was Omar Gonzalez was not called. What is the conversion % from the spot 90 plus? So would either Panama or Honduras have right to bitch if we would have tied it at 2 because of a bad call in our game?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
No way. Honduras just needed to get another point so a fake goal wouldn’t put them in this spot.

LOL. Exactly.

How does one excuse results prior to tonight for one team that got screwed, but give no quarter to another team's results prior to tonight, who also got screwed.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Wrong BG because Honduras won their game.

That sounds like a loser mentality. You’re forgiving their earlier losses just because they won tonight? A real winner wouldn’t let themselves be in this spot.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
and you blame the US not making it on a singular call over a 10 game tourny. Ridiculous. Just saw a replay and Honduras was clearly offside on the 3rd goal. So you want to bitch and moan about that too.. For f***s sake they lost because they sucked over 10 games and choked when it counted most. Yea but you keep blaming a single call over 5400 plus minutes.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
and you blame the US not making it on a singular call over a 10 game tourny. Ridiculous. Just saw a replay and Honduras was clearly offside on the 3rd goal. So you want to bitch and moan about that too.. For ****s sake they lost because they sucked over 10 games and choked when it counted most. Yea but you keep blaming a single call over 5400 plus minutes.

For the last time not a single one of us said that was the only reason the US missed the world cup, it's still an absolute dog shit call and its wrong and Panama didn't deserve to be gifted a f***ing goal.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
FIFA didnt reverse the Henry handball in 2009, they arent reversing this.

and there is not a chance that a team that couldnt win in T&T has any hope in front of an AUSTRALIAN crowd.

Watch their 2005 playoff vs Uruguay as its my evidence.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
FIFA didnt reverse the Henry handball in 2009, they arent reversing this.

and there is not a chance that a team that couldnt win in T&T has any hope in front of an AUSTRALIAN crowd.

Watch their 2005 playoff vs Uruguay as its my evidence.
Seriously. Plus it's Cahill's last run to the World Cup and he plays like a superstar for Australia.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Hey, that's great.

Doesn't change the fact they're going home because FIFA screwed them (again). So the "other game" did matter, quite a bit as it sadly turned out.
They're going home because they're a poorly managed program with almost no players that you would call "quality" in the context of World Cup-level football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->